League One Swindon on the brink

• Thread starter Deleted member 808
  • Start date
I appreciate it’s a rival, but I’ve never understood points deductions as punishments for financial mismanagement. It doesn’t hurt those running the club, only the fans and players. Points are earned on merit and graft, taking them away has never seemed logical to me.

I feel the solution is enforcing a personal guarantee by the owners that means a hefty fine to them directly as punishment for this kind of debacle. It would discourage the types charlatans we’ve seen at Blackpool and Charlton who are deliberately trying to force clubs to go bust to cash in on the land/assets.

The real financial problem that is damaging football is the toothless measures to discourage teams like City from buying trophies.

I've thought much the same about points deductions - they don't really tackle the problem.

If teams were denied promotion for a number of seasons, then the players could still compete in the league but no matter where they finish, the team below them takes their place in the promotion or playoff spot and they lose any prize monies which they would have gained.

The fans still have a competition to follow and might be able to boast they would have won [the league] if only.....

Points deductions are applied because the "Club" as a whole entity cheated in some way to gain an advantage on the pitch either directly or indirectly.

The two are connected as the "Club" gains in some way.

Equally, they are valid punishments because the supporters are "just customers", ultimate sanction and all that.

And the EFL, just for a change, completely bottled it. 🤷‍♀️

Points deductions are applied because the "Club" as a whole entity cheated in some way to gain an advantage on the pitch either directly or indirectly.

The two are connected as the "Club" gains in some way.

Equally, they are valid punishments because the supporters are "just customers", ultimate sanction and all that.

And the EFL, just for a change, completely bottled it. 🤷‍♀️
I’m not sure describing a situation where professional footballers are working for a promise of payment, already owed months in salary, as cheating is the best terminology, but I appreciate your point to a degree.

Back
Top Bottom