League One Sunderland v Wednesday tonight

I don’t care what teams above us may or may not do, none of the teams above us should hold any fear for us. We’re five points off second at the half way stage and playing good football. Coupled with that new found resilience and nous that’s seen us grinding out results, the promise of a productive window already and I’m sure they’ll be looking over their shoulders at little old Oxford.

I think Wigan, Rotherham & Sunderland are nailed on to finish in the top 6. If we don’t get one of the other 3 spaces, KR would’ve underachieved this season.

Agree with that and pretty sure that Pompey will make the play-offs. So we've got to out-perform two of Plymouth, MK Dons and Ipswich, which is definitely achievable.
I like the way you have written Wycombe off already.

Some horrible defending on show, especially for the 4th goal

I thought Rotherham were actually better then Wigan in the games we have played them. But I reckon one of them will be going up with Sunderland. Play offs is anyone's but I do feel we are better equipped then last year to make a go of them. Let's hope I'm wrong and we steam pass all of them in to the autos. 🙂

I thought Wigan looked very ordinary against us. Some decent players, sure, but we nearly got a point against them despite having to play with a patchwork midfield and no bench because of Covid.

Despite the fact we got a point against both, I thought Sunderland & Rotherham both looked like better sides than Wigan. Although, to be fair, Wigan's finishing was way better than either of them.......

I still reckon that when we've got our best team out and we play up to our ability, we're a match for anyone in League One this year.'
Problem is you can't have many off days if you want to reach the autos, and we've had several already (Wombles away & Cheltenham away in particular); we're not going to be able to afford many more if we're going to have a chance at the top two.......

I'm not really fussed what teams around us are doing at the moment points wise simply because there's alot of points to play for yet we are looking very strong get January sorted and see where we finish on 30th April I personally think get January sorted and don't lose any players and we will be in top 2

I assume Wednesday have defensive problems?
Dunkley went off presumably injured within half an hour and the BBC suggested that Johnson (Marvin) was part of a back 3.

I thought Wigan looked very ordinary against us. Some decent players, sure, but we nearly got a point against them despite having to play with a patchwork midfield and no bench because of Covid.

Despite the fact we got a point against both, I thought Sunderland & Rotherham both looked like better sides than Wigan. Although, to be fair, Wigan's finishing was way better than either of them.......

I still reckon that when we've got our best team out and we play up to our ability, we're a match for anyone in League One this year.'
Problem is you can't have many off days if you want to reach the autos, and we've had several already (Wombles away & Cheltenham to away in particular); we're not going to be able to afford many more if we're going to have a chance at the top two.......

This is very true. Generally a team finishing top or second will be winning 25+ matches and losing fewer than 10. In recent years, we’ve seen the champion of the division losing 5-6 matches in a season - we’re already on five although this season will certainly see the champion end on the 8-10 defeats as it looks to be a close fought race.

The good news for us is that we aren’t playing catch up for a change and our bad spells are confined to a couple of games rather than runs of five matches or so. Ensure there are no major hiccups and we can make sure we’re in the mix.

I fear the top two spots may be beyond us - the well oiled machine in Rotherham and the finally-got-their-act together Sunderland will take the top two for me.

Some very negative outlooks here. We are right up amongst it and our performances have been growing ever stronger. A Covid outbreak at some of these clubs or a couple of dodgy weeks and we are there. You only need to add three points to our total to start realizing how in amongst it we are.

Last edited:
Some very negative outlooks here. We are right you amongst it and our performances have been growing ever stronger. A Covid outbreak at some of these clubs or a couple of dodgy weeks and we are there. You only need to add three points to our total to start realizing how in amongst it we are.
Agree.
Half a season to go and 5 points off Rotherham.
As somebody suggested we are not playing carch up this year .
A decent January window and we have a chance

I assume Wednesday have defensive problems?
Dunkley went off presumably injured within half an hour and the BBC suggested that Johnson (Marvin) was part of a back 3.

Yes, they don't appear to have any fit centre backs with Dunks out as well. The other 2 CBs (including Johnson) were makeshift being midfielders and the substitute for Dunks had been recalled from loan at a non league club just before.

Yes, they don't appear to have any fit centre backs with Dunks out as well. The other 2 CBs (including Johnson) were makeshift being midfielders and the substitute for Dunks had been recalled from loan at a non league club just before.
Surprising for such a BIG CLUB

Back
Top Bottom