Tactics with 10 men

Foley

When we played at Burton a lot on here praised Clough for his tactics when they had a player sent off early and drew 0 0. They sat back with 2 banks of 4 barely trying to even get into our half.
On 3 occasions now we have won when down to 10 men (ok v Charlton the Eastwood dismissal was in the second half).
KR has to take a lot of credit for the tactics in thise games. Against a poor Walsall we dominated the second half and went for the win.
Today he even moved Mackie back leaving Whyte upfront. This worked! Hanson and Brannaghan changed the game at half time
Against Charlton we best the best team in the Division in the past few games.
Well done Mr Robinson.

When we played at Burton a lot on here praised Clough for his tactics when they had a player sent off early and drew 0 0. They sat back with 2 banks of 4 barely trying to even get into our half.
On 3 occasions now we have won when down to 10 men (ok v Charlton the Eastwood dismissal was in the second half).
KR has to take a lot of credit for the tactics in thise games. Against a poor Walsall we dominated the second half and went for the win.
Today he even moved Mackie back leaving Whyte upfront. This worked! Hanson and Brannaghan changed the game at half time
Against Charlton we best the best team in the Division in the past few games.
Well done Mr Robinson.

When Hanson came on the guy behind me insistently decided to start giving him abuse. Even when the ball was on the other side of the pitch he shouted at Hanson to "do something". Bringing Hanson on strengthened the midfield up and it worked a treat.

I just wish some fans would get behind the team a bit more than instantly shout abuse at certain players.

Apart from that one idiot I thought the fans were excellent yesterday and we really got behind the players. It's also impressive to take 900 fans to a end of season dead rubber. I took 2 people yesterday to the game who didn't support Oxford and they both came away saying how great the game was and they will be coming with me next season to more games.

I just wish some fans would get behind the team a bit more than instantly shout abuse at certain players.

Sadly we do have a number of fans who make up their minds about players (and manager) and refuse to see anything to change their view. Hanson had some average games in midfield, and was no more than ok at right back, but I've not seen him give up and he always seems to give everything (even if that still isn't enough). But then we've had those who thought Kashi was only here because he's mates with Robinson, that Sam Long would never make it and even those who said Whyte and Sykes were untested and out of their depth. If this season has shown anything, it is that we need to give players, managers and possibly even owners, time to get things right. Mistakes will happen, players will be in and out of form, results aren't always as predicted.

As for Robinson's tactics, I think they're fairly consistent but more obvious when we lose a player. Basically we aim to win and control the middle of the pitch. Kashi, Brannaghan do the nasty work with the wingers and number 10 role pulling in to add numbers. We effectively defend with 10 players all over the pitch. We then have the one outlet (Sinclair, Browne, Whyte) to hassle the back 4 and give time for the midfield to support. We then attack in numbers from all over. Nelson and Dickie step up almost into a sweeping role, Long and Ruffels, give deeper width, Kashi covers and everyone else gets forward. This means we are often attacking with 6 or 7 players, and have width on both sides. Because we attack and defend in greater numbers we are able to cope with one less. We can drop the number 10 role into the middle, pull one of the wider players in, or push Mackie up and move the ball forward quicker.

This is very much Robinson's style of play, and relies on good levels of fitness, working as a unit and doing the ugly things well. We were neither fit enough, strong enough or stable enough for this to work at the beginning of the season. But put all elements together and we are very effective even if we do lose the odd hot head!!

The funny thing is, those players that have been derided earlier in the season have now come to the fore and put in performances when we have most needed them. This could be down to a pretty much fit squad and proper competition for places, however Garbutt, Hanson, Mackie have played important roles of late.

KR said at the start of the season to judge him once we have a fully fit squad - by no means am I his biggest fan, but we must give credit to him and the staff for putting this run together.

It would be quite easy to pack it in yesterday - down to 10 men, given away a penalty, losing at half time with our mid table place secure and a possible feeling of 'job done' but KR managed to rally the team at HT unlike Ricketts.

This summer could be an exciting one, assuming we are clever in the transfer window

Seriously important for us to get the right players in to bolster this squad of burgeoning talent in the summer. If we can do that, then I see us really giving it a right go next season.

What do you think we need?

What do you think we need?

It's difficult because individuals are putting a claim in for various positions. It was only a few weeks back that some were saying that we need a back up keeper, 2 full backs, replacement for Nelson plus 1 more centre back, cover in centre mid, a winger or 2 and @bazzer9461 20 goal a season striker.

Since then we've had Jack Steven's demonstrate that he has enough to be backup to Eastwood, and 2 very decent fullback in Long and Ruffels. Jones would certainly be a good enough backup centre back, and Kellcher could also return. Sykes looks a great find, and Whyte could be the front man we're looking for.

I would definitely look to keep Kashi, and also Sinclair and Garbutt depending on cost. An experienced centre back would also be on my list, as would another couple of young players like Whyte and Sykes who can develop into first teamers. Beyond that, we've got a fairly decent squad so whilst our recruitment needs to be good, I'm not sure we need a massive overhaul.

Okay, just because you asked nicely Shosho, a good, experienced left sided centre-back (Nico Jones is not quite ready...yet!).
A striker who can score goals and play the lone striker role, someone like Ivan Toney.
Re-signing on loan Graham and Sinclair.
Kashi on a free (as long as he can keep from getting himself sent off)?

Sadly we do have a number of fans who make up their minds about players (and manager) and refuse to see anything to change their view. Hanson had some average games in midfield, and was no more than ok at right back, but I've not seen him give up and he always seems to give everything (even if that still isn't enough). But then we've had those who thought Kashi was only here because he's mates with Robinson, that Sam Long would never make it and even those who said Whyte and Sykes were untested and out of their depth. If this season has shown anything, it is that we need to give players, managers and possibly even owners, time to get things right. Mistakes will happen, players will be in and out of form, results aren't always as predicted.

This absolutely does my head in. Sensible objective discussion with these types is impossible. They ignore what is before them, when arguing don't understand the difference between facts and opinions and fail to understand that 90% plus of a footballers work is done without the ball. It brings me back to Northampton away many years back when Lee Bradbury was warming up and about to be brought on as sub. Someone shouted very loudly "Bradbury you're s**t" I asked why they thought he was s**t and the reply was "Cos he's s**t". Says it all.

But I agree the vast majority of our away following has been magnificent recently.

Every team has it's idiot fans. I hope the players have learnt to ignore them.

Back
Top Bottom