Sunderland v Wycombe Playoff Final

Orkney Islands Yellow

3pm kick off today. Will be interesting to see the attendance, Sunderland will sell out there allocation and it seems Wycombe have sold 23000 which will look pretty sparse in half of Wembley. Sunderland have more fans than tickets in London:
Personally I hope Sunderland win, they were the worst of the Billy Big B*****s teams we played last season but who can forget those fireworks in Wycombe?!

Good luck to Sunderland, hope they don't fall foul of Ainsworth's dark arts.

Last edited:
Be prepared for an afternoon of negative football from Ainsworth. Frustrate Sunderland for 3/4 of the game and then counter. It's not entertaining but, it will probably win them the game. Much to everyone's disgust.

I'd like Sunderland to win just for this lad:

That video reminded me of me and my son it's what football is all about today is one day that little lad will never forget

VAR is being used in the final ....hopefully exposing Ainsworths tactics for what they are

Hoping the lesser of 2 evils ( mackems) win

Triggering an exodous of ww players as their parachute payments from their cheated to championship season run out- hopefully beginning their drop down to non league ,where they really belong

Plus their out of touch chairman morphing into star wars villan darth sidious on social media with his comments were shockingly embarassing and cringeworthy to say the least

VAR is being used in the final ....hopefully exposing Ainsworths tactics for what they are

Triggering an exodous of ww players as their parachute payments from their cheated to championship season run out- hopefully beginning their drop down to non league ,where they really belong

Plus their out of touch chairman morphing into star wars villan darth sidious on social media with his comments were shockingly embarassing and cringeworthy to say the least
That somes Wycombe up shockingly embarrassing and cringeworthy

This is what he said on their website:
Screenshot_20220521-110051_Chrome.jpg

You have to admire his confidence I suppose, he's pretty much written Alex Neal's team talk however.

I have mixed feelings about this. Any defeat of WW is normally great news but recent defeats against them, and the dreadful spectacle of their tactics, is something I'd prefer not to risk seeing again next season. On top of that, games against Sunderland feel like weekends in the Championship for us. On balance, I'd be happy to see the back of Wycombe for a season and hopefully we can pass them on our way up in a year's time.

Hope Sunderland go up, not only will it get the league's second biggest spenders up, it might also see Ainsworth jump ship next season to his hometown club Blackburn who are looking for a new manager. A Wycombe without Ainsworth and Alinfenwa next season becomes an easier task to not lose too in my opinion.

I take this afternoon as a win/win. I dislike both teams equally. Pub Team Wanderers for the appalling way they play the game. I actually don’t mind the Mick Jagger wannabe. He does a good job for them, and when he leaves they’ll be back in L2 pretty quickly. I‘ve enjoyed having Sunderland in L1 for the last four seasons, mainly for the way their supporters react after yet another defeat to a ‘poxy’ club. On balance I’d probably rather Sunderland win, but if they don’t, the sight of 46,000 disappointed Mackems will be pretty amusing.

I take this afternoon as a win/win. I dislike both teams equally. Pub Team Wanderers for the appalling way they play the game. I actually don’t mind the Mick Jagger wannabe. He does a good job for them, and when he leaves they’ll be back in L2 pretty quickly. I‘ve enjoyed having Sunderland in L1 for the last four seasons, mainly for the way their supporters react after yet another defeat to a ‘poxy’ club. On balance I’d probably rather Sunderland win, but if they don’t, the sight of 46,000 disappointed Mackems will be pretty amusing.

I'd just like to avoid the sight of Akinfenwa hogging the limelight of victory after an ineffective 10 minute cameo - again.

He'll be on our screens plenty after he retires anyway, but he gets to make it about himself after every one of their achievements.

I also know how fun it's been to see Sunderland consistently trip up and fail after much bluster and bravado for the past 4 years, but it does seem like they've gained some humility out of it, and would be going up with a friendly wave back and a 'good luck to you all, hope we don't see you again too soon' sort of attitude if they won.

For that reason, it's fingers crossed for Sunderland from me.

Sky Sports already pushing the David v Goliath nonsense saying Wycombe are massive underdogs.

🤢

Sky sports showing highlights of our game against Wycombe at Wembley 😡😡😡😡

Really interested to see how VAR plays out for a lower-tier game. You get the sense there’s a lot more dark arts in the lower leagues than at the top level in general, so will be interesting to see how much that gets called out.

The point on parachute payments is very key, too. Doubt WW would be able to sign the likes of Vokes again without them. Compare to Sunderland, who’s new owner seems to be splashing the cash both liberally and effectively. They recruited very well in January. Quite apart from anything, it’s almost certainly in our interests for next year that Sunderland win today.

Back
Top Bottom