Ex Player The best of the fasties

Golden Dr Otto

So just thought it would be interesting to have a debate. Who is best out of the following and why?

1. Chris Allen

2. Chris Hackett

3. Gavin Whyte

I’ve only seen whyte on I follow so maybe can’t comment on him. Allen ahead of Hackett any day for me because of the product at the end of the run. I remember Hackett often ending up at the byline with the ball and it going out for a goal kick.

A great question which should lead to lively debate!

The barely-concealed xenephobe in me puts Whyte in third place, he's not 'proper Oxford' like the other two.

The other two I can't choose between. Imagine having them both whizzing down the wings in our current side! With the crosses they'd whip in it wouldn't matter that we don't have a striker who can head the ball.

I’ve only seen whyte on I follow so maybe can’t comment on him. Allen ahead of Hackett any day for me because of the product at the end of the run. I remember Hackett often ending up at the byline with the ball and it going out for a goal kick.

Allen use to kick it to far ahead of himself and couldn’t catch up ?
Especially down the slope!

I would say at this best Chris Allen was the best.
He scored the equaliser in the 5 5 draw with Pompey and I remember him scoring at Watford.
Forest paid around 400k for him? So he played in the Top division I think.
Gavin Whyte has the potential to be a very good player. On the basis that Callum is playing for a successful Championship team there us no reason Gavin couldn't do at least as well.

• React
Reactions: Ian
4. George Lawrence, such entertainment. He bamboozled so many defenders that they didn't get near him, the main reason being he didn't know what he was doing himself!
This. How many times did Lawrence beat the fullback, turn round, beat him again, tread on the ball, beat the fullback again, before crossing onto the forehead of Biggins or Vinter to score... And with Brock the other side of the pitch who is up there with Paul Simpson as the best crosser of the ball we've ever had, no wonder we tore sides apart... Those were the days...

This. How many times did Lawrence beat the fullback, turn round, beat him again, tread on the ball, beat the fullback again, before crossing onto the forehead of Biggins or Vinter to score... And with Brock the other side of the pitch who is up there with Paul Simpson as the best crosser of the ball we've ever had, no wonder we tore sides apart... Those were the days...
Simon's long range efforts were a bit special too.....especially remember a screamer he scored at the skip (football league trophy) which ended 3-3 aet...yokel announcer was at near heart attack levels informing the hoardes of away fans what time the last train was leaving for Didcot & no one left .....(we lost on pens aet)

I loved watching Lawrence, I remember him just getting his head down and running full pelt down the wing. I swear if there hadn’t been that wall in front of the London Rd end he wouldn’t have stopped until he was in the supporters club bar with a pint and packet of crisps ?

Billy Whitehurst or Steve Perryman definitely slowest.

Billy Whitehurst or Steve Perryman definitely slowest.

Got to go some to beat Lee Jarman or Ian McGuckin for being the slowest. Perryman and Big Billy would have beaten them in a sprint.

Whilst he didn't do the fancy stuff like beat players as Joey did, Stuart Massey was a fantastic crosser of the ball. He was so missed after injury ended his career.

Also, Dave Langan was a fantastic crosser as well but I agree I think Paul Simpson just edges it.

How many goals did Dave Langan set up, what a player, a true club legend. Best fullback I've seen.

He was class. Another quality right back who could really cross a ball was David Bardsley. Bloody hell we've had some quality.

Last edited:
Of the two Chrises - Allen was on a whole other level compared to Hackett.

Yes they were both quick and caused defenses a whole heap of problems when they got going......but Hackett was doing that exclusively in the lower leagues, and it earned him a 20k transfer to Hearts where he couldn't get a game in the SPL. Allen was doing it in the second tier, before earning a 400k transfer to Premier League Nottingham Forest where he played quite a bit for a couple of years.

Admittedly the teams Allen was playing in were better - but so were the defenses that he left in his wake.

As for Whyte - we can decide after he's played another hundred games!

Back
Top Bottom