General Supporters Panel - Yay or Nay?

Do the supporters on here want or need a Supporters Panel ?

  • Yes

    Votes: 35 53.8%
  • No

    Votes: 30 46.2%

  • Total voters
    65
  • This poll will close: .

Scotchegg

Well-known member
Joined
14 Dec 2017
Messages
7,653
Yes and out!

Third thread with exactly the same circular arguments that will become increasingly tedious!!

Why not head over to the Mickey Lewis thread to see how amazing his memorial game will be?!
 

guyellow

Active member
Joined
8 Dec 2017
Messages
435
How do Oxvox feel about this new group?
The following statement, which has been shared on other threads was written by Oxvox together with the OUSP working group.
OxVox is a democratic, membership-based organisation that deals mainly with the broader issues of the club's financial safety, governance, sustainability, ownership, stadium and its place in the wider community. The OUSP is a group of representatives, elected by supporters, that will mainly focus on operational issues along with the matchday experience for each and every supporter. Both OUSP and OxVox share a passion for OUFC and its future success so will work together on the shared issues. OxVox will have a representative on the Panel to ensure there is continued communication.
 

ljs

Well-known member
Joined
7 Dec 2017
Messages
1,948
The following statement, which has been shared on other threads was written by Oxvox together with the OUSP working group.

OxVox is a democratic, membership-based organisation that deals mainly with the broader issues of the club's financial safety, governance, sustainability, ownership, stadium and its place in the wider community. The OUSP is a group of representatives, elected by supporters, that will mainly focus on operational issues along with the matchday experience for each and every supporter. Both OUSP and OxVox share a passion for OUFC and its future success so will work together on the shared issues. OxVox will have a representative on the Panel to ensure there is continued communication.

OxVox deals 'mainly' with the issues stated, but also with more fan orientated things as mentioned recently on here by the former ultra.

To my mind it would probably be more beneficial, and more efficient (one group, one line of communication - no possible sidelining of OxVox), if these people volunteering their time (good on you) were doing so under the OxVox umbrella (such as a sub group).
 

Essexyellows

Well-known member
Joined
7 Dec 2017
Messages
10,403
OxVox is a democratic, membership-based organisation that deals mainly with the broader issues of the club's financial safety, governance, sustainability, ownership, stadium and its place in the wider community.

The OUSP is a group of representatives, elected by supporters (1), that will mainly focus on operational issues (2) along with the matchday experience for each and every supporter.


1. Unlikely.
2. Operational issues? Such as?


Donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/mickey-lewis-memorial-fund-official

Message me your fan number - :) 🤷‍♀️
 

WuTang

Active member
Joined
15 Dec 2017
Messages
765
Voted no in it's current state.

Yes if done through OxVox.

To the potential "panel", why not pay for OxVox membership and do it through our official supporters trust, where all members can see your minutes from club meetings etc?

It will guarantee you not being a mouthpiece for the club.

Although positive for most of the years, there were times staff (and owners!) at the club wanted our group to reiterate X, Y, Z to reflect the club in a more positive light etc. It could be easy to quickly become yes sir, no sir, when sat across from club staff you have idolised in the past. Just like the players, some of them are minor celebrities to us.

This doesn't happen if done via OxVox and guarantees the legitimacy of the group going forward.
 

Scotchegg

Well-known member
Joined
14 Dec 2017
Messages
7,653
Voted no in it's current state.

Yes if done through OxVox.

To the potential "panel", why not pay for OxVox membership and do it through our official supporters trust, where all members can see your minutes from club meetings etc?

It will guarantee you not being a mouthpiece for the club.

Although positive for most of the years, there were times staff (and owners!) at the club wanted our group to reiterate X, Y, Z to reflect the club in a more positive light etc. It could be easy to quickly become yes sir, no sir, when sat across from club staff you have idolised in the past. Just like the players, some of them are minor celebrities to us.

This doesn't happen if done via OxVox and guarantees the legitimacy of the group going forward.

You do know that this is being done with the support and engagement of OxVox? That minutes will be submitted from meetings, with less redactions than we already see from OxVox? And that those putting themselves forward are already likely members of OxVox?
 

guyellow

Active member
Joined
8 Dec 2017
Messages
435
Voted no in it's current state.

Yes if done through OxVox.

To the potential "panel", why not pay for OxVox membership and do it through our official supporters trust, where all members can see your minutes from club meetings etc?

It will guarantee you not being a mouthpiece for the club.

Although positive for most of the years, there were times staff (and owners!) at the club wanted our group to reiterate X, Y, Z to reflect the club in a more positive light etc. It could be easy to quickly become yes sir, no sir, when sat across from club staff you have idolised in the past. Just like the players, some of them are minor celebrities to us.

This doesn't happen if done via OxVox and guarantees the legitimacy of the group going forward.
I am a life member of Oxvox. I am happy that Oxvox has strength in the issues identified above. I also know that when an organisation has such issues to deal with the more mundane "operational" issues can drop off the to do list. Having a group that handles this will help ensure both happen. I think all (or maybe only 5 of 6) members of the Working group are also Oxvox members.

According to minutes on Oxvox website they have met twice in the last 12 months. I know much work is done between those meetings.
The panel has a written agreement to meet with the club at least 4 times a season.

In terms of communication, Oxvox minutes seem to be posted between 1-2 months after the meeting dates. OUSP is committed to posting minutes online within 7 working days. Easier to do when handling less sensitive issues.
It's horses for courses.
It should enable more to be achieved by working alongside each other in this way.
 

WuTang

Active member
Joined
15 Dec 2017
Messages
765
You do know that this is being done with the support and engagement of OxVox? That minutes will be submitted from meetings, with less redactions than we already see from OxVox? And that those putting themselves forward are already likely members of OxVox?
If that's the case, why not do it through OxVox? Seems like a very easy solution to guarantee legitimacy and transparency.
 

WuTang

Active member
Joined
15 Dec 2017
Messages
765
I am a life member of Oxvox. I am happy that Oxvox has strength in the issues identified above. I also know that when an organisation has such issues to deal with the more mundane "operational" issues can drop off the to do list. Having a group that handles this will help ensure both happen. I think all (or maybe only 5 of 6) members of the Working group are also Oxvox members.

According to minutes on Oxvox website they have met twice in the last 12 months. I know much work is done between those meetings.
The panel has a written agreement to meet with the club at least 4 times a season.

In terms of communication, Oxvox minutes seem to be posted between 1-2 months after the meeting dates. OUSP is committed to posting minutes online within 7 working days. Easier to do when handling less sensitive issues.
It's horses for courses.
It should enable more to be achieved by working alongside each other in this way.
Respectfully, with many many years experience doing exactly what the panel has been set up for, I disagree.
 

guyellow

Active member
Joined
8 Dec 2017
Messages
435
Respectfully, with many many years experience doing exactly what the panel has been set up for, I disagree.
Respectful disagreement is graciously acknowledged.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating as they say, and I'm sure much will depend on the make-up of the Panel which is currently unknown.
 

WuTang

Active member
Joined
15 Dec 2017
Messages
765
Respectful disagreement is graciously acknowledged.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating as they say, and I'm sure much will depend on the make-up of the Panel which is currently unknown.
It could prove to be brilliant and I will eat humble pie, but I think OxVox are missing a trick not moving it through the supporters trust at least. They may have respectfully supported the idea but I would have much preferred it to be an official panel from our supporters trust dedicated to operational and fan issues.
 

bazzer9461

Well-known member
Joined
6 Dec 2017
Messages
21,729
You do know that this is being done with the support and engagement of OxVox? That minutes will be submitted from meetings, with less redactions than we already see from OxVox? And that those putting themselves forward are already likely members of OxVox?
If so then that could cause a conflict of interest being part of two different supporter groups but both with the same agenda
 

bazzer9461

Well-known member
Joined
6 Dec 2017
Messages
21,729
No it won't!
Well it won’t if the council is made omup of Oxvox members where the merging of both groups would be better. They will deal with the same issues and the club would probably wonder why they have to address two groups at different times to discuss the same issues.
If these two groups are to have different use tied with different agendas then Oxvox members shouldn’t stand for the council.
 

Scotchegg

Well-known member
Joined
14 Dec 2017
Messages
7,653
Well it won’t if the council is made omup of Oxvox members where the merging of both groups would be better. They will deal with the same issues and the club would probably wonder why they have to address two groups at different times to discuss the same issues

The working party for the Supporters Panel, all releases from the club and statements from Oxvox have all explained how these two groups will work separately, but both for the good of the wider fanbase. Why are they all wrong?
 

ljs

Well-known member
Joined
7 Dec 2017
Messages
1,948
You do know that this is being done with the support and engagement of OxVox? That minutes will be submitted from meetings, with less redactions than we already see from OxVox? And that those putting themselves forward are already likely members of OxVox?
OxVox are hardly going to not show support for it, on the face of it, and therefore at least they have a rep on the panel.
 

Junior_1

Well-known member
Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
2,007
It would be totally unnecessary if OxVox was more visible and better supported. What a shame the SLO chose not to work with the existing organisation whose goal is to support and protect fans.

This is a good point.

Did AT contact Oxvox to try and establish a separate link and with an aim of working to improve the match day experience on a home game before the idea for the supporters panel came along..
 
Last edited:

bazzer9461

Well-known member
Joined
6 Dec 2017
Messages
21,729
The working party for the Supporters Panel, all releases from the club and statements from Oxvox have all explained how these two groups will work separately, but both for the good of the wider fanbase. Why are they all wrong?
So you’re saying to me one minute Oxvox were asked not to say something that’s been said about stadium issues that same information won’t be made available to the fans council but with the very likely possibility of at least one Oxvox member being on the council possibly more that this will remain confidential and not made known to the fans council.
I’m sure it’s a bit like ITK’s knowing something but supposed to keep quiet but it ends up on here.
 

Paul Cannell

Well-known member
Joined
7 Dec 2017
Messages
4,538
I am a life member of Oxvox. I am happy that Oxvox has strength in the issues identified above. I also know that when an organisation has such issues to deal with the more mundane "operational" issues can drop off the to do list. Having a group that handles this will help ensure both happen. I think all (or maybe only 5 of 6) members of the Working group are also Oxvox members.

A very fair point. Why, then didn't the SLO look at developing a 'matchday experience communication unit' within OxVox? This would have facilitated a view of the 'bigger picture' to both 'teams' and consequent enhancement of the fans' experience, surely?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
guyellow OUFC Boardroom 144

Similar threads


Top Bottom