Thank You Guys (Wycombe Game)

A sensible attitude and one that I know Mrs Lounger would approve. The fact is that (take notice @Essexyellows ) after the protestations of those around the three (not one) individuals who stood, they decided that sitting might be better.
As for doing something, I am and have been for some time. I started a campaign through the OUSP (all minuted) to make it possible for away support to have more say in their seating. Sadly, the club did not consider this to be in accordance with safety protocols but, the campaign continues.

Well, take notice, that had you told the whole tale then it would be more understandable. 🤷‍♀️

So the majority told said miscreants to sit down and they did.

Their behaviour was called out and they learned a lesson.

Easy really.

The issue with seating at football grounds is beyond me, anywhere else you go and buy a seat for an event you get to choose, the technology is there the clubs just need the will to use it. I`ve selected seats for events where the system won`t even let you leave an individual seat in a row that might remain unsold and will ask you to select another row.

With all the stadium news this week I've had my eyes set on buying my son his first season ticket for the first season. But what you've described is my absolute nightmare scenario. I don't know what some of the so called fans have been on this season, and especially yesterday, but they have brought real shame on our club.

I truly hope one day they want to come back and have a more positive experience.
This makes me so sad to read - albeit totally understandable based on some of our ‘fan’ behaviour yesterday.

I’m a father of 6 & 3YO daughters and regularly bring one (or both) with me to games and, for what it’s worth, what I would say is that on the most part you will be surprised at what a positive experience it is bringing your little one(s) with you.

There have been a handful of bad experiences - I’ve spoken on here about a group of teenage idiot Ipswich fans getting right into my eldest daughters face and doing the ‘boring boring Oxford’ chant - to which she defiantly didn’t miss a step and shouted ‘exciting Oxford’ back at them. There was drunk idiot Barnsley fans at the JPT final in 2016 who thought it’d be funny to chant ‘baby you’re a c***, baby baby you’re a c***’ (it’s hard to explain but it was never meant in a threatening manner, but more as a ‘funny’ joke which just was totally not funny and wholly inappropriate in the light of day to me as the sober parent of a (then 8-month old) daughter. My mrs was appalled! And I’d be lying if I said there hasn’t been the occasional game where they’ve been stood on a chair to see the game (although in truth I remember doing the same at some away games when I was a young kid going to games in the 90’s)

BUT - with some selective choice of fixtures (ie I’m not ready to bring them to games like Swindon, Wycombe - plus a few other grounds away) I’ve had largely great experiences. The vast majority of our fans are, unsurprisingly, wonderful people who will always spare a smile or a chat with my girls. Opposition stewards are, more often than not, extremely accommodating to young kids. Even away fans are largely a cracking bunch (shout out to the group of young Cambridge lads walking away from the first game of the season who asked my 3YO’s name and proceeded to chant it - it absolutely made her day).

(I’d also add, ipads/tablets are godsends! I have no clue how my old man used to cart me around the grounds as a young kid without one! 🤣🤣)

I know it’s hard to discount some of the really unpleasant things that have been said about a small minority of our fans in the last 24 hours. I thought the way you spoke about the impact the homophobic chanting had on you as a member of the LBGTQIA community was extremely powerful. But as a parent - and a dad who has actively loved getting to share this great club of ours with the ‘next generation’ it makes me devastated to read that other parents might be put off sharing those same experiences - even if I totally understand why you would feel that way. I hope in time you feel ready to give it another shot (and I hope you find the fans you’re surrounded with a more creditable bunch of fans, whomever they support)

With all the stadium news this week I've had my eyes set on buying my son his first season ticket for the first season. But what you've described is my absolute nightmare scenario. I don't know what some of the so called fans have been on this season, and especially yesterday, but they have brought real shame on our club.

I truly hope one day they want to come back and have a more positive experience.
I knoyit was an away game but I must say I got my boys there first ST this season we sit in the east stand and have experienced no problems of real.concern so I'd still get you little one a ST when ready don't let a few idiots put you off we ent all bad in the east stand 😄

Thanks for the reassurances everyone. Definitely intending to get the season ticket for the lad, but we will maybe be a bit selective over what games we go to, and won't be taking in any away games until he's a bit older I think. Its going to be my first season ticket too when we move so the excitement will take a lot to be dampened!

Thanks for the reassurances everyone. Definitely intending to get the season ticket for the lad, but we will maybe be a bit selective over what games we go to, and won't be taking in any away games until he's a bit older I think. Its going to be my first season ticket too when we move so the excitement will take a lot to be dampened!

You won't get any problems at any hone games in the North or South stand.

I was considering taking my boy he's 7 to Charlton away in February hopefully there won't be the problems that occurred yesterday I haven't been there since we beat them on penalties in the Worthington cup ( I think it was called)

There should always be a place for families to go away from the language etc. At home it's easy, the family section or the South Stand are pretty family friendly. It's not so easy at away games of course as we're all lumped in the same stand and unfortunately they decided not to give us the section down the side this year.

Ideally, there should be a section for away families at every ground, perhaps one for the supporters liaison to request when we travel?

Of course, people should just behave but I've been a football fan long enough to know that won't happen so parental judgement is required when I decide on what away games to take the kids to.

But what about the East Stand?🤣🤣 Just joking.

Well it depends how old the kids are. The language can be a bit fruity in there and people like to stand all game which isn't good for kids.

Well it depends how old the kids are. The language can be a bit fruity in there and people like to stand all game which isn't good for kids.

Some considerate people, that like to stand, purchased their ST`s in the back two rows amongst their friends who all prefer to stand.
Once the stewards realise you won`t act like a div they tend to turn a blind eye.
Anyone standing in the middle or in front of folk who want to remain seated is being a div.

Some considerate people, that like to stand, purchased their ST`s in the back two rows amongst their friends who all prefer to stand.
Once the stewards realise you won`t act like a div they tend to turn a blind eye.
Anyone standing in the middle or in front of folk who want to remain seated is being a div.

Yeh to be honest I haven't had this problem and it normally only happens when we play the scum or the man City game. I would hope the new stadium has a safe standing area and the rest of the stadium being seated and enforced.

There should always be a place for families to go away from the language etc. At home it's easy, the family section or the South Stand are pretty family friendly. It's not so easy at away games of course as we're all lumped in the same stand and unfortunately they decided not to give us the section down the side this year.

Ideally, there should be a section for away families at every ground, perhaps one for the supporters liaison to request when we travel?

Of course, people should just behave but I've been a football fan long enough to know that won't happen so parental judgement is required when I decide on what away games to take the kids to.
Lets not get into an argument please, its nothing to do with parental judgement, so dont try and lecture me on what games I should take them to. we chose to take my grandsons to a football match. we attempted to sit as far as possible to the very side of the stand, possibly 6 rows from the end of the stand, what I didn't factor in was middle aged men some of them with their wives hurling constant foul language at players and ref when in earshot of young children. Lets make it quite clear im no shrinking violet, I started off at the Manor in the London Road many years ago so your not trying to lecture someone with cloth ears

Lets not get into an argument please, its nothing to do with parental judgement, so dont try and lecture me on what games I should take them to. we chose to take my grandsons to a football match. we attempted to sit as far as possible to the very side of the stand, possibly 6 rows from the end of the stand, what I didn't factor in was middle aged men some of them with their wives hurling constant foul language at players and ref when in earshot of young children. Lets make it quite clear im no shrinking violet, I started off at the Manor in the London Road many years ago so your not trying to lecture someone with cloth ears
I wasn't.

The correct thing to do in that scenario is to go through the proper channels when it is safe to do so - which I'm sure ML and others have. The club will also be well aware of what went on due to reports on social media and on here and will conduct an investigation I'm sure.
In stadia in Australia, there is the option to text antisocial behaviour and its location discreetly and anonymously to well-publicised central number advertised in various locations all around the ground.

Has this not made it to the UK yet? I’ve not had to use it yet, but I would anticipate it is quite the problem-solving idea.

As a lifelong supporter of over 60 years (attending matches) I used to take my sons to the Manor of which one of them has a current season ticket at the Kassam, this is how supporters get attached to a club. On Saturday he decided to take his two 10 and 8 year old sons who have season tickets to the match. We were in the corner half way up, normally on away days if you want to sit that's where you would go, both boys had to stand on the seats, now that's not what I've come on here for. The constant foul and abusive language that was being shouted around us by middle aged men during the match was way out of order. The group that gather behind the goal you're never going to stop, and I wouldn't want it to, its fantastic support apart from the occasional obscene chant, but for middle aged men effing and blinding in front, behind, and to the side of us isn't on. So thank you guys yesterday OUFC lost 2 young supporters.

I‘m sort of mixed on this. Firstly, I‘m sorry to hear it wasn’t the best experience for the two lads and I hope they come back and keep your family association with the club going. My dad took me when I was 7, in 1971, and I’ve took my lad since he was 4, he’s now 16. My dad used to take a little fold down wooden stool for me to stand on and fellow fans would always make sure I could get down the front. Society was kinder, more caring, 50 years ago and I’m not so sure that would happen quite as easily now. Not a football thing, not an Oxford United thing, just a social thing.

The continual standing Is a real problem if you have young kids and I’ve had a few arguments with fans, over the years, blocking my lads view. I suppose it’s gone full circle for me as my lad (at 6’ 1”) likes to stand now and join in with his mates ! I’m proud of him though that he always ask anyone behind him if they can see, just basic manners and respect.

On to the language. This is where I perhaps disagree. Yes, it’s out of order but grown men swear, we all do, in emotive situations - whether celebratory or in disdain at something. Me and my mates can f and blind on the tranquility of a golf course when we miss putts so in the raucousness of a packed away end with your team chasing the game I have to forgive fans for use of the f word, the c word I think can be avoided though and that isn’t really for anyone ears at a football match. You know what to expect at a football match, it can’t really be a surprise to any of us who have been going as long as me and you have.

Anyway, I really hope the lads have a better experience next time and can enjoy supporting the club for years to come.

Standards have fallen and continue to get lower in society in general, walk in any street and you'll hear the f + c word quite often from "Kids" some as young as 5 and these are tomorrows adults whose children will be likely brought up hearing such words on a regular basis and so it continues for Generations.

it's reached a point where Teachers cannot even tick off a child without a parent being on the phone or at the School Gates, School and in the home is where you were taught correct behaviour but that has been virtual taken away.

When I was at school if i misbehaved I was immediately dropped from the Football team so you soon learnt

Standards have fallen and continue to get lower in society in general, walk in any street and you'll hear the f + c word quite often from "Kids" some as young as 5 and these are tomorrows adults whose children will be likely brought up hearing such words on a regular basis and so it continues for Generations.

it's reached a point where Teachers cannot even tick off a child without a parent being on the phone or at the School Gates, School and in the home is where you were taught correct behaviour but that has been virtual taken away.

When I was at school if i misbehaved I was immediately dropped from the Football team so you soon learnt

Very true.

I'm often appalled at the lack of the basics - politeness, manners, respect. None of these cost anything and EVERYONE is capable of a single word greeting or apology. Instilling the basics into your child. I remember clipping someones neatly manicured front lawn (it was like a snooker table !) on my bike, as a dare with my mates, and the homeowner saw it, told my dad and that was it - I wasn't allowed out after school for a week and for an entire weekend. Only 7 days but as a 8 or 9 year old that felt like a lifetime. I was also told to apologise the next time I saw the chap out, not easy for a blushing kid !

It wasn't the biggest crime ever committed but it taught me a stern lesson about respect as much as anything.

My take from Saturday where I stood in the middle behind the goal:

I entered the stand about 2.10pm and the youth section had already congregated behind the goal so my son (17) and I placed ourselves there then the stewards (who had OUFC jackets on although not sure they were OUFC ones) began to try and enforce sitting in your allocated seat (horse had bolted on this one)
Game began and the atmosphere was good the youth section churning out some good songs not all full of expletives, the Oxford boys on a bender song with Ainsworth, Akinfenwa and Stockdale inserted became a bit OTT. Once the Stockdale song was sung and he spoke to the ref the atmosphere changed and our youth element let themselves and more importantly the club down, I could continually hear seats being broken and when the idiot ran on the pitch, some were thrown and hit people including my son. No-one likes the Kassam but can you imagine the uproar if visiting supporters started smashing seats.

The worst part was the walk up the industrial estate after the game, I personally witnessed 2 proper fights with children around me having to move out of the way and looking genuinely scared. It took me back to the bad old days and is something I do not want associated with my club, especially when we are looking at a new stadium.

Back
Top Bottom