Team for Pompey

KR said ..."he had already picked his team for Saturday" before KO on Tuesday? I do wish he would keep quiet on things like this.
He said it I his post match interview. He was asked something like "has tonight's performance given you food for thought for Saturday?" and he very quickly replied something like "I already know my starting line-up".

As I said on another post, I reckon this could be read as Tuesday had no bearing or that it only confirmed what he was already thinking....either way we'll find out soon enough!

If all outfield players are fully fit:
Mitchell

Norman Dickie Nelson Garbutt

Hanson Brannagan

Holmes Henry Browne

Smith​
Bench: Stevens, Mousinho, McMahon, Baptiste, Hall, Obika, Whyte

If Hanson, Dia, Holmes and Henry are not fit:
Mitchell

Baptiste Brannagan

Whyte Browne Hall

Smith​
Bench: Stevens, Mousinho, Baptiste, McMahon, Mackie , Lopez, Obika,

Last edited:
If all outfield players are fully fit:
Mitchell

Hanson Brannagan

Holmes Henry Browne

Smith​
Bench: Stevens, Mousinho, Dia, Baptiste, Hall, Obika, Whyte

If Hanson, Holmes and Henry are not fit:
Mitchell

Baptiste Brannagan

Whyte Browne Hall

Smith​
Bench: Stevens, Mousinho, Raglan, Ruffels, Dia, Lopez, Obika, (if Dia is not fit then I suppose Long could come in)

I think you’re second prediction is closer. Holmes will 100% not start if KR’s interview is to be believed as he talks about ‘long term benefit’ with Holmes having back injections.
Pity cos that’s two from Sheff Utd who are crocked. Wilder knew what he was doing!

I think you’re second prediction is closer. Holmes will 100% not start if KR’s interview is to be believed as he talks about ‘long term benefit’ with Holmes having back injections.
Pity cos that’s two from Sheff Utd who are crocked. Wilder knew what he was doing!
Oxford fan thinks CW is the messiah shock!!
If CW realised that Carruthers would get that injury then...

If and when Holmes is fit I feel he should basically be told by KR to play as he wants, he has the experience and ability to dictate our play wherever he is on the pitch so maybe a free role would suit him and the team better?

If and when Holmes is fit I feel he should basically be told by KR to play as he wants, he has the experience and ability to dictate our play wherever he is on the pitch so maybe a free role would suit him and the team better?
No. At this level no player is worth sacrificing the basic principles of positions and responsibilities. They might look good as an individual roaming around and doing whatever they want but the team will suffer. Against Fleetwood he seemed to be going wherever he wanted and as a result there was no shape and patterns of play were non-existent. Defensively especially this causes chaos because the midfield has to second guess how to protect the back line rather than automatically knowing who controls which areas of the pitch. One of the reasons the Coventry game went as well as it did was because every player knew their role and stuck to it. Work hard, stick to your areas and when you have the ball, show some quality and move as a unit. If we have a player just floating about however they like then the other ten will have to start making independent decisions, and you can't execute any form of pre-planned moves. Your entire team becomes reactive and at this level you just don't have the quality for it. At the top level you can sometimes afford an exceptional player to play the free role, because they're that good and the players around him have the speed and process of thought to make the right moves and react quickly. A totally free role at this level is asking for trouble.

No. At this level no player is worth sacrificing the basic principles of positions and responsibilities. They might look good as an individual roaming around and doing whatever they want but the team will suffer. Against Fleetwood he seemed to be going wherever he wanted and as a result there was no shape and patterns of play were non-existent. Defensively especially this causes chaos because the midfield has to second guess how to protect the back line rather than automatically knowing who controls which areas of the pitch. One of the reasons the Coventry game went as well as it did was because every player knew their role and stuck to it. Work hard, stick to your areas and when you have the ball, show some quality and move as a unit. If we have a player just floating about however they like then the other ten will have to start making independent decisions, and you can't execute any form of pre-planned moves. Your entire team becomes reactive and at this level you just don't have the quality for it. At the top level you can sometimes afford an exceptional player to play the free role, because they're that good and the players around him have the speed and process of thought to make the right moves and react quickly. A totally free role at this level is asking for trouble.

Maguire?

Jackett ahead of Oxford match.
After seeing this video i hope Robinson has the wingers and fullbacks wipping crosses in to the back post and put there fullbacks under pressure to make the clearance they didn't look comfortable dealing with them against Wimbledon

KR said ..."he had already picked his team for Saturday" before KO on Tuesday? I do wish he would keep quiet on things like this.
Well, apparently the league cup, as far as KR is concerned is 'irrelevant' .... all the decent performances put in for tuesday nights WIN, by the 8 squad players who were called in for first team duty, it seems count for nothing , as he already had picked the team for Pompey ! ...as another poster has already said, we'll find out soon enough (tomorrow!) :oops:

May be presuming a little but just because he has said the team for the next game is sorted does not mean that he cannot change it during the intervening 5 days. Hope he finalises it based on the latest performances and who is to say the team on Tuesday is not the one he had in mind anyway.

Back
Top Bottom