The Manor - Nice Video from the club

I had to visit the Manor hospital recently, three times in fact. Just been back for the third time on Wednesday and did that exact same walk around the building. As the boys said, its hard to really believe that we had a football ground on that very site. The bowls club is still there, which is a little surreal given how much everything else has changed. The framing shop which occupies the old club shop is run by a pleasant chap who does remember the club, not sure that he was a supporter but he does do some very good prints and a very good framing service!
It does, for me anyway, underscore the need for our club to have a proper stadium, a proper home and all the trimmings that deserve to be part of the club.
I really hope that the next 'journey' will lead us to that new home.

Just watching that walk up to the LRT brings it all back. Past Martin Brodetsky selling the fanzine at the entrance, noise of the crowd as you walked up.

Not sure about filming whilst in the gents mind...
That was too much even for a sicko like me.

Judging from the position of the camera during the game, they were only stood about 15-20 feet away from where I was. I was a good few rows further forward that night, but usually I used to stand really close to where they were.

I genuinely feel sorry for the supporters who never got to go there. I would give an awful lot for one more match.

One game to relive live? The Everton 1-0 in the 1st Division.
One to change a moment in? The back pass!

Just watching that walk up to the LRT brings it all back. Past Martin Brodetsky selling the fanzine at the entrance, noise of the crowd as you walked up.

Not sure about filming whilst in the gents mind...

The old bloke carrying 2 hot drinks in those awful small plastic cups also brought back memories of trying not to burn yourself carrying them as the liquid was always volcanically hot and would spill easily.

Also, that John Radcliffe pitch is no longer marked out/used as well.

Last game of 85/86 season. Billy Hamilton's Irish jig in front of the London Road after scoring our third against Arsenal. We trotted the Milk Cup round pitch afterwards.

Hard choice as so many games for many different reasons. When we beat Arsenal 3-2 in 1984 when top of Division 2 and they were top of Division 1. Even through what had gone before that was when I knew at that time we could beat anybody.

Another which came close was when we beat Man City 3-0 at home in the same season. I just had the feeling I knew we were going to win the Lg from that day. Don't think I've ever been as certain about something Oxford Utd since.

If I could go back for one game, it would either be the Milk Cup game v Newcastle in '83, or the 5-3 win over Swindon, when Joey and Chrissy Allen announced themselves as Oxford stars. The celebrations in the LRT when the goals went in still live with me, ending up 20 yards away from where we started when the celebrations died down, fighting back to where we started, only for us to score again and repeat all over again... 😁

Bloody miss that terrace.

The old bloke carrying 2 hot drinks in those awful small plastic cups also brought back memories of trying not to burn yourself carrying them as the liquid was always volcanically hot and would spill easily.

Also, that John Radcliffe pitch is no longer marked out/used as well.

Helicopter pad now..

Back
Top Bottom