General The Goalkeeping Dilemma

What should we do about the GK situation for 2022/23?

• Stick with Stevens - he's our No.1 and will come good again

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • Mix it up, Stevens and Eastwood. The latter is capable of being No.1 anyway

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Bring in someone new

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Bring Eastwood back in

Votes: 9 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirAndyOfCrosby

Plenty of discussion during the seasons as to the relative merits of Eastwood vs Stevens (and the odd suggestion that we need someone new), so felt it was worth looking at this area in isolation as to what we do this Summer.

Looking at the stats (yes, I know – not definitive) for last season, it doesn’t make for pleasant reading. As we know, we conceded 59 goals in 46 League games (joint 12th in the table) - too many for a promotion-chasing side. The ‘good’ news it at that our Expected Goals Against (xGA) ended up 6th best in League One.
So, on the face of it, it appears not necessarily to be an issue with conceding opportunities (which have fairly been attributed to factors such as a lack of CDM/replacement for Gorrin or the formations/lack of Full-Backs – and certainly worth acting and improving on), but more that we concede too many of the relatively few chances that we do give up (i.e. it’s Goalkeeping that is the issue).

Looking at the incumbents individually:
Eastwood – 14 League games, 16 goals conceded. 1.14 goals per game.
Stevens – 30 games, 42 conceded. 1.4 goals per game.
Not an awful lot in it, but Eastwood works out as 53 goals conceded over a whole season and Stevens at 64 - vs the actual of 59 in total (1 from Trueman).
Looking at the xGA at an individual level:
Eastwood – 16 goals conceded, xGA is 12.7. So he conceded 3 more goals than you would 'expect', across those 14 games (one 'extra' goal every 4.7 games).
Stevens – 37 goals conceded (these stats don’t include the 5 penalties faced – all scored), against a xGA of just 27.1. Therefore, by the stats alone, Jack conceded TEN more goals than you would have expected this season across 30 League games – so 1 extra goal in every 3 games. This is quite alarming. Only 2 Keepers sit below him in the stats for League One, and both had to face a significantly higher number of shots (so you could argue in their defence that the sheer volume of shots faced meant that they slipped up more than they ‘should’ have).
Putting it bluntly, Stevens record this season (judging by the Opta Stats) is quite simply – didn’t have an unreasonable amount to do, but didn’t do that particularly well (Eastwood stats don’t cover him in glory either).

It’s a difficult situation. Do we think Stevens can recapture his form of 2020/21? If not, we may well struggle to push on next season.
As I see it we have 3 likely options:

- 1. Persevere with Stevens in the hope he recaptures his previous form (which I’m sure is the preferred option for most on here).
- 2. As above, but more reliant on Eastwood (i.e. a bit of chopping and changing, in the hope they push each other on). Quite possibly ends up with Eastwood as No.1.
- 3. New GK in, cashing in on Stevens and having Eastwood as back-up.

Place your bets! I suspect KR hopes for 1, could end up going with 2, but ultimately it may need to be 3 for promotion.

Oh, and for anyone who doubts the quality of these stats I give you Michael Cooper at Plymouth, the man getting all the plaudits and the League One GK of the year.
Plymouth conceded the 5th fewest goals in League One. However, their xGA was 20th. A lack of OGs and Penalties (only 2 given away, 1 of which was scored) has helped here (as these are not included in the stats), but he was still ‘expected’ to concede 3 more goals than he did over the season – and he played every League game.

Tricky one. Eastwood is great to have on the staff but if someone offers a big wedge for Stevens I'd be tempted to take it and get in someone big and experienced. Alternatively loan out Stevens for a year and see if he recaptures his previous form.

Edit: my perception is certainly that in the second half of the season we didn't face loads of shots, but everything from the corner of the box or just outside went in.

Stevens will be number one. Eastwood will be back up. KR won’t budge on that I don’t think.

If it was up to me I’d try and get money for one of them and make the other back up while signing a top keeper on a long term deal..

Palmer from West Brom was who I wanted last year who had a good season at Lincoln under MApp

As I said on another thread, I'm normally a loyalist on the positivity bus, but too often this season, I've thought Stevens should have done better. The stats exactly confirm my impressions. As werthersoriginal says, especially vulnerable from outside the box or across his body from a fairly narrow angle.

Good discussion to have a sensible place for it. There's been too much reactionary 'both are crap, bin them both and bring another 'keeper in' nonsense.

Starting with Eastwood, I'm still surprised he signed that new deal and for as long as it was. He's good and he's adequate but the main downside is that he isn't going to get any better. We've seen everything we're going to see from and, if we're relying on him for a full campaign, I would be worried. I don't see him being good enough as a regular for a promotion winning side. He's too quiet, doesn't play on the front foot like Stevens does but is possibly a better rounded keeper.

Stevens has not had a great campaign. The stellar worldie stops of 2020-21 just haven't been there this time around (think Shrewsbury last year in the 3-2 win) and I can't put my finger on why. He hasn't become a bad 'keeper overnight nor at 24 reached his peak with us so my inkling is to have a reset in the summer, get fit and focussed and start next season with an eye to playing every league game. Focus on those shots from distance and keep working on the kicking. One aspect to consider is that it's been an interrupted campaign for Stevens. First COVID and then glandular fever. Without knowing too much about either, both of those illnesses can have detrimental effects on performance. They can take a while to recover from so that may have had something to do with his performances. Regardless of reasons, Stevens has to step it up again. 2020-21 he was great. 2021-22 he wasn't.

You won't be cashing in on either after the current campaign. We're going into next season with both.

It was an odd season for our goalies.

Eastwood ended it with his reputation enhanced (from a low bar set in 20/21), while Stevens ended it with his reputation lowered (after a high bar set in 20/21).

I think both are solid at this level. Not the best in the division by any means (although Eastwood has bags of experience, while Stevens has lots of potential) but we’re certainly not in Buchel/Slocombe territory where it feels like they are going to make a clanger in every game.

I think we’ll probably stick with both and I’m not against that - particularly given that there are other parts of the squad which certainly need improving more.

i wrote 2 seasons back and got shot down for it that you cannot beat having a settled back 6, I include the much underrated Gorrin in this

Last edited by a moderator:
As first-team keepers go we have a good pair with a good balance of experience and youth.
Any mistakes they both make are highlighted because of the playing position.
Both have weaknesses but neither are Mike Salmon.
:)

As first-team keepers go we have a good pair with a good balance of experience and youth.
and to be fair, other than 2 obvious well documented errors neither have made mistakes that led to goals....Preventing shots going in is open to opinion

To be fair to Mike Salmon he was a good goalkeeper, we unfortunately had him when he was passed his sell by date just like John Milkins for those old enough to remember him.

I'd sell Stevens if there's a reasonable offer on the table, keep Eastwood as a capable backup and look to bring in someone better than both as first choice. Preferably someone taller and more commanding, who you'd trust to come and claim a cross and inspire confidence in the defence. A solid keeper is the foundation of a good defence and is something we've missed since Eastwood's levels dropped off.

To be fair to Mike Salmon he was a good goalkeeper, we unfortunately had him when he was passed his sell by date just like John Milkins for those old enough to remember him.

Very past his sell by date …

Nods to Wilsterman, Robinson and Gilchrist for being rubbish too.

Last edited:
We need an experienced, first team ready keeper and money should be spent in this key area. One of Eastwood or Stevens can then go, whoever stays will make a decent back up.

Very past his sell by date …

Nods to Wilsterman, Robinson and Gilchrist for being for being rubbish too.
Left at half time. My dad was working so my mum took me instead. She was so happy to only have to watch half the match that she let me have fish and chips for tea.

We need an experienced, first team ready keeper and money should be spent in this key area. One of Eastwood or Stevens can then go, whoever stays will make a decent back up.

Agree, while the defence has been poor this season overall we haven't had a decent quality keeper behind them bossing their area and reassuring the players in front. Keep Eastwood as back up and loan Jack Stevens out if we have to.

Not so sure how that works to be honest, if neither are thought good enough by posters then little mileage in having as a backup surely.

Back
Top Bottom