General Sykes wants to play for the republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of them find it difficult to represent N Ireland for obvious reasons. If we grew up there we would probably understand it a bit more.

I read the 'poorly advised' comment being in reference to you making that particular 'Catholic then' comment.

Bear in mind, Sykes represented the Northern Irish U21s 11 times (when he was managed by the current boss of the main national team), and was in 3 training camps with the main squad under O'Neill.

Until Sykes comes out and gives a reason, it's all guesswork on our part. Best not to resort to simple secular speculation.

I read the 'poorly advised' comment being in reference to you making that particular 'Catholic then' comment.

Bear in mind, Sykes represented the Northern Irish U21s 11 times (when he was managed by the current boss of the main national team), and was in 3 training camps with the main squad under O'Neill.

Until Sykes comes out and gives a reason, it's all guesswork on our part. Best not to resort to simple secular speculation.
Highly likely that will be the reason though. Which of course is his personal decision.

If you were born in Oxford, you are Welsh then...
The answer is yes you could be Welsh. If your parents are for example, you may feel Welsh too. It is possible to align yourself to more than one country you know. It's possible to feel you belong to more than one place. I'm the son of an immigrant. I was born here, I feel English but certainly don't just feel English.

Are we really still having comments that suggest negative connotations relating to whether someone is protestant/catholic, Irish/Northern Irish, Celtic/Rangers etc?

I would imagine for the majority of us, it has little relevance or impact on our daily lives, yet for some reason (and it's since the referendum), it seems to be a topic that has become "louder" again. Certainly going to watch England away has noticeably changed since 2016 with increased volume of anti-pope style chants. Normally by teenagers in who in the main have no idea about history and certainly have seen no troubles during their lifetime, yet presumably have gathered their opinions from those elders who they associate themselves with.

Who Mark Sykes choose to pledge his international football allegiance to has absolutely no relevance to me or any of us.

Doesn't make the Republic squad anyway. Will be glad to have him available for league selection for the time being.

Doesn't make the Republic squad anyway. Will be glad to have him available for league selection for the time being.

I’d assume he’s been given some indication that this isn’t far from reach though. Unless there is some non-footballing reason why he’s made this decision after being included in 4 previous full squads.

The answer is yes you could be Welsh. If your parents are for example, you may feel Welsh too. It is possible to align yourself to more than one country you know. It's possible to feel you belong to more than one place. I'm the son of an immigrant. I was born here, I feel English but certainly don't just feel English.
Me too, I support the England football team but feel allegiance to the other country in some other ways

From Mark Sykes himself:

“It was a really difficult decision. I genuinely wish Northern Ireland all the best and know they will do well under their new Manager, who I have worked with before and really like.

“The last few weeks have given me time to think about things and I have to do what my heart says.

“The Republic of Ireland are the team I have always dreamed of playing for and I have to try my best to achieve that. I am proud to have been involved with the Northern Ireland team, and have always given it my all, but I had to make a choice and it had to be now.”

After reading his comments on the OWS, he is clear that his dream has always been to play for the RoI. I suspect he knows that his performances for us will have made his full debut very likely in the upcoming games and with that goes his chance to fulfil his dream. I can understand why NI fans will be annoyed, he's taken up valuable resources from their FA, but it should be of no consequence to us, other than it make him more available for us than before. That's good news in my book.

Good luck to the lad. I'm sure it's not a decision he took lightly.
The vast majority of the Yellows fanbase are non-bigoted and I'm sure this will barely register amongst most.
There are occasional weird comments about Rangers and 'Chelsea lads' that i suspect are based on some sort of loyalist bigotry, but it's quite obscure.

THAT piece of skill from Sykesy for the second goal v Woking.

Playing behind the striker could see him do some serious damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom