Test series v India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foley

It should be a cracking series (although I reckon it should have started a couple of weeks ago).
The Rachid selection shows the paucity of English soon bowlers.
I reckon so do a will win die to their clear superiority of spinners unless it seams around a bit.

I reckon so do a will win die to their clear superiority of spinners unless it seams around a bit.

Huh?

Yes - very much looking forward to it. I normally go to at least one day of two tests if possible. Might take a look at the Rose Bowl (or whatever it’s called now). I enjoyed it last time they were here.

The Vaughan whinging over Rashid is incredibly embarrassing. I thought Yorkies always backed Yorkies. But it seems they don't. Should be a fascinating series

Could do with some good old-fashioned English cloud cover over the next few days, and a bit of sideways movement.

It seems the pitch for tomorrow has been heavily watered in the recent weather, so should be England friendly. The Lords pitch though....

The Vaughan whinging over Rashid is incredibly embarrassing. I thought Yorkies always backed Yorkies. But it seems they don't. Should be a fascinating series
The whinging from Vaughan needs to stop. Speaking as a supporter of Yorkshire I am pleased for him individually that he has been selected but there is a bigger picture with this story. Firstly he hasn’t bowled competivly with the red ball since last September. Secondly he said he didn’t want to play in the 4day roses match days earlier saying he didn’t want to play 4 day cricket this year.
Thirdly he is signed to play white ball cricket only this year and having missed half of the 50 over tournament for Yorkshire and first 4 t20 games they thought they had him for the rest of the season and then find out differently after it is to late to get a replacement. Fourthly he is told it is a 1 off situation and if he is to play next year he will need to play 4 day cricket. He at present has a 1 day contract for next year to sign meaning all that might now need changing and therefore Yorkshire’s plans/ budgets for next year.
If you look beyond headlines you will find Yorkshire fans want the players with England and England to do well but are also getting pissed off with some of the treatment the county appear to get off the Ecb.
Have to say I am really looking forward to going to Headingley next Thursday to hopefully watch s Yorkshire win over Lancashire. Good luck England tomorrow.

Last edited:
The whinging from Vaughan needs to stop. Speaking as a supporter of Yorkshire I am pleased for him individually that he has been selected but there is a bigger picture with this story. Firstly he hasn’t bowled competivly with the red ball since last September. Secondly he said he didn’t want to play in the 4day roses match days earlier saying he didn’t want to play 4 day cricket this year.
Thirdly he is signed to play white ball cricket only this year and having missed half of the 50 over tournament for Yorkshire and first 4 t20 games they thought they had him for the rest of the season and then find out differently after it is to late to get a replacement. Fourthly he is told it is a 1 off situation and if he is to play next year he will need to play 4 day cricket. He at present has a 1 day contract for next year to sign meaning all that might now need changing and therefore Yorkshire’s plans/ budgets for next year.
If you look beyond headlines you will find Yorkshire fans want the players with England and England to do well but are also getting pissed off with some of the treatment the county appear to get off the Ecb.
Have to say I am really looking forward to going to Headingley next Thursday to hopefully watch s Yorkshire win over Lancashire. Good luck England tomorrow.
For me, it doesn't matter if Rashid has played county cricket or not. Buttler came straight from the IPL and fitted in ok. I have found some of the Yorkshire politics a bit bizarre - even Plunkett has been on the end of some odd things this season.

I hope the Rashid pick works today.

For me, it doesn't matter if Rashid has played county cricket or not. Buttler came straight from the IPL and fitted in ok. I have found some of the Yorkshire politics a bit bizarre - even Plunkett has been on the end of some odd things this season.

It's not the case of coming from one form to another, it's more to do with Rashid saying he was done with red ball, not playing any games, then being called up ahead of players who have worked hard in the county championship. A bit of a slap in the face for them isn't it. Could you imagine the uproar if a footballer said he didn't want to play friendlies or qualifiers, then was picked for a World Cup?

It's not as if Rachid's test record is that brilliant - and (correct me if I am wrong) he has never played in a home test at all.

It's a bit of a comment on the state of English cricket if the best long-form spinner we've got is one who doesn't play the long-form game! I can't help thinking that he has been picked because of one brilliant ball he bowled a week ago, but that's perhaps a bit cynical...

Last edited:

Plunkett had a bit of a strop after being dropped after going for 77 in 9 overs in a 50 over game. That was sorted but the main reason he is leaving is because Yorkshire think they can get better value elsewhere as he has only played 5 games all season due to England call ups and injury. Next season they would lose him for at least 2 months due to World Cup etc. They also have a very good crop of youngsters coming through.

83 for 1 at lunch.
A steady start for England.
I really hope thatRoot goes on and gets a hundred this time ...

It's not the case of coming from one form to another, it's more to do with Rashid saying he was done with red ball, not playing any games, then being called up ahead of players who have worked hard in the county championship. A bit of a slap in the face for them isn't it. Could you imagine the uproar if a footballer said he didn't want to play friendlies or qualifiers, then was picked for a World Cup?
Didn't that happen with Carragher and Paul Scholes?

Didn't Yorkshire not pick him last summer? I don't think he made the decision in isolation - it was an odd one, but I suppose if no English spinner is pushing themselves and on the recent performances, I can see why he's been picked. Buttler pretty much gave up red ball cricket and was taken in without much fuss.

Plunkett had a bit of a strop after being dropped after going for 77 in 9 overs in a 50 over game. That was sorted but the main reason he is leaving is because Yorkshire think they can get better value elsewhere as he has only played 5 games all season due to England call ups and injury. Next season they would lose him for at least 2 months due to World Cup etc. They also have a very good crop of youngsters coming through.
My point is all is not well at Yorkshire. I can see why Plunkett was miffed and is off to Surrey. Why even bother having international cricketers if you won't play them?

83 for 1 at lunch.
A steady start for England.
I really hope thatRoot goes on and gets a hundred this time ...
I think India saying they'd bowl if they won the toss would have been an interesting one. The pitch looks a bat first one so far.

Root does look in control out there and Jennings is less statuesque than the last time. Let's see in session 2

Jennings deeply unlucky there. What a horrible way to get out. No blame in Cook’s departure either.

Yes, but then he was lucky when dropped earlier. Swing and roundabouts ...

Didn't that happen with Carragher and Paul Scholes?

Didn't Yorkshire not pick him last summer? I don't think he made the decision in isolation - it was an odd one, but I suppose if no English spinner is pushing themselves and on the recent performances, I can see why he's been picked. Buttler pretty much gave up red ball cricket and was taken in without much fuss.

My point is all is not well at Yorkshire. I can see why Plunkett was miffed and is off to Surrey. Why even bother having international cricketers if you won't play them?
Yorkshire picked Rashid most games last summer and please explain what is wrong at the county. Plunkett is off because he wasn’t offered a contact because he is no longer deemed good value within the budget and because 4/5 very good younger players who will be available all year round at present.
England doing reasonably well at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom