Thank You Guys (Wycombe Game)

joshua

As a lifelong supporter of over 60 years (attending matches) I used to take my sons to the Manor of which one of them has a current season ticket at the Kassam, this is how supporters get attached to a club. On Saturday he decided to take his two 10 and 8 year old sons who have season tickets to the match. We were in the corner half way up, normally on away days if you want to sit that's where you would go, both boys had to stand on the seats, now that's not what I've come on here for. The constant foul and abusive language that was being shouted around us by middle aged men during the match was way out of order. The group that gather behind the goal you're never going to stop, and I wouldn't want it to, its fantastic support apart from the occasional obscene chant, but for middle aged men effing and blinding in front, behind, and to the side of us isn't on. So thank you guys yesterday OUFC lost 2 young supporters.

It won’t be long before someone comes along to tell you to ‘man up’.

Sorry that the kids had to endure that.

Meanwhile, somewhere in Kidlington, the evidence is being gathered.

Previously we were given room in the family stand for exactly this reason to get away from these issues but TVP told Wycombe they didn't want us taking anymore then what's behind the goal. That's why I didn't bother going with my son as I know fans don't want to call it a derby but both sets of fans have been acting like thugs for the last couple of encounters just like the swindon games.

Tell your son to take them again to MK away next season much more friendly.

As a lifelong supporter of over 60 years (attending matches) I used to take my sons to the Manor of which one of them has a current season ticket at the Kassam, this is how supporters get attached to a club. On Saturday he decided to take his two 10 and 8 year old sons who have season tickets to the match. We were in the corner half way up, normally on away days if you want to sit that's where you would go, both boys had to stand on the seats, now that's not what I've come on here for. The constant foul and abusive language that was being shouted around us by middle aged men during the match was way out of order. The group that gather behind the goal you're never going to stop, and I wouldn't want it to, its fantastic support apart from the occasional obscene chant, but for middle aged men effing and blinding in front, behind, and to the side of us isn't on. So thank you guys yesterday OUFC lost 2 young supporters.
There was a middle aged man just in front of us that was going off on one whilst his 10 or so year old son was imploring with him to sit down and shut up he continued to just ignore his child for a good few minutes, great parenthood not

it’s not about me

There was a middle aged man just in front of us that was going off on one whilst his 10 or so year old son was imploring with him to sit down and shut up he continued to just ignore his child for a good few minutes, great parenthood not
We must have been sitting just behind you. I know my language gets a bit over the top when things are not going right but, yes, this chap was intent on getting physically involved all the while his son was pleading with him to sit down. Very, very sad to see this going on.
We also had to experience the selfishness of some who were intent on standing while all around folk were sitting. The abuse hurled in our direction for simply pointing this out was unacceptable. Underscoring, again, that the allocated seat policy is not fair or workable when there is no choice of seating.
The stewards I spoke to before the game were of the same opinion and were all for allowing people to move seats. They also knew, all too well, that those who prefer to stand behind the goal would gravitate to that area regardless of seat allocation.

With all the stadium news this week I've had my eyes set on buying my son his first season ticket for the first season. But what you've described is my absolute nightmare scenario. I don't know what some of the so called fans have been on this season, and especially yesterday, but they have brought real shame on our club.

I truly hope one day they want to come back and have a more positive experience.

We must have been sitting just behind you. I know my language gets a bit over the top when things are not going right but, yes, this chap was intent on getting physically involved all the while his son was pleading with him to sit down. Very, very sad to see this going on.
We also had to experience the selfishness of some who were intent on standing while all around folk were sitting. The abuse hurled in our direction for simply pointing this out was unacceptable. Underscoring, again, that the allocated seat policy is not fair or workable when there is no choice of seating.
The stewards I spoke to before the game were of the same opinion and were all for allowing people to move seats. They also knew, all too well, that those who prefer to stand behind the goal would gravitate to that area regardless of seat allocation.

What did YOU do then?
Did you ring it in?
Did you report it to said stewards?

If we don`t call out the problems and get them nipped in the bud then they will not go away.

With all the stadium news this week I've had my eyes set on buying my son his first season ticket for the first season. But what you've described is my absolute nightmare scenario. I don't know what some of the so called fans have been on this season, and especially yesterday, but they have brought real shame on our club.

I truly hope one day they want to come back and have a more positive experience.

Problem with away games your in one stand with the yobs, adults that all swear and are normally under the influence. Home games you can go in the south or north stand and it's much more civilised and calm. I wouldn't take my 9 year old to either swindon, Wycombe or Cheltenham as the yobs come out because its a local derby. Doesnt put me off taking him to any other games though.

What did YOU do then?
Did you ring it in?
Did you report it to said stewards?

If we don`t call out the problems and get them nipped in the bud then they will not go away.
I understand the point you're trying to make but it's not up to @Manorlounger to put himself in potential harm's way because someone is being a dickhead. He reports it to the stewards and the yob sees it you don't know how they'll react especially given the abysmal behaviour yesterday with so called fans practically searching for any excuse to fight. The safer thing to do is to report it after the game and make the club aware so they can investigate.

Why are you chastising fans for not taking that risk rather than the yobs who make people feel unsafe at a game of football ffs.

I understand the point you're trying to make but it's not up to @Manorlounger to put himself in potential harm's way because someone is being a dickhead. He reports it to the stewards and the yob sees it you don't know how they'll react especially given the abysmal behaviour yesterday with so called fans practically searching for any excuse to fight. The safer thing to do is to report it after the game and make the club aware so they can investigate.

Why are you chastising fans for not taking that risk rather than the yobs who make people feel unsafe at a game of football ffs.

Exactly. At the time these thugs would of been probably intoxicated and maybe even under the influence of drugs so there would be no reasoning with them. They may feel a bit silly this morning but a few posts on Facebook seem to suggest that there is a proportion of our fanbase that don't see a problem with the term gay boy and think it's an over reaction. Don't think there is any teaching these individuals that we aren't in the 80s anymore and discrimination is not tolerated anywhere anymore. I think the club should go down the route of an away shirt for next season that represents the LGTBQ+ community and shows a real intent we won't tolerate abuse in our stadium or away!

Hold hard. If good people do nothing then the yobs win.

We, the decent majority, need to take a stand if these issues are to be fixed.

For all we know said yobs might well post on here? If they have read that people are unhappy they might have learnt something.

If we all do nothing then they`ll be back next week.... behaving in the same way.

It is not acceptable behaviour, but evidence gathered in Kidlington?
Home games will ( hopefully) be played at Kidlington.
At our home games therefore a choice of places to go to including a large family stand. In the Sourh Stand it is normally very well behaved.
I assume that when taking decisions on planning, the majority of home game s and what happens at those will generally he taken.

As an aside ( and I am.not remotely condoning the behaviour these children had to deal with) Wycombe away is the last place I would advise anybody to take with 2 young children as their first game. I go to a fair few away games and most are really good with hardly any of the issues the OP described ( and you can normally move in this situation)

Hold hard. If good people do nothing then the yobs win.

We, the decent majority, need to take a stand if these issues are to be fixed.

For all we know said yobs might well post on here? If they have read that people are unhappy they might have learnt something.

If we all do nothing then they`ll be back next week.... behaving in the same way.
I didn't say do nothing. But you implied that ML should have done something whilst still having to sit right behind said yob who could have responded violently, behaviour that was displayed in the stadium for simple things like trying to leave early or asking people to sit down and be considerate.

The correct thing to do in that scenario is to go through the proper channels when it is safe to do so - which I'm sure ML and others have. The club will also be well aware of what went on due to reports on social media and on here and will conduct an investigation I'm sure.

If you want to put yourself at risk during the game go ahead. But you cannot EXPECT others to do the same when they may not feel safe to do so. I certainly wouldn't have felt safe yesterday.

It is not acceptable behaviour, but evidence gathered in Kidlington?
Home games will ( hopefully) be played at Kidlington.
At our home games therefore a choice of places to go to including a large family stand. In the Sourh Stand it is normally very well behaved.
I assume that when taking decisions on planning, the majority of home game s and what happens at those will generally he taken.

As an aside ( and I am.not remotely condoning the behaviour these children had to deal with) Wycombe away is the last place I would advise anybody to take with 2 young children as their first game. I go to a fair few away games and most are really good with hardly any of the issues the OP described ( and you can normally move in this situation)
My point regarding Kidlington is that there will be residents there who are opposed to the club’s plans. They will seize upon this unwelcome incident and milk it for all its worth.

I didn't say do nothing. But you implied that ML should have done something whilst still having to sit right behind said yob who could have responded violently, behaviour that was displayed in the stadium for simple things like trying to leave early or asking people to sit down and be considerate.

The correct thing to do in that scenario is to go through the proper channels when it is safe to do so - which I'm sure ML and others have. The club will also be well aware of what went on due to reports on social media and on here and will conduct an investigation I'm sure.

If you want to put yourself at risk during the game go ahead. But you cannot EXPECT others to do the same when they may not feel safe to do so. I certainly wouldn't have felt safe yesterday.
A sensible attitude and one that I know Mrs Lounger would approve. The fact is that (take notice @Essexyellows ) after the protestations of those around the three (not one) individuals who stood, they decided that sitting might be better.
As for doing something, I am and have been for some time. I started a campaign through the OUSP (all minuted) to make it possible for away support to have more say in their seating. Sadly, the club did not consider this to be in accordance with safety protocols but, the campaign continues.

Back
Top Bottom