The Big Night In

MC Yellow

Just want to say how great it is so see everyone come together at times like these.

As a nation I think we are awesome when it comes to fundraising events and the incredible public generosity. We have Comic Relief, Children in Need, Sports Relief to name just a few.

We also have the likes of Captain Tom and the incredible amount of money that he has raised recently through such generosity of others.

I know countries around the world must have big fund raising events, but do they come anywhere near to how we do it in the UK?

Anyone on here have any stories about how other countries fund raise like this?

Feeling proud of our nation.

Sorry I don`t support such events. I find it rather irksome having multi-millionaire "celebrities" waving a begging bowl in our collective faces.
The majority of the British public donate to charities chosen for personal reasons in a quiet, unassuming way.
Captain Tom encapsulates something that is rare to behold, true British spirit, and it is why he appeals or connects to so many people. Stoic, brave, determined and unassuming. He is everything that "TV Money Grabs" aren`t.

Sorry I don`t support such events. I find it rather irksome having multi-millionaire "celebrities" waving a begging bowl in our collective faces.
The majority of the British public donate to charities chosen for personal reasons in a quiet, unassuming way.
Captain Tom encapsulates something that is rare to behold, true British spirit, and it is why he appeals or connects to so many people. Stoic, brave, determined and unassuming. He is everything that "TV Money Grabs" aren`t.
Was Chris Martin involved? He loves a cause.

Agree with a lot of that. Problem is, anyone who doesn't fall in square behind every charity or goodwill 'event' might just be seen as cynical and miserable.

Take Captain Tom. His walk was a fantastic effort supported by the public to a remarkable extent. Enter Michael Ball and his 'duet' with the Captain. Who was that more about? A 99 year old who could barely talk the words 'you'll never walk alone' let alone sing them, or Michael Ball?

And what about the Thursday night clap around in support of the NHS (initially, then a variety of heroes)? Superficially you can't fault the motive, but who gets the feeling it's largely tokenism? How many happy clappers will offer to do the weekly shop for a time-pressed nurse in their street? How many will br clogging up A&E with a cut finger once the crisis passes? How many will be willing to pay more tax to sustain the NHS going forward?

We do a lot of good work in this country, but I see no evidence that we do more (or do it better) than any other country. Many are looking for a cause, and Covid-19 is currently a handy cause to hang your hat on.

I'd add the jumping on the Clap for the NHS by businesses in their adverts for commercial benefit, whilst predictable, is irritating.

I certainly agree with the sentiment about celebrities. I would add to that the bucket collections outside doors of supermarkets. For some reason I find this a bit in your face and it makes me feel uneasy. At least with TV events you can turn them off. I prefer to make my own personal monthly/annual donations and ad hoc sponsorships like everybody else, mainly to animal and cancer charities in my case.

I was referring more to the generosity of the British public in general and the lengths people will go to to raise interest and awareness rather than the actual medium of how the money is raised.

But love it or hate it, the methodology gets people motivated and is a conduit for the cause.

Back
Top Bottom