• Australia

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • England

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, Root handed them the game when he won the toss and decided to bat in bowler friendly conditions. I don't think the Aussies would have got more than 250 and then today we would have batted in better conditions. I know we would still find it tough but the gap between the scores would have been less I reckon.
He knows our batting is weak so why expose them first.?

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, Root handed them the game when he won the toss and decided to bat in bowler friendly conditions. I don't think the Aussies would have got more than 250 and then today we would have batted in better conditions. I know we would still find it tough but the gap between the scores would have been less I reckon.
He knows our batting is weak so why expose them first.?
I think it goes back to to Nasser Hussein putting them in first when winning the toss at The Gabba back in.... 2002 was it? And then watched them pile on the runs. We seem to have a big thing about that ever since, and seem reluctant to win the toss and bowl these days.

Harsh to criticise Leach too much. He has played 5 first class games all summer after having a 28 wicket series in Sri Lanka last winter. Asking him to step into conditions not akin to spin bowling, in Australia is tough.

Broad not being selected is a ludicrous decision. Silverwood and Root will fall on their respective swords after this series. For 18 months we have been advised that the Ashes is the end goal down under. Rest and rotation were forming part of the greater plan - a heavy series defeat here will put their positions under increased scrutiny.
Well said..I think there is something seriously wrong with this whole England test setup..I am afraid that it is going the same way as the gready premier League.perhaps they should try exchanging the short format team in place of the current test team/squad..I am sure Owen Morgan could do a fantastic job..

Well said..I think there is something seriously wrong with this whole England test setup..I am afraid that it is going the same way as the gready premier League.perhaps they should try exchanging the short format team in place of the current test team/squad..I am sure Owen Morgan could do a fantastic job..
Also there needs to be some improvement in bowling department..imo broad and Anderson only have a couple of seasons left in them at the top level..

God Leach got battered! Just seen the highlights.

We would be looking at the Aussies leading by 150ish rather than 195 had he not chocked!

Last edited:
Anything bad/comical that could happen, happened. Boundary give aways, no balls, dropped catches! You name it!

Anything bad/comical that could happen, happened. Boundary give aways, no balls, dropped catches! You name it!
Poor preparation including no competitive matches against state sides has been the main factor in this.
Covid has messed that up.

Poor preparation including no competitive matches against state sides has been the main factor in this.
Covid has messed that up.
A factor ... along with the ECB concentrating on white ball formats over proper (test) cricket ( as already stated above on this thread), ... and Frankenstein 'cricket' monsters created purely for TV such as the hundred being contributory too ...plus Silverwood in charge of the team/ squad

Oh dear ...Burns gone for 13 first over after lunch ....gloved it to the slips

68/2

Hameed went for 27
Burns out for 13

Both openers gone, and we are still trailing by 210

Last edited:
107/2 at tea

Malan 35 not out
Root 26 not out

A lot better, and we need to show some grit and determination, and take advantage of these excellent batting conditions.

The idea will be to bat each session, but we are going to have to bat and bat and bat. As long as we don’t collapse in typical England fashion I will be happy.

160/2

Both Malan and Root in the 50’s

Great so far, just don’t give away there wickets cheaply. If they get a good ball done.

203/2

Malan and Root both in the 70’s

Be terrific if they can bat out the day, and then get centuries.

203/2

Malan and Root both in the 70’s

Be terrific if they can bat out the day, and then get centuries.

Yup. All about keeping these two there.

The weather is set fair again for tomorrow too. Even for a day four, it still looks batting friendly and England will need to make a lot of hay whilst it shines.

Well I didn't expect to wake up to that.
Malan and Root have done very well so far but need to keep it going and bat big. Australia are still firm favourites but you never know.
At least the team have shown some backbone and a couple have some form going to Adelaide.
What has happened to all of this rain promised?

Back
Top Bottom