The gap between the divisions visible last night?

Do you think Referees should publicly explain their performance in post match interviews?

• Yes - and their performance publicly assessed by the fourth official/assessor

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

Oldman159

Actually, I'm not talking about the teams, nor their performance (it was not as bigger gap as expected. We gave them a hard game. Well done all.)

I mean the standard of officiating on show. The likes of Kettle and Drysdale (plus a few others at our level) should be forced to watch videos of last nights match continuously until they finally learn that bias and outright cheating have no place in any league....

Just sayin!

To be fair, I think it's much easier for the ref when the game is played in the right spirit by two teams concentrating on playing good football, as it was last night. He didn't have a huge amount to do. The Cancelo flop was shameful but I'm not really sure what more he could have done to address that situation.

I’ve always been a exponent for referee’s facing the media or at least them releasing a post-match statement to justify their decisions after games. It clears up any issues and could actually improving understanding of the more obscure rules of the game with fans too.

The FA seem to want to protect refs at all instances but I think if they make a decision they should be able to justify it publicly. If they make a wrong call and say they got it wrong, fair enough. They have split second decisions to make and borderline calls will always occur in football. Sometimes you win them, sometimes you lose them. What I would want is for hopeless refs like Kettle to finally be exposed for making too many errors.

Andrew Madley refed the game well yesterday and the linos got all the offside calls right. We got a bit of luck with the rolling ball for the freekick and they got lucky with a few freekick calls from our dead ball deliveries, but overall he was barely noticeable and that’s what you want from a good ref.

I quite liked KR's suggestion a few weeks back when both managers' have 2 questions each to ask the Ref that they answer publically 30 minutes later or so. KR mentioned one Ref told him he just couldn't see one incident where KR thought it was obvious, which he accepted.

My only concern is we will have Ill informed/just plain wrong pundits*, waxing lyrically about how wrong the Ref is. But on balance I do like KR's suggestion as it opens up the subject without being an interrogation of every decision.

*How many actually know the rules themselves? I reckon very few including the ex-players (Robbie Savage immediately springs to mind).

Whilst having referees interviewed post match is undoubtedly a good idea as it makes them more accountable, it won't address the main problem of raising the standards.
The gap in standards between divisions is huge and getting worse - probably due to the introduction of VAR in the PL.
The number of officials required for a PL match this season is 6, up from 4 last season - 4 at the game plus 2 in Stockley Park for VAR.
I'm guessing these additional refs, on a Saturday at least, would otherwise be doing Championship, who in turn will pinch the best officials from L1 etc.
So another example of the lower leagues paying the price for the excesses of the plastic PL?

I voted no because I don’t think it will really help. It’s not like they are public officials who need to be made accountable. Sure get boris to explain his lies and JC explain his non-commits approach, but these are just people doing their job. Making lorry drivers (or whomever else) publically explain their decisions won’t make them better drivers, but might make them look for a different job.

The ref sometimes comes on the TV after the game in the Bundesliga to explain their decisions. It's amazing how much people accept a decision when it's explained to them, even if they still think it's wrong.

To be fair, I think it's much easier for the ref when the game is played in the right spirit by two teams concentrating on playing good football, as it was last night. He didn't have a huge amount to do. The Cancelo flop was shameful but I'm not really sure what more he could have done to address that situation.

It would be interesting to see how the same officials would handle the anti-football that we can expect on Saturday

Given Cancelo kicked out at Mackie I would think if the ref had properly seen it the £60million man would have had his marching orders (likely Mackie too).

It would be interesting to see how the same officials would handle the anti-football that we can expect on Saturday
You seriously saying Wycombe are top only because they play “ anti-football”.
And we’re 8th because we don’t .

The ref sometimes comes on the TV after the game in the Bundesliga to explain their decisions. It's amazing how much people accept a decision when it's explained to them, even if they still think it's wrong.
That happens in Holland too.

I quite liked KR's suggestion a few weeks back when both managers' have 2 questions each to ask the Ref that they answer publically 30 minutes later or so. KR mentioned one Ref told him he just couldn't see one incident where KR thought it was obvious, which he accepted.

My only concern is we will have Ill informed/just plain wrong pundits*, waxing lyrically about how wrong the Ref is. But on balance I do like KR's suggestion as it opens up the subject without being an interrogation of every decision.

*How many actually know the rules themselves? I reckon very few including the ex-players (Robbie Savage immediately springs to mind).
Womble will be looking down on you from above and yelling, "they're not rules, they're the laws of the game."

Womble will be looking down on you from above and yelling, "they're not rules, they're the laws of the game."

I realised after I wrote it but couldn't be bothered to change it as the meaning was clear.

Where did I say any of that??
If you expect Wycombe not to demonstrate high levels of “gamesmanship” when they play us then you are going to be severely disappointed.

Well it's far from being imaginary, that's for sure.

Wycombe have only scored 1.5 goals per league game, but concede around about 0.75.

We've already scored 7 more goals than them in one less game.

I have no problem with any club for being circumspect where necessary and playing within their constraints. (I DO have a problem with Wycombe being as nasty and cynical as they are, and fully expect them to shut-up-shop today if they take a 1-0 lead at any point).

I'm the first to offer admiration for teams that build a reputation on being compact and hard to beat (hon mention, Northampton under Wilder) but I just cannot laud Wycombe's anti-football, for that is unequivocally what it is.

Back
Top Bottom