• ****Join the YF Fantasy EFL League: HERE. ****

Temporary Stand (Not Happening)

Let's be clear about this, a temporary stand with all the necessary security, safety and facilities is, logistically not an insurmountable problem. Making it financially viable is a problem. The figure I have heard mentioned, indirectly from a club source (and no, I am not in a position to divulge names) is £50,000 per game just in rent alone.
With that in mind and the need to remain cordial with the dear Mr K, is it any wonder that we have not heard anything positive? (Or, for that matter, anyone condemning that same benevolent chap as a devious, money grabbing, obnoxious bastard without a charitable bone in his body)
What I don't understand regarding Kassam and his supposed want of making money, is why it's said that he wants to charge that much rent, thereby making it totally unfeasible.

So either:
1. He is stupid to ask so much as he won't get anything.
2. He's not bothered about money and just wants to P**s us off.
3. He's not asking that much and there are other factors stopping the temporary stand.

What I don't understand regarding Kassam and his supposed want of making money, is why it's said that he wants to charge that much rent, thereby making it totally unfeasible.

So either:
3. He's not asking that much and there are other factors stopping the temporary stand.

So either:

He’s clearly a successful businessman, however one of his high profile failures was to own and run a successful football club.

I wonder if he has always struggled with that fact.

Perhaps he cannot allow or accept that someone else can succeed or make money where he failed, and these are his motives.

Let's be clear about this, a temporary stand with all the necessary security, safety and facilities is, logistically not an insurmountable problem. Making it financially viable is a problem. The figure I have heard mentioned, indirectly from a club source (and no, I am not in a position to divulge names) is £50,000 per game just in rent alone.
With that in mind and the need to remain cordial with the dear Mr K, is it any wonder that we have not heard anything positive? (Or, for that matter, anyone condemning that same benevolent chap as a devious, money grabbing, obnoxious bastard without a charitable bone in his body)
You highlight an interesting point here @Manorlounger and this is aimed at the club, not you for making the point.

If, as you say, the club would indeed rather not say anything, to its thousands of fans, for fear of upsetting Kassam, then, that in itself is a bloody disgrace. That they don't mind keeping us in the dark, and prioritise the feelings of that man, rather than informing their fans/customers, tells me they are not fit to manage this club.

I cannot find any excuse for a simple it's happening/it's not happening statement, although a good management team would have kept us in the loop all along. They don't have to condemn Kassam as the devil incarnate (although he is) just grow a pair and tell us what's happening.

If you don't stand up to bullies, guess what, they'll keep bullying you.

You highlight an interesting point here @Manorlounger and this is aimed at the club, not you for making the point.

If, as you say, the club would indeed rather not say anything, to its thousands of fans, for fear of upsetting Kassam, then, that in itself is a bloody disgrace. That they don't mind keeping us in the dark, and prioritise the feelings of that man, rather than informing their fans/customers, tells me they are not fit to manage this club.

I cannot find any excuse for a simple it's happening/it's not happening statement, although a good management team would have kept us in the loop all along. They don't have to condemn Kassam as the devil incarnate (although he is) just grow a pair and tell us what's happening.

Yes I tend to agree
It seems that there is a bit of a vacuum with Williams away ( rightly or wrongly).
This does need to be resolved asap (IF he is away sick, then this is difficult short term)
I guess that at least the team building seems to be in track

Nail on head @Colin B. Very sadly, nail on head.

Last edited:

The only excuse I thought of that could have some legs is IF the club were able to negotiate a temporary stand with Kassam does that not throw out the claim that Kassam is a terrible landlord and will not negotiate on a new licence being signed beyond 2026?

I wanted a temporary stand like everyone else but not at a cost that it could derail the new stadium.

So either:

The only excuse I thought of that could have some legs is IF the club were able to negotiate a temporary stand with Kassam does that not throw out the claim that Kassam is a terrible landlord and will not negotiate on a new licence being signed beyond 2026?

I wanted a temporary stand like everyone else but not at a cost that it could derail the new stadium.

It also shows just how inadequate the Kassam is to host the level of football we would expect, or provide a decent environment that modern football fans deserve.

However, I do understand that statements from the club may need to be sensitive to many other factors, but silence achieves nothing.

Correct me if I'm
It also shows just how inadequate the Kassam is to host the level of football we would expect, or provide a decent environment that modern football fans deserve.

However, I do understand that statements from the club may need to be sensitive to many other factors, but silence achieves nothing.
I think they have to trend carefully with him.we will need him to extent lease in 2026.

Agree completely @Colin B

What I find really confusing at the moment ( bearing in mind we have just been promoted and taken around 35000 fans to Wembley) is that we seem to have two separate sections in our club.

On the one hand we have Des and the team responsible for getting players in (successfully)and when we do the people behind this do great videos about the player, and everything seems exciting and positive.Intervies are put out straight away

On the other hand we have the ST fiasco and the Temporary Stand fiasco.The Matete fiasco and the stadium delay. A brief statement from the club on the last two points but not in any depth and no interviews with the CEO or MD about two very serious issues.

The CEO is nowhere to be seen, is he on a long holiday, or has he gone ,who knows.

It was Mr Ferguson telling us just after the victory parade that we were looking into a Temporary Stand. Since then zilch.
More importantly the ST issue. A statement clarifying the position is needed.

What the f**k is going on?

Edit
OxVox find this perfectly acceptable by the way.

Forgot to say Adam Benson is more and more prominent and one of our all time legends working at the club fears the worse, with lots of new faces coming in and lots of long term employees moving out

Agree completely @Colin B

What I find really confusing at the moment ( bearing in mind we have just been promoted and taken around 35000 fans to Wembley) is that we seem to have two separate sections in our club.

On the one hand we have Des and the team responsible for getting players in (successfully)and when we do the people behind this do great videos about the player, and everything seems exciting and positive.Intervies are put out straight away

On the other hand we have the ST fiasco and the Temporary Stand fiasco.The Matete fiasco and the stadium delay. A brief statement from the club on the last two points but not in any depth and no interviews with the CEO or MD about two very serious issues.

The CEO is nowhere to be seen, is he on a long holiday, or has he gone ,who knows.

It was Mr Ferguson telling us just after the victory parade that we were looking into a Temporary Stand. Since then zilch.
More importantly the ST issue. A statement clarifying the position is needed.

What the f**k is going on?

Edit
OxVox find this perfectly acceptable by the way.

Forgot to say Adam Benson is more and more prominent and one of our all time legends working at the club fears the worse, with lots of new faces coming in and lots of long term employees moving out
Williams is just on an extended holiday after going over to visit the owners.

My concern is that while he has gone the decision to suddenly stop selling ST's has been made. I'd really like to know who made this decision if it wasn't the CEO.
If TW and GF aren't careful then all these new ST holders won't be hanging around after this season if we get treated like we are by certain club employees.

Because them other clubs own their stadium or don't have a greedy scum of a landlord. Kassam wanted to charge extra to rent the carpark where the stand would be erected and it was an insane cost per year apparently.

The sooner we are out of that dump and it's flattened for much needed housing the better.
I’d prefer it was flattened without getting planning permission for houses, and returned to recreational use only!

The Wrexham stand was said to be costing them about £250,000 more than they would receive in gate receipts. But this was for half a season, when it was first installed, not over a full season. If temporary stand costs were so high as to be prohibitive, temporary stand companies would not exist.

However, let's assume a worst case scenario, and that in fact it would lose that amount over a full season. What Wrexham didn't have is an extra 700 seats in the North Stand that then became available. If those extra 700 seats sold at an average of £18 per match x 25 matches, then that is an extra £315,000 that OUFC would make, that Wrexham don't make, thereby putting the temporary stand in profit.

Another thing that Wrexham didn't have, though, was Firoz Kassam. So if we take it at face value that the extra cost that Kassam wants to charge us for taking up a small piece of a car park (that is only a car park because he never built a bloody stand on it in the first place!) is so huge as to render the whole project unviable, then we know where the blame lies.

Let's be clear here, whether it's cost, refusal, or sheer bloody awkwardness, Kassam is, as ever, the man standing in the way of our progress, AGAIN. That people think we could simply sit down at the table with him and negotiate to buy the stadium defies belief. We need to be away from him and his shitty stadium if we are ever to fulfil our potential.
But I thought he went to Wembley to support us and that he cares about the club!

So either:

Presuming there would have to be a contract break payment to the learner driving folk?
If they have a contract for 5 years and he needs to change/scrap it a couple of years in there is probably a cost.
And he would want to recoup that loss AND the income he would have received for the remainder of their contract.

Williams is just on an extended holiday after going over to visit the owners.

My concern is that while he has gone the decision to suddenly stop selling ST's has been made. I'd really like to know who made this decision if it wasn't the CEO.
If TW and GF aren't careful then all these new ST holders won't be hanging around after this season if we get treated like we are by certain club employees.

You don’t honestly believe this, do you?

What CEO of a football club has an extended holiday, during the busiest time of the year for their role?

It’s B*****s from the club and OxVox need to be better and ask more pressing questions.

Despite being a member, I’ve found their (OxVox) representation of us, the supporters, to be sub standard on extremely important issues for some time now.

You don’t honestly believe this, do you?

What CEO of a football club has an extended holiday, during the busiest time of the year for their role?

It’s B*****s from the club and OxVox need to be better and ask more pressing questions.

Despite being a member, I’ve found their (OxVox) representation of us, the supporters, to be sub standard on extremely important issues for some time now.

Maybe that is because the club no longer view them as important.

They have their own construct for cosy chats with easy access.

Divide & conquer and all that.

Back
Top Bottom