General The Athletic

MarkG

So this website has signed up many top uk sports journalists. Sounds good. Don’t have to go behind paywalls or buy newspapers.

Has anyone else signed up for this ? Normal price £60 a year. I clicked interested and was offered 1/3 off and ignored it. Today got £20 for a year. So I signed up.

And the first thing you have to do is pick a favourite football team. Except the teams stop about half way down the championship.

But for just over a £1 per month I hope to read some good articles on premier league and international.

The only thing I would say is if this site doesn't understand that football does go on under the Championship then I wont sign up for it.
Hope you enjoy and it will be interesting to see what you think.

There are free trials and so on.

I think it’s going for armchair fans of every top level sport.

Anyone who is a US sports fan, they have some wonderful journalists there too. I've not signed up but I hear it's really worth it if the good journalists are writing on what you want to follow.

Until they delve a bit lower down the pyramid its not for me

They’ve got some fantastic writers such as Michael Cox, Amy Lawrence and the guys from NTT20. If they had more dedicated L1 or OUFC content I’d join, but there’s not enough for me currently to subscribe.

So this website has signed up many top uk sports journalists. Sounds good. Don’t have to go behind paywalls or buy newspapers.

Has anyone else signed up for this ? Normal price £60 a year. I clicked interested and was offered 1/3 off and ignored it. Today got £20 for a year. So I signed up.

And the first thing you have to do is pick a favourite football team. Except the teams stop about half way down the championship.

But for just over a £1 per month I hope to read some good articles on premier league and international.
Surely if you are paying for a sub it is behind a paywall?

Surely if you are paying for a sub it is behind a paywall?
What I meant is that many other newspaper sites are going behind paywalls, like The Times, or you get 2 articles per week. So as The Athletic have taken a lot of top sports writers, i don't need to read the other ones.

An interesting article yesterday about clubs factoring transfer fee instalments so they get the cash up front when the buying club pays over 2 years for instance.

Well, only if you don't want to read non-Athletic writers.

IIRC, for example David Conn remains at the Grauniad and he's always worth a read.

• React
Reactions: MJB
From their email preview
----
And as David Ornstein reveals today in the first of many exclusives for The Athletic, a team of noughties legends recently attempted to buy Wycombe Wanderers with the intention of "catapulting them to stardom."

Dennis Bergkamp, Henrik Larsson, Dirk Kuyt and a handful of other household names were involved in the consortium, which thought it had agreed to meet representatives of the beleaguered club until alarm bells began to sound and Wycombe instead accepted investment from an American businessman.
----
Full article was a good read.

From their email preview
----
And as David Ornstein reveals today in the first of many exclusives for The Athletic, a team of noughties legends recently attempted to buy Wycombe Wanderers with the intention of "catapulting them to stardom."

Dennis Bergkamp, Henrik Larsson, Dirk Kuyt and a handful of other household names were involved in the consortium, which thought it had agreed to meet representatives of the beleaguered club until alarm bells began to sound and Wycombe instead accepted investment from an American businessman.
----

Read this this morning - a decent read but 800 members with an overall say on who takes over the club...plus they require 75% of the vote for i to go through

From their email preview
----

----
Did it state what the alarm bells were in relation to?

Just had a reminder I'd set up to cancel before my renewal due next week for £60.
Went into my account, clicked cancel, and very next screen was an offer to renew for a full year for £18 "today only".
I'll take that, it has some good in depth articles on football, though not normally much down the lower leagues.

There was an interesting read of someone trying to tick off the 92 over the last few weeks which included us.

Yes, the articles on League one or league two teams are pretty rare but when they do have them they tend to be quality, like one on Barrow last week

Just had a reminder I'd set up to cancel before my renewal due next week for £60.
Went into my account, clicked cancel, and very next screen was an offer to renew for a full year for £18 "today only".
I'll take that, it has some good in depth articles on football, though not normally much down the lower leagues.

There was an interesting read of someone trying to tick off the 92 over the last few weeks which included us.

Cheers, just did that myself, thanks

Yes, I signed up to the £1 a month for 6 months deal. Found the articles about general football (about fans, about scouting etc) very good, and a few random stories about lower league clubs were equally good, as was the tribute to Joey.

But generally there were too many articles of little interest to me, on American leagues, Premier league etc so I cancelled after 6 months.

All in all, good value for money.

Had this auto-renew without so much as a warning for £59.99 last week.
Tried cancelling and the website says that even though I had cancelled, I would not get a refund and would continue to be a subscriber for the next 12 months.
Emailed the help desk and was offered a partial refund of £18 for a net £41.99
Emailed again to say I wanted a full refund and cancellation.
Eventually they accepted a full refund.
Now being bombarded with special offers: £1 per month for 12 months instead of £7.99 (£96 pa) or £1.50 per month for 12 months.
Black Friday deal of 50% off.

So I renewed at £1 a month and this time set up a reminder to cancel in 51 weeks time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom