Sport The Ashes - 2nd Test - Adelaide

How many times does it happen.

Root out last over of the day. Now end of days play.

How many times does it happen.

Root out last over of the day. Now end of days play.
Nightmare.
The players have shown a lot more fight in this innings, but as usual the damage was done in the awful first innings performance

Nightmare.
The players have shown a lot more fight in this innings, but as usual the damage was done in the awful first innings performance

Agreed - to collapse from 150-2 to 236 all out on an excellent pitch in good weather against a mediocre attack is unforgivable.

But it's happened so often in the last couple of years, that I'm struggling to remember the last time our batting was consistently this bad in Test cricket. Genuinely can't think of a time we've been this short of Test-calibre batsmen in my cricket-watching lifetime (born '78).

Just five more ducks needed for the most number of ducks in a calendar year for an England team.

And that 1998 team, that currently hold the record, had to face five of the best fast bowlers of all time within a calendar year (they are all top 20 for most Test wickets by a fast bowler) - Walsh & Ambrose in the West Indies, then Allan Donald & Shaun Pollock in a five match series at home, and then Glenn McGrath in Australia (Warney actually missed the first four tests of that Ashes with a shoulder injury)

And that 1998 team, that currently hold the record, had to face five of the best fast bowlers of all time within a calendar year (they are all top 20 for most Test wickets by a fast bowler) - Walsh & Ambrose in the West Indies, then Allan Donald & Shaun Pollock in a five match series at home, and then Glenn McGrath in Australia (Warney actually missed the first four tests of that Ashes with a shoulder injury)
...and was replaced by Stuart MacGill, who was the top wicket taker in the series with 27.

96/5
Ollie Pope goes for just 4 runs.

Stokes and Buttler are the last hope for England.

140/6
Stokes is gone LBW

Buttler and Woakes now. This is going to be all over soon.

Chris Woakes goes for 44

I thought he played beautifully. He stuck in there with Buttler for over 180 balls. Did really well!

He’s a number 7 batsman, and you have to wonder if he can do it, surely some of the top order can.

I think Pope will come under the microscope going to Melbourne.

46 overs to hold out.

Dig a trench and put a tin hat on, wicket preservation not runs. :)

33 overs now. That’s still nearly 200 deliveries to face.

Glorious defeat is still defeat, I’m afraid. The resistance has been impressive - especially from the under fire Buttler - but let’s not pretend that this masks how abject and inferior England have been.

33 overs now. That’s still nearly 200 deliveries to face.

Glorious defeat is still defeat, I’m afraid. The resistance has been impressive - especially from the under fire Buttler - but let’s not pretend that this masks how abject and inferior England have been.

Quite right, both test matches so far We have been very poor, and we don’t look like winning any time soon.

Having said that if we hold out and get a draw here, that will feel like a victory, and one of the greatest escapes!

Another session to bat out. Extremely unlikely we will survive, but it’s nice to see some guts and determination from the lower order.

We are in danger of taking this into the final session. All we will need is JB to bat through, and then have Broad and Anderson keep out 15 overs between them....

Where’s Monty when you need him?! Spirit of Cardiff ‘09 and all that …

Back
Top Bottom