Chairman Support from the Board

Sheik djibouti

Now that the transfer window has closed, it is probably worth reflecting on how well Tiger and the Board have backed Robinson in this window.

I think it is one of the best windows in recent memory and it is very rare that a manager gets pretty much what they asked for. And whilst the majority are loans (is that 6 in the squad now?), it still shows that the board are willing to back the club in these uncertain times. It is also clear that many clubs are not as fortunate as us in this respect. You only need to look at the horror show unfolding down the A420 if you dare...

As well as the board, I think a huge amount of credit has to be given to the recruitment team and Robinson for the way they have worked during this window. Identifying targets that fit the model in one thing, but landing them and making space in the squad for them is exceptional work with very little room for manoeuvre within squad and budget restrictions.

Credit where credit is due.

I totally agree.
Not taking anything away from the club, but I wonder if it has maybe been slightly easier this window? Due to the financial situation, clubs are looking to offload players and can't afford quality loan players?
Having said that, it appears to have been a fantastic transfer window and in the current financial environment, the Board have backed KR.
I also reckon that the winning run (putting us close to the play offs and raising money in the JPT) couldn't have come at a better time!

Agreed. As KR said, this window really has (on paper certainly) come together well unlike the summer one where they tried something similar. Credit goes to all involved.

And yes that is 6 loans.

Agree with the sentiments about the board. Despite seeing two key members of Tiger’s entourage leave the board (on good terms and for perfectly good reasons), we have continued on an even keel. As long as any costs for ‘going for it’ don’t jeopardise the club and are merely the funds of those investing in it, we can rest easy. I’d be watchful if the debts the club has increase at all.

Speaking of Tiger, he’s put an odd advertorial out on the official YouTube channel today. He speaks of his links to the Thai government and his links to the Amazing Thailand sponsorship. I don’t really know who it is aimed at but the club gets a few mentions.

"Dear Tiger, do any of your staff know how to photoshop a bare wire out of a photo?"
I'm sure it looks lovely now with some trendy up/downlights where once there were bare wires. Bet he can;t wait to come back and see it "in the wood" as it were. It bet it has aged/weathered to a lovely silver since then too (I've come over all Kevin McCloud :oops: )

I totally agree.
Not taking anything away from the club, but I wonder if it has maybe been slightly easier this window? Due to the financial situation, clubs are looking to offload players and can't afford quality loan players?
Having said that, it appears to have been a fantastic transfer window and in the current financial environment, the Board have backed KR.
I also reckon that the winning run (putting us close to the play offs and raising money in the JPT) couldn't have come at a better time!
I did think that (that it may be a bit easier) too...but at the end of the day you have to be prepared to take the leap of faith in the first place. I do agree that the calibre of player available may be a bit higher though, but a) you need to be completely sure they fit the model/DNA and don;t upset the good balance we eem to have (finally) achieved this season and b). are we getting fleeced on wage contribution relative to the impact they will have.

Some of that remains to be answered of course (as they've mostly yet to play, but the pedigree and ability are there.

The support Robinson has received during these financially tough times has been spot on. Let’s not forget that we probably have it tougher than some other clubs due to Ka££am. They’ve certainly proved a few of my doubts wrong.

As GUK has said, the way the club have dealt with covid has been absolutely spot on too. Right from the off we’ve been head and shoulders above in my biased opinion.

Fingers crossed the hard work that the club and board have put in these past few months is rewarded with another crack at going to the Championship in place of Wycombe whilst also watching the scum drop to L2.

I absolutely loved it when asked about the work In the community and he said ‘we’re not just a football team, we’re a football club’. I really liked that. Just saying.

On paper at least....could'nt have asked for more. The strengthening came at the right time too. Very impressed.
We need to go for jugular in each and every game. The reason I say that is I think that player for player we are right up there and if we are brave then this could be the season of all seasons. Also I think the transfer window has put necessary and healthy pressure on our best footballers to perform every week. Regardless of who you are, you have to be effecting games regularly to keep your place. The likes of Henry, Taylor, Shodipo and co should quite rightly be looking over their shoulders and relish the challenge of having these new players about.
I don't think the parent clubs of the likes of Lee and Barker are expecting their lads to sit on our bench very much a level down. Im really excited to see just how it pans out.

I will always offer constructive criticism where its deserved. And have certainly done so with the board when they were a car crash.

But equally ill praise where warranted as here. I ferl lucky to have this level of backing.

Then you must think that it's almost never deserved, or else you and I have a different understanding of the word "constructive."

Maybe we can also have a little patience and trust in the recruitment process.

Sean Clare was absolutely slatted for 3 months, had a couple of decent cameos further forward, but suddenly became Ronaldo when he went out on loan! Equally, Jordan Obita was good, but had slipped behind Shodipo in the starting line up. But then he's sold for more than be paid for Luke McNally, and the club is skint with no ambition!!

But it's not just this window. There were those questioning the signing of Marcus McGuane early on, and those saying that Rob Atkinson wasn't ready, or calling Mide Shodipo the QPR turd!!

This window has been the start of many where there will need some juggling to balance numbers and budgets, and this may mean that we lose players before others come in. But if you include the January 2018 window where Tiger funded Brannagan and Dickie coming in, there have been far more successes than failures with our recruitment.

But, of course, this will all be forgotten by the summer when the insanity starts again!!

Back
Top Bottom