The gay footballer on twitter

Retired or not it was still way harder for Fashanu 30 years ago than it will be for this player now hence him ultimately taking his life. I don’t know the history surrounding his suicide but my guess is that ‘coming out’ back then had at least some impact in the turmoil he was going through.

This unnamed player is going to be attributed almost hero status in the media and beyond and it will probably enhance his status in the game, irrespective of his talent.

In my opinion the two are incomparable. One was cornered into committing suicide, the other will be hero worshipped in a modern day society that tends to embrace these situations with outpourings of endless support.

This forum tends to represent most corners of society and I've never seen an anti gay sentiment on it. Nor are there any anti gay or disapproving comments on this thread.

This appears to be a non issue.

Problem with "social media" is that its easy to set up a fake profile, post a message then that gets ripped into by trolls & ejits on the net.

Does that make it easier to come out or harder? I don`t know.

I would rather the player just did it through a more stable/reputable media and that`s that.

In my younger days I`ve happily sung along to homophobic/racist/misogynistic songs at the football.....not because I am any of those things, but its part of the learning curve of life as to what is acceptable or not...... it makes you think and I wouldn`t do it now................I`ve "grown up" !

Unless it`s Swindon.........then its allowed. ? ?

Whatever happens, it's a sign of real progress that this individual is even considering this. I remember on a few occasions when we were playing away at Kidderminster (late 90s/early 00s I think), they had a player with a peroxide blonde haircut who had the chant 'Gayboy, Gayboy' directed at him for a lot of the game. It was sort of accepted at the time or at least people didn't feel brave enough to complain about it in any numbers. I honestly couldn't see that happening now.

Stats suggest it's 1 in 10 people who are gay and so that's about 3 in every first team/U23 squad.
Pretty sure that player was Bo Henriksen, a quality striker in the lower leagues for a few seasons. Remember the chants too, always easy to remember because the roof was so low at kiddy that away fans could make so much noise.

Once he had retired. Not whilst he was still playing iirc
Just googled it. Killed himself when he was 37 after coming out towards the end of his career. Paid 75k by his brother to keep it quiet. Guess he didn’t get over it as quickly as you @dickwalton1964
I think you have to be a bit careful the way you have linked those two together, we were not so aware of mental health issues then as that we are today.

I'm waiting for it be advertising a new LBGT+ clothes shop or something a bit like the 'Angel skeleton' in a Simpsons episode that was a marketing ploy for a new Shopping Centre.

Two of my cousins are gay, one I suspected years ago and he is now happily married to another man. My nephew went to a gay wedding recently and enjoyed it very much, Paul Gambaccini was one of the guests too.
Gay people in my experience have a lot of positives. One of which is their creativity, and one which I have had first hand experience is their generosity and kindness.
It was always bad years ago. Not only was it difficult to admit being gay, it was also hard not to be the target of homophobic crime.
There must be hundreds of gay professional footballers yet to come out

It is important that gay people come out if they feel able to. As a result most of us now know some gay people and it’s no longer an odd’ other thing. There may not be hundreds of gay pro footballers - but there will certainly be several

What is needed is for fans to stop Neanderthals from shouting/chanting anything homophobic. Racist comments are not tolerated, homophobic comments should also be included.
Not easy I know but it’s needed.

Two of my cousins are gay, one I suspected years ago and he is now happily married to another man. My nephew went to a gay wedding recently and enjoyed it very much, Paul Gambaccini was one of the guests too.
Gay people in my experience have a lot of positives. One of which is their creativity, and one which I have had first hand experience is their generosity and kindness.
It was always bad years ago. Not only was it difficult to admit being gay, it was also hard not to be the target of homophobic crime.
There must be hundreds of gay professional footballers yet to come out

Ermm I understand the sentiment behind your message but isn't the point of the gay footballer coming out proving that your sexuality doesn't make you more of this or less of that?

I also know a few people who identify as LGBTQ+ who are very crearive, generous and kind, but I also know a few who are absolute knobs.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a generous, kind and creative footballer.

I wonder if more strikers and attacking midfielders are um gay than hairy-chested defenders and dependable midfield stoppers?

As for Neanderthals, they died out about 30,000 years ago. Lucky buggers.

They provided a chunk of our DNA before they did so which means that while most of us are mixed-race somewhere in our heritage, all of us are mixed-species.
That'll please some people :)

Quite so. I had Wiliam Burroughs analyse my semen some years ago and he assured me I am more than 20% saurian.

I just love basking in the sun.

the account has been deleted on twitter, the last tweet was "I thought I was stronger. I was wrong", hope this wasn't a joke account and if true - hope he gets the support he needs and continues playing to best of his ability.

• React
Reactions: m
Complete and utter pile of BS in my humble. Just reveals "the joy" of social media, the account could have been created by anyone!
It maybe even to try and pressure an unknown person to come out and, if that is the case, it is truly shocking.
No winners in this mess at all.

Back
Top Bottom