Sport The Ashes - 3rd Test- 26/12/2021 - Melbourne

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s more how much will they win by, I reckon they will win this one with an innings to spare, we are that bad.

So...Roots go at the English bowlers bowling too short. A bit odd? Maybe a gocat Broad and Anderson?
England's preparation, planning and tactics do seem to be shambolic.
A draw will be a good result.

Just to show a bit of stickability with the bat would be good.
However, this will not be a contest of equals. Another loss on the way to an ashes whitewash I’m afraid.

Hoping for a stoic draw at best.

The convicts will win but I retain a tiny glimmer of optimism...

With a huge slice of luck.....some real backbone, grit n determination in the top and middle batting order....and the bowling attack all simultaneously hitting top form (and Aussie wickets) England might just nick an unlikely win

Last edited:
At the moment I'd just be reasonably content to see some sort of improvement and a closer game - that's how little belief I have that would could actually win it.

Reports are suggesting Crawley to open in place of Burns, and Bairstow to come in at 6 instead of Pope.

Reports are suggesting Crawley to open in place of Burns, and Bairstow to come in at 6 instead of Pope.

I was calling for the Crawley for Burns change in the second Test thread. We know now that Burns is not going to make it as a Test opener - he's 31, he's played 31 Tests and isn't getting better.

Less excited about Bairstow coming in......I do think he's a better player than Burns, but his deficiencies against top class pace bowling are well documented. And, at 32, is he really going to be part of our next Ashes-winning team? Because that's what we should be working towards right now.

Not looking forward to this one!

Yeah, me neither. Which is really sad, because Boxing Day of the Ashes at the MCG should be a highlight of the four-year sporting calendar.

Even in the dark days of the 90s and early 00s, we always had a few competent Test batsmen who were capable of firing any given day, and some peak-career bowlers that could be dangerous. We usually won at least one Test, even down under, and we also knew we were up against an all-time great Australian team as opposed to the current capable-but-flawed bunch.

So there was always hope......I don't really feel any hope going into this Test.

Interesting to see that Paul Collingwood is going to step in in place of Silverwood, who is taking a break, for the T20s v W Indies in January..

Interesting to see that Paul Collingwood is going to step in in place of Silverwood, who is taking a break, for the T20s v W Indies in January..
I wouldn't read anything into it, the first T20 in the WI starts less than a week after the end of the final Ashes test. There are no players in the squad from the Ashes tour as the two were too close together.

I wouldn't read anything into it, the first T20 in the WI starts less than a week after the end of the final Ashes test. There are no players in the squad from the Ashes tour as the two were too close together.
Yeah I agree with that. However, a thumping in the ashes and I think Silverwood - and hopefully Giles - will have nowhere to hide. Collingwood will possibly be in a position to stake a claim although I have to admit I know nothing about his credential?

Not sure that you can particularly argue with that.
It might not make a huge difference, but might as well try.
Lawrence will wonder how he can't get in this team though.
It is sport and if every England player performs at their best and Aussi have an off game who knows?

Not sure that you can particularly argue with that.
It might not make a huge difference, but might as well try.
Lawrence will wonder how he can't get in this team though.
It is sport and if every England player performs at their best and Aussi have an off game who knows?

Ah, an optimist. :)

Grey and cool here this morning and likely to persist throughout the day.

All the signs are that we shall win the toss....and make the wrong decision.

Back
Top Bottom