Temporary stand

Even without a temporary stand, it will help to have a number of 10k plus games to show the appropriate authorities that there is a real and immediate need for a new stadium. I'm sure that is as much behind the push for increased numbers through the gate as the need for extra income.

If or when we get up to next level,do we not have to have have 4 sides ?

Not sure, but would rather have 3 sides full instead of the empty stands we see at so many grounds .
You must either have a great disposition or you have just subscribed to following the mighty yellows because I have frankly had enough of fending off lots of w*nkers over our ground. As an example in Luxembourg FFs a couple of years ago a Luxembourger in a bar asked if me what British club did I support... answer oufc. His reply was... oh the team with a weird ground! I then flicked beer in his face.

We could always park a fleet of positivity double decker buses along the fence line.
After Sunderland’s wayward shooting last night, they would be safe behind the goal for at least 45 minutes.?

You must either have a great disposition or you have just subscribed to following the mighty yellows because I have frankly had enough of fending off lots of w*nkers over our ground. As an example in Luxembourg FFs a couple of years ago a Luxembourger in a bar asked if me what British club did I support... answer oufc. His reply was... oh the team with a weird ground! I then flicked beer in his face.
So we will now be known the world over as the team that plays great football and has a three stand stadium .
What’s the problem??

We need tiger to get on the phone to uncle Firoz and be nice to see if we can have another stand after today’s draw ? maybe offer him a ticket at reduced price

If the club can arrange a temporary stand with Firoz let them. Let's not turn this into a negative situation again gets us nowhere. Keep the positivity going.

Even without a temporary stand, it will help to have a number of 10k plus games to show the appropriate authorities that there is a real and immediate need for a new stadium. I'm sure that is as much behind the push for increased numbers through the gate as the need for extra income.

or of course they might be sensible and see the reality that bar the odd game there are a great number of empty seats

or of course they might be sensible and see the reality that bar the odd game there are a great number of empty seats
At the moment!

But with large crowds expected at the Wycombe, Lincoln, Ipswich, Sunderland, MK Don's, Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers and Bolton, plus 40,000 extra fans from the league cup run, and the gradually increasing numbers for the league in general, we are able to show real interest throughout Oxfordshire.

Keep this up and we might even see you at a game!!

Yep - you can't justify building a mahoosive stadium on the premise that a club *might* get a home cup draw or two that *might* sell out *if* the draw was favourable. That way lies madness. What I have always advocated is more the model where you build a ground that can be fairly easily and relatively cheaply extended once you need the capacity on a very regular basis. Rushden's stands that could be changed into double deckers for example - not that they ended up needing them, sadly. Of course, you might say that having a stadium where you had room to build a fourth stand and the ability to fill in the corners might fulfil that brief.

The 8 league games I've mentioned, plus West Ham, Sunderland and Man City should all be around 10k+. That demonstrates that there is interest for football in Oxfordshire which can only help when looking at a new build.

Of course we could just look to mirror the Rushden model!! ?

'Thanks' for the sarky reply. I wasn't actually advocating we followed Rushden's business model in any way was I? Just pointing out that their stadium could have easily had the capacity increased! Or isn't that on the briefing sheet you've been given by your handlers?

West Ham, Sunderland and Man City are cup games - you cannot build a stadium on the basis that we will draw teams like that in cups every year or get far enough in those competitions to do so. It could have easily been teams with a much smaller travelling support - or away matches rather than home!

I will be interested to see how your prediction of 10k + crowds for those league matches you've listed pans out.

Last time we played MK Dons - 7,600
Last time we played Portsmouth - 8,200

But even so, let's assume you are right, and the stadium is easily, predictably full for eight league matches. How much bigger would you build a stadium to cater for those games? 3,000 bigger? 10,000 bigger?

I reminder talking with Kelvin Thomas about a temporary stand, I can't remember for what game (I suspect Swindon) and it wasn't feasible financially, even if all seats were sold. I don't know if a safe standing stand would make it more viable on the basis that the capacity may be higher.

With a temp stand it would also potentially allow us to sell more tickets to away fans thus more revenue. Whether we want more away fans is another question!

'Thanks' for the sarky reply. I wasn't actually advocating we followed Rushden's business model in any way was I? Just pointing out that their stadium could have easily had the capacity increased! Or isn't that on the briefing sheet you've been given by your handlers?

West Ham, Sunderland and Man City are cup games - you cannot build a stadium on the basis that we will draw teams like that in cups every year or get far enough in those competitions to do so. It could have easily been teams with a much smaller travelling support - or away matches rather than home!

I will be interested to see how your prediction of 10k + crowds for those league matches you've listed pans out.

Last time we played MK Dons - 7,600
Last time we played Portsmouth - 8,200

But even so, let's assume you are right, and the stadium is easily, predictably full for eight league matches. How much bigger would you build a stadium to cater for those games? 3,000 bigger? 10,000 bigger?
This is L1 though and I guess that if the owners are ambitious they would want to be in the Championship which would need a bigger ground (the original plan was for a 15k stadium with 4 sides then 18k to 20k if the corners were filled in?

The only way this works is that you rent a 1500/2000 terrace like Barnet did and give it to away fans. But then you have the problem of toilets and food & drink. Exeter are now renting the same terrace Barnet were before their new stand. It’s their new away end.

Back
Top Bottom