National News Supreme court ruling

gofish2

Will the Supreme court rule-

1. The Government's Proroguing of Parliament was unlawful and therefore Parliament should resume

2. The Government's Proroguing of Parliament was unlawful, and the PM must not do it again (naughty Bojo)

3, It was lawful

4. It is not for the judiciary to involve itself in Government matters and although concerned about the it's actions, it can not further intervene.

For me it's 2 or 4 in view of the wheels within wheels and the fact that historically the relationship between the Judiciary and the Government has been a tense one.

It won't be 1, I would have thought.
If the Courts find it illegal they will I suspect not want to be involved in saying that Parliament has to return

It really should be 4.

Parliament has certain privileges which grant members the freedom to debate without fear of legal proceedings arising and this is seen as a valuable protection to allow any and all views to be expressed in the chamber.

If a precedent is set to place parliamentary procedures under the scrutiny of the judiciary, who's to say how this new found power might be wielded in the future......

It really should be 4.

Parliament has certain privileges which grant members the freedom to debate without fear of legal proceedings arising and this is seen as a valuable protection to allow any and all views to be expressed in the chamber.

If a precedent is set to place parliamentary procedures under the scrutiny of the judiciary, who's to say how this new found power might be wielded in the future......
Yeah, we might end up with politicians being held to account for lying, misleading and being unable to hide behind forms of diplomatic immunity. They might actually have to behave like normal people and abide by the same laws anyone else does, and conduct themselves honestly and without a safety blanket of loopholes hundreds of years old to throw over themselves. Loopholes carried down for centuries after being brought in as a way of protecting those in power, in a time when corruption was exclusively the name of the game. Jesus, we might end up having to totally modernise the way our parliament operates.

NOT ON MY WATCH!

Johnson's proroguing of Parliament was unlawful. Unanimous decision and a damning judgement. Any other period of politics and it would be a resignation event but with Johnson it won't be. I bet Johnson goes to prorogue Parliament again as has previously been suggested he will do.

Edit: Interesting that the court said that this prorogation wasn't a process of parliament but that it was imposed on parliament.

Last edited:
If enough people do, yes.

Has he given any previous indication in his behaviour previously, from before the Referendum even, that he is likely to resign because people call for it? I certainly haven't seen any as his whole effort has been about his own personal ambitions.

As Iain Dale has just said.
When Parliament returns, surely there will be an immediate vote of confidence. If not, why not?

What is really going to take some patience is when that odious piece of s**t Bercow gets up on his chair with a smirk right across his face.

The funny thing is, will the opposition parties now call for a vote of no confidence and thus a general election? I'll bet they don't.

They won't until after the 31st October to make sure that the UK doesn't fall out of the EU with a no deal Brexit. The same reason they didn't vote for a GE when Johnson put it to the vote twice recently as this has further demonstrated Johnson's untrustworthyness, even compared to other politicians.

Don't worry. This is all part of Dom 'the Grandmaster' Cummings's plan. We're just too dumb to understand what is happening in front of our very own eyes.

As Iain Dale has just said.
When Parliament returns, surely there will be an immediate vote of confidence. If not, why not?
And then we can get the election everyone seems to want! But it might cause strife when 31st October comes. What will happen if there is no one re-negotiate?

I saw some scamp last week say can Boris just prorogue parliament again once it returns?

And then we can get the election everyone seems to want! But it might cause strife when 31st October comes. What will happen if there is no one re-negotiate?

I saw some scamp last week say can Boris just prorogue parliament again once it returns?

Hence why a no confidence vote or Johnson succeeding with a vote for a GE will only happen after 31st October.

It wouldnt suprise me if Bozo , via Cummings , somewhat ironically appeals to the EU supreme court ( which currently has juristiction of UK supreme court), ...... Wouldnt put anything past Cummings or Johnson in their clinging onto power quest

It wouldnt suprise me if Bozo , via Cummings , somewhat ironically appeals to the EU supreme court ( which currently has juristiction of UK supreme court), ...... Wouldnt put anything past Cummings or Johnson in their clinging onto power quest

This is nothing to do with EU law, this is all British law so the European courts have no jurisdiction.