The championship

Can just picture it us in the bottom 4 this time next year in the championship and this forum
Calling for kr and tiger to go ? I’d rather be a Wigan/Barnsley and yo yo between the 2 divisions for a few Seasons than just be a mid table league 1 team for the next 10 years lol

Can just picture it us in the bottom 4 this time next year in the championship and this forum
Calling for kr and tiger to go ? I’d rather be a Wigan/Barnsley and yo yo between the 2 divisions for a few Seasons than just be a mid table league 1 team for the next 10 years lol
Yes that’s the next step I think. At the end of the day that would be profitable and very good exciting entertainment

Putting it into perspective, this time ten years ago we were in the Conference. Anything that happens is a bonus - to be unbeaten in 16 in League One is an absolute dream compared to some of the teams we were playing against a decade ago. Maybe we will go up this year, maybe we won't, but personally I'm delighted with how we're playing at the minute and how far we've come. COYY!

Think the stadium rent goes up if we get into the Championship which doesn’t help

Information in accounts might not tell the full story, but for what it is worth here is a bit of data from Burton:

Year endLeague finishTurnoverOperating profit/(loss)Staff costs
May 2018Championship – 23rd12,920,591(292,711)9,953,274
May 2017Championship – 20th11,442,6621,344,2667,671,313
May 2016League One – 2nd4,240,834(3,983)3,641,823
May 2015League Two – 1st2,708,642(444,514)2,652,712

In 2017 Burton showed it was possible to survive in the Championship. They increased turnover by 170% whilst total staff costs went up 111%. They also turned a tidy profit of £1.3m.

In 2018 Burton got relegated. Turnover increased another 13% (which at least suggests it isn't entirely dependent on survival) although staff costs began to catch up, increasing by 30%. It's worth noting that the operating loss turned into a profit of circa £0.5m when you took into account player trading.

In their 2018 accounts they also show a split of turnover - £11m was commercial, the rest gate receipts (therefore we can say commercial actually means 'things that aren't ticket money'). In 2017, just shy of £10m was commercial. That gives a pretty big hint at where the jump in turnover from League One to the Champ comes from.

More importantly, last year Burton finished 9th in League One and reached the semi final of a major cup. This year they are currently 14th, and they taught us a lesson on our own patch. Their stadium holds less than 7k, and given their history I think it's fair to say they are still punching way above their own weight. They are probably an exceptionally run club and it wouldn't be easy to emulate, but I'd suggest romping through the leagues has hardly been ruinous on the pitch (although it'd be nice to see accounts for May 2019 and see how things looked back in League One).

Anyone interested in how OUFC stack up:

Year endLeague FinishTurnoverOperating profit/(loss)
May 2018League One – 16th5,589,591(4,247,615)
May 2017League One – 8th6,987,288(1,521,411)
May 2016League Two – 2nd5,148,655(1,814,396)
May 2015League Two – 13th2,923,623(2,371,803)

You can see that we were actually in a pretty similar place in 2015. Burton then started to move ahead of us on the pitch, but we had higher income in 2016 in League Two than they had, a full division higher (Wembley probably helped!). However, if you compare like-for-like numbers in League One or League Two then we are always ahead.

Our operating loss figures should be taken with caution because we all know that Ox have sold plenty of players during this stretch, which isn't included.

It's also worth remembering the John Lennon quote, 'life is what happens when you are busy making other plans'. I would never wish away a charge for promotion just because the infrastructure might be better in two years time. If you could win promotion whenever you really wanted it, every team would be promoted every year. We could sell players, lose players, lose managers, there could be better teams - football changes overnight, if we don't go up this year there is no reason we couldn't be relegated back into League Two the year after.

The price of the stadium probably increases with promotion, but it must be easier to secure financing when you are higher profile, when you have more fans coming into the ground and more commercial money through the door. When you sell players, they probably sell for more. Besides which, promotion would mean we have had a 2019/20 campaign that will be talked about in the same way as 2010, 2015 or anything before that. We'll have a better shot at keeping our best players, and we'll have at least a season in the Championship, testing our mettle against bigger and better sides. And Reading.

I’d be happy switching between L1 and the championship for some years.
I once heard David Pleat say he’d rather finish 18th or 19th every season in Division One rather than drop to Division Two.
I am sure I wouldn’t rather see struggle season after season in the same league with crowds struggling.
Burton is a gold role model and it looks sustainable. What has happened to Luton looks dire. A 0-7 reverse will do their confidence a lot of harm in their current situation.
Barnsley only got their second win and Wigan look on a bad run too.
Surprised Reading are doing well

I’d say we have 9 championship quality players already in the squad,
Easty, dickie, Moore,Gorrin,brannagan,fosu,Taylor,Henry,
Baptiste

wouldn’t have to go wild on players
If and it’s a big if we get promoted, I’d love Leeds/derby/Birmingham etc here and going away obviously

It’d be nice to get Brighton home and away too.
I think Leeds will be going up, but Reading would be a good encounter.
long way to go. If we don’t go up we might lose a couple of players or more

Watford will be a close one should we go up as unless they get a miracle they look doomed to relegation.

Although not the first time Leeds looked like they were going up!

I personally had my fill with them in the cups a few years back. I would not mind another trip to Boro though.

Going back to the points in the OP, i think it’s important to note who the team was doing the thrashing. Brentford are never going to be considered a massive club with a big fanbase, theyre just highlighting what can be achieved by anyone, just as long as things are done sensibly

Information in accounts might not tell the full story, but for what it is worth here is a bit of data from Burton:

Year endLeague finishTurnoverOperating profit/(loss)Staff costs
May 2018Championship – 23rd12,920,591(292,711)9,953,274
May 2017Championship – 20th11,442,6621,344,2667,671,313
May 2016League One – 2nd4,240,834(3,983)3,641,823
May 2015League Two – 1st2,708,642(444,514)2,652,712
In 2017 Burton showed it was possible to survive in the Championship. They increased turnover by 170% whilst total staff costs went up 111%. They also turned a tidy profit of £1.3m.

In 2018 Burton got relegated. Turnover increased another 13% (which at least suggests it isn't entirely dependent on survival) although staff costs began to catch up, increasing by 30%. It's worth noting that the operating loss turned into a profit of circa £0.5m when you took into account player trading.

In their 2018 accounts they also show a split of turnover - £11m was commercial, the rest gate receipts (therefore we can say commercial actually means 'things that aren't ticket money'). In 2017, just shy of £10m was commercial. That gives a pretty big hint at where the jump in turnover from League One to the Champ comes from.

More importantly, last year Burton finished 9th in League One and reached the semi final of a major cup. This year they are currently 14th, and they taught us a lesson on our own patch. Their stadium holds less than 7k, and given their history I think it's fair to say they are still punching way above their own weight. They are probably an exceptionally run club and it wouldn't be easy to emulate, but I'd suggest romping through the leagues has hardly been ruinous on the pitch (although it'd be nice to see accounts for May 2019 and see how things looked back in League One).

Anyone interested in how OUFC stack up:

Year endLeague FinishTurnoverOperating profit/(loss)
May 2018League One – 16th5,589,591(4,247,615)
May 2017League One – 8th6,987,288(1,521,411)
May 2016League Two – 2nd5,148,655(1,814,396)
May 2015League Two – 13th2,923,623(2,371,803)
You can see that we were actually in a pretty similar place in 2015. Burton then started to move ahead of us on the pitch, but we had higher income in 2016 in League Two than they had, a full division higher (Wembley probably helped!). However, if you compare like-for-like numbers in League One or League Two then we are always ahead.

Our operating loss figures should be taken with caution because we all know that Ox have sold plenty of players during this stretch, which isn't included.

It's also worth remembering the John Lennon quote, 'life is what happens when you are busy making other plans'. I would never wish away a charge for promotion just because the infrastructure might be better in two years time. If you could win promotion whenever you really wanted it, every team would be promoted every year. We could sell players, lose players, lose managers, there could be better teams - football changes overnight, if we don't go up this year there is no reason we couldn't be relegated back into League Two the year after.

The price of the stadium probably increases with promotion, but it must be easier to secure financing when you are higher profile, when you have more fans coming into the ground and more commercial money through the door. When you sell players, they probably sell for more. Besides which, promotion would mean we have had a 2019/20 campaign that will be talked about in the same way as 2010, 2015 or anything before that. We'll have a better shot at keeping our best players, and we'll have at least a season in the Championship, testing our mettle against bigger and better sides. And Reading.
thanks for looking this up.
Another point to factor in. That includes all staff costs for 393 people, and as Burton own their stadium, will include a lot of staff costs that we don't have. Sadly it doesn't split between players and other staff. I guess player costs are all in cost of sales though, which was £10.2M in 2017/18 up from £7.9M.

It's also worth remembering the John Lennon quote, 'life is what happens when you are busy making other plans'.

That quote is from a 1957 cartoon by Allen Saunders. As usual, there's nothing original from Lennon.

After the 7-0 thrashing Luton received earlier at Brentford. It got me thinking are we actually ready to go up and compete in that league. Obviously we can improve the squad but unless we have a healthy budget we could struggle like they are which might have more of a negative affect to the club than staying in league 1 and progressing more in the cups.
Luton I think have suffered from changes in managers. Jones then Harford both leaving.
Luton were far better than Charlton last season and they are looking pretty safe without spending a lot on players?
With regard to whether we would struggle, if we are well managed, continue very good recruitment and maybe get a couple of quality loanees ( we seem to be impressing Liverpool by all accounts), then I cant see why we shouldn't do OK.
We have players who I reckon are Championship level already.
Just over recent years, Huddersfield won promotion to the PL having the second lowest budget after Burton. Burton stayed up a couple of times. Millwall (and now Charlton) have done OK having gone up as play off winners.
Oh and in L1 there is the small matter of Sunderland with a relatively massive budget well behind Wycombe with a relatively small budget in the League.

Back
Top Bottom