General Team of the decade

The Roller

If we had to decide a team of the decade (2010-2019) who would make your team?

I suppose this is complicated by having to choose by biggest impact, rather than just outright ability.

I would go for:

Eastwood

Ruffels Dunkley Wright Ricardinho

Potter Maguire Lundstram O'Dowda

Roofe Beano

Would be interested to know what eleven other people would pick. I'll allow subs benches!

Clarke
Baldock Nelson Wright Ruffels
Whyte Ledson Brannigan Roofe
Basham Constable​

More players I liked/would love to see in a team together in their prime

A mix of what I’d consider to be the players who made the biggest impact and those with the greatest ability. Mapp is in charge, of course.

Eastwood

Baldock Nelson Wright Ricardinho

Roofe Brannagan Lundstram Maguire

Hylton Constable

I think I would choose a team like this

Eastwood
Baldock. Nelson. Wright. Ruffles
Ledson
Brannagan. Lundstram
Roofe. Maguire
Constable

Would be quite an exciting team with a few goals in my opinion

From a purely talent perspective I'd go:

Eastwood
Baldock Nelson Wright Ricardinho
Whyte Lundstram Brannagan Johnson
Maguire
Roofe

Taking into consideration other factors (impact on the club, level of connection with the fans, length of service, success) I'd go:

Eastwood
Baldock Dunkley Wright Skarz
Roofe Sercombe Lundstram Maguire
Hylton Constable

Special mentions to: Ryan Clarke, Alfie Potter, Johnny Mullins, Ryan Ledson, Callum O'Dowda, Ivo Pekalski.

So basically 2010-19 team of the decade is the best team since we got back into the league......

Think I'll pick a KR formation, because it helps get our best players into the team:

Eastwood
Lundstram Brannigan Ledson
Roofe Maguire
Constable

Subs: Clarke, Dunkley, Mullins, Sercombe, O'Dowda, Johnson, Hylton

Who would have thought a few years back that Ruffels would still be here, let alone getting mentions for team of the decade - just shows what can happen when youngsters are allowed the time to develop without needing to hit the first team running at day one or be out...

Eastwood
Baldock, Dunkley, Nelson, Ricardinho
Whyte, Lundstram, Brannagan, Johnson
Roofe, Maguire.

• React
Reactions: ljs
I'd actually go against the grain with Ryan Clarke in goal. Best part of 250 games with some occasionally dodgy defences but consistently pulled off some incredible saves. Simon Eastwood definitely makes the bench though!

Right back has to be George Baldock. We've not been blessed in this position and whilst the likes of Damien Batt was steady, no one has been as exciting as young George (although maybe Chris Cadden has a few months to stake a claim!).

Centre backs would be Jake Wright and Michael Duberry. Wright was one of the first names on the team sheet for so long and rarely had a bad game. He was also a natural leader and would captain this side. Dubs, was occasionally brilliant, occasionally an absolute liability, but always entertaining! Nelson makes the bench.

Left back is similar to our issues at right back. Few that have really stood out, although most have been steady enough. For sheer entertainment again it will have to be Richardinho. Josh Ruffels makes the bench for his versatility to fit in anywhere.

Midfield is probably the hardest area to pick from as we've been blessed with so many. I'd go with John Lundstrum and Cameron Brannagan in the middle. Both are complete midfield players who could offer much needed cover to the defence, as well as quickly linking to attack. Lundstrum is already back in the PL, and I have no doubt that Brannagan won't also go on to play at the highest level, the Jim Magilton of today. Ledson would sit on the bench for this central position.

On the right I'll play Kemar Roofe, which may not be his best position but would fit in with a very fluid front 4. Roofe was sensational and, at times, unplayable.

On the left, Marvin Johnson. His time with us will be soured by the way he left, but on his day he was as good as Roofe and played with some decent discipline whilst at left back. On the bench would be Chris Maguire and Robbie Hall on his first showing for us. Maguire would not be happy on the bench but just think that others offer that little bit more.

Upfront, James Constable and Danny Hylton. Both made scoring look easy and could also put in a decent shift, and didn't get mugged off very often. They were also team players and would create as many as they'd score. I'd play Hylton just a little deeper so I don't P**s off Robinson by going 442!!! For out and out strikers, I'd have Conor McAleny on the bench.

Clarke
Baldock, Wright, Duberry, Richardinho
Lundstrum, Brannagan
Roofe, Hylton, Johnson
Constable

Eastwood, Nelson, Ruffels, Ledson, Maguire, Hall (first time round), McAleny.

Interesting that Joe Rothwell doesn’t get a mention. At his best could be brilliant and went on to get a decent move to a higher division. Just shows how blessed we’ve been in the midfield department under Mapp and KR.

Based on pure ability at their prime with us:

Eastwood
Baldock Wright Nelson Ruffels
Gorrin
Brannagan Lundstram
Fosu Roofe Whyte
Difficult to leave out Cadden, Dickie and Henry but would definitely make the bench.
Got to take into account recent results of 6-0 and beating West ham 4-0. That team would walk league 1 without a doubt.

Eastwood
Brannagan Ledson Lundstram
Whyte O’Dowda
Roofe

That team with Appleton managing would be a promotion team in League one imo, lots of midfield options and could replace Callum with Hylton to give us an out and out striker

So basically 2010-19 team of the decade is the best team since we got back into the league......

Think I'll pick a KR formation, because it helps get our best players into the team:

Eastwood
Lundstram Brannigan Ledson
Roofe Maguire
Constable

Subs: Clarke, Dunkley, Mullins, Sercombe, O'Dowda, Johnson, Hylton

? this!

Mine is:

Eastwood
Baldock Dickie Wright Ruffels
Lundstram Brannagan
Henry Maguire O'Dowda
Roofe

There are so many when you think about who is left out but Henry has to be in any side for me based on his consistent output for the team over his time at the club. Dickie pips Nelson for his ability with the ball and aerially. COD pips Johnson because of his attitude on the pitch which was far superior to Johnson.

Eastwood
Baldock Nelson Dunkley Ricardinho
Brannagan Lundstram
Johnson Maguire Fosu
Roofe

Subs: Ruffels Wright Hall Constable Henry

Back
Top Bottom