Team for Pompey

trickyricky

After watching all three games this season, here is what my team for the Pompey game would be:

Mitchell
Norman Nelson Mousinho Garbutt
Brannagan Hanson
Holmes Browne Hall
Smith

It was quite telling how much better Brannagan looked with a strong midfield partner alongside him. Baptiste had a very good game last night and allowed Brannagan to dictate play.

Browne was something else and needs to start week in, week out if he plays like that!

Whyte did enough to be pushing Hall who needs to up his game after Fleetwood.

Watched both league games and from them and hearing last night I'd go
Mitchell
Norman Dickie Mousinho Garbutt
Brannagan Hanson
Holmes Henry Browne
Smith

Hall is not ready he goes missing after 30 minutes, Henry makes attack tick and links midfield and attack better then anyone.

Mousinho over Nelson purely because I don't think Nelson is quite there in terms of match sharpness. There were moments against both Barnsley and Fleetwood he looked lost and indecisive on what to do. Mousinho and Dickie are our partnership with best understanding of eachtothers game.

Last edited:
After watching all three games this season, here is what my team for the Pompey game would be:

Mitchell
Norman Nelson Mousinho Garbutt
Brannagan Hanson
Holmes Browne Hall
Smith

It was quite telling how much better Brannagan looked with a strong midfield partner alongside him. Baptiste had a very good game last night and allowed Brannagan to dictate play.

Browne was something else and needs to start week in, week out if he plays like that!

Whyte did enough to be pushing Hall who needs to up his game after Fleetwood.

That's the exact team I'd go for.

Mousinho, Norman, and Browne all played themselves into the first 11 last night.

Mitchell
Norman Dickie Mousinho Garbutt
Brannagan Hanson
Browne Henry Holmes
Obika

Subs: Stevens, Nelson, Ruffels, Baptiste, Whyte, Hall, Smith

I'd want Baptiste to start to be honest, but if Robinson feels Hanson is fit enough, he'll go with him. Pompey will be seen as too strong a test to risk it.

No Mackie in my team. He's still getting sharp, and I don't know why we're throwing games out the window to get him up to speed.

Really? Hall over Henry? Henry got 2 assists last night, if he's fit he starts over Hall.

I think Hall offers more natural width and ability to beat his man. If Henry plays, it has to be in the no10 which means Holmes gets pushed out wide, but he will inevitably drift all over the pitch, causing us to be too narrow for my liking.

I prefer to at least try to play square pegs in square holes. I don't like trying to fit players into a system that doesn't suit them.

I think Hall offers more natural width and ability to beat his man. If Henry plays, it has to be in the no10 which means Holmes gets pushed out wide, but he will inevitably drift all over the pitch, causing us to be too narrow for my liking.

I prefer to at least try to play square pegs in square holes. I don't like trying to fit players into a system that doesn't suit them.

The problem:
Natural 10s who can play wide - Henry, Holmes, Browne, Carruthers.
Natural wide men - Hall, Whyte.

Fair enough, I just think that Hall isn't fit enough to start just yet! Watching him on Saturday he wasn't involved very much and was very lazy in my opinion, left Mcmahon exposed by not tracking back. I feel like with Hall missing the Ireland games and not playing until Palace [If i remember correctly] he is 3 or 4 games behind everyone else. He 100% needs to be involved but until he is up to speed i'd have him as an impact sub in final 20 minutes.

Fair enough, I just think that Hall isn't fit enough to start just yet! Watching him on Saturday he wasn't involved very much and was very lazy in my opinion, left Mcmahon exposed by not tracking back. I feel like with Hall missing the Ireland games and not playing until Palace [If i remember correctly] he is 3 or 4 games behind everyone else. He 100% needs to be involved but until he is up to speed i'd have him as an impact sub in final 20 minutes.
I can't honestly remember Hall beating his man last Saturday, but I think that is a combination of being well marshalled, not being fully match fit, taking a knock early on and the rest of the team around him playing so poorly that his opportunities were severely limited. This is why he looks like he drifted out of the game in my opinion.

Agree with you though that until he's up to speed (and the rest of the team start playing like one), he needs to start from the bench.

Hall was poor on Saturday but was the only bright spark from the Barnsley match, and looked sharp in the pre-season friendly against Leeds. I'd start him, but replace him at HT if it's evident he's not at it.

Browne played well at wide left last night and certainly didn't look out of position, so I'd go with the three of:
Holmes, Henry, Browne (if all fit).

Up front Obika also did his chances of a start on Saturday no harm at all.

I'd leave Robbie Hall out for a couple of weeks until he has that sudden short burst of speed back. His knee was well taped up on Saturday.
I'd put Whyte on the bench and bring him on for the last 20 - 30 minutes.
Kills 2 birds by giving RH to recover more and GW game time.
From what I saw last night and I know it's only one game Browne, Henry and Whyte could be making some defenders very unhappy.

Sorry off topic but this is my first time driving down, where is good to park near by?

Parking isn't great at Fratton. Get there early Park on the estate behind the good companion pub and walk. Failing that there are a few car parks but they fill up very quickly. The closer you end up to Fratton Park the longer it will take you to get out of the city.

Sorry off topic but this is my first time driving down, where is good to park near by?
Theres a school off the Milton road which you have to pay for opposite the hospital.Almost no chance at parking on the streets down in Porstmouth,full up everytime.

Carabao Cup - Portsmouth v Wimbledon highlights

Jackett: “ We were sucker punched”

Holmes and Henry both missed training. Both are doubts for Saturday at the moment

Back
Top Bottom