The best atmosphere

Blox21

I’m just back from Rangers v Villarreal at Ibrox where the atmosphere was absolutely incredible.
Just wondering what’s the best atmosphere at a game you’ve witnessed ?

England v Scotland euro 96. Red hot weather and beating the sweaties, bloody marvellous.
With oxford I think probably the home semi final against Villa in the Milk Cup. The reality that we were actually going to Wembley when that final whistle went was like nothing I’d experienced at football before!

England v Scotland euro 96. Red hot weather and beating the sweaties, bloody marvellous.
With oxford I think probably the home semi final against Villa in the Milk Cup. The reality that we were actually going to Wembley when that final whistle went was like nothing I’d experienced at football before!

That England vs Scotland game was rather enjoyable. England vs Holland was amusing as even though we hammered them, both sets of fans celebrating together after the Scots were knocked out was a beautiful moment.

Not old enough to remember the 80s. But I remember the atmosphere being electric at the Manor when we played Chelsea in the FA Cup 4th round in 1999. The city had been buzzing all day, then we completely out classed them on the pitch. When Windass made it 1-0 the noise was unreal.
I would also put Middlesbrough away up there, the other season when we equalised 2-2.
It's a shame we didn't go on to win both of those games. Probably deserved it on both occasions

the 3rd of 3 League cup games ( back in the days of replays...not the lottery of penalty shoot outs) v Man Utd.... they had arguably the best manager we never had as their manager , Big Ron AKA Mr Bojangles, we had definately the best Manager we ever had Jim Smith AKA The Bald Eagle as ours. Atmosphere that night was a bit good, especially when Steve Biggins headed winner went in

Also in the league cup (84 , i think ?) coming from behind to beat Arsenal 3-2 at the manor under lights

Home in the FA Cup in '64 to then Mighty Blackburn Rovers, winning 3-1 Big Ron chaired of the pitch
loosing the next round at home to PNE (robbed imo by officials not grasping the then new(ish) offside rule)

are 3 others that come to mind where atmosphere was a a bit special too

EDIT - realised the above were all (proper) cup competitions, when both Football League Cup and FA Cup were valued by ALL football clubs, unlike these days when top level (Premiershit) clubs disrespect lower league opposition and the competitions by playing weakened teams ( cup competition winnings being peanuts, in comparison to the obscenely ridiculous riches that go with Premier league status !-'they can afford £250,000 each to grease the palm of an outgoinf official, yet that kind of sum could mean the difference between survival & administration for L1 & L2 clubs) .... It is ALL about the money to those in the top flight of English football,... which it the way it has been since the Premier league splitters broke away from Football League

Last edited:
My memories of that semi was of a really nervy ground, especially when it got pulled back to 2-1. Although the ground went nuts when the final whistle went. Off the top of my head, best atmosphere from Oxford fans I can remember was a 3-2 win at Leicester in the 90s, our travelling support was fantastic that day, and I'm sure we helped carry the team to 3 Points when Leicester made it 2-2 with about 5mins left.

Another that comes to mind was an Away day, albeit it was close to being a home atmosphere!, .... our first league win over Scum, winning 3-1 away in the 70s, different times that was.... Town End was 'taken' and occupied entirely by Oxford's finest ,(as it ALWAYS was during those good old days) , plus sizable enclaves of Oxford fans dotted about all around the skip, evident when each of the 3 goals, from Dave Roberts, Nigel Cassidy and Hughie Curran, went in. THAT was an amazing atmosphere. .... though Scum away back then was always a proper awayday, before, during and after the match.

it wasnt until Beano's brace and di Canios sending off, in 2011 that I experienced a similar feel good atmosphere at the Skip, eclipsed by the last visit there coming from behind to win 2-1 and Maguires super shithousery after the final whistle

Home wins under Wilder and MApp over Scum were rather special (it has to be said, RARE ,when the subject is atmosphere) , electrically charged atmosphere at the Breeze Block , helped no end by the Ultras excellent pre match displays in the East stand as the teams came out

Last edited:
Another that comes to mind was an Away day, albeit it was close to being a home atmosphere!, .... our first league win over Scum, winning 3-1 away in the 70s, different times that was.... Town End was 'taken' and occupied entirely by Oxford's finest ,(as it ALWAYS was during those good old days) , plus sizable enclaves of Oxford fans dotted about all around the skip, evident when each of the 3 goals, from Dave Roberts, Nigel Cassidy and Hughie Curran, went in. THAT was an amazing atmosphere. .... though Scum away back then was always a proper awayday, before, during and after the match.

it wasnt until Beano's brace and Di Canio's sending off, in 2011 that I experienced a similar feel good atmosphere at the Skip, eclipsed by the last visit there coming from behind to win 2-1 and Maguires super shithousery after the final whistle

Home wins under Wilder and MApp over Scum were rather special (it has to be said, RARE ,when the subject is atmosphere) , electrically charged atmosphere at the Breeze Block , helped no end by the Ultras excellent pre match displays in the East stand as the teams came out

out of interest OM from pre 2011 away game at the skip.... been a massive reversal in respective fortunes since then too :cool::p:D
......https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/9204572.United_have_won_at_Swindon__but_only_once/

Last edited:
Fenerbache vs Galatasary, even with a ban on away fans..........Dirk Kuyt scored for Fenerbache in the 81st minute.
You had to arrive at least three hours before kick off, the ground was full with almost 2 hours to go & the place was literally shaking.

There is a long & involved tale as to how I got in but that`s another story................... ;):)

Oh, they do some fair size banners as well....
this-is-kadıköy_745633.jpg

Fenerbache vs Galatasary, even with a ban on away fans..........Dirk Kuyt scored for Fenerbache in the 81st minute.
You had to arrive at least three hours before kick off, the ground was full with almost 2 hours to go & the place was literally shaking.

There is a long & involved tale as to how I got in but that`s another story................... ;):)

Oh, they do some fair size banners as well....
View attachment 908

Our Ultras really need to up their game. ;)

Back
Top Bottom