Sunderland Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren't going to sell out to our own fans so can someone tell me why we couldn't give Sunderland another thousand in the north . And please don't anyone say that with more away support that's a disadvantage. Cos it never makes any difference- sorry
Cool, Where's your research for that statement? Perhaps it's just coincidence that Luton had their highest ever league finish during their ban on away fans? Isn't it naiive to think that increasing the away support by 25 percent would have no effect on the confidence of the away team?

Cool, Where's your research for that statement? Perhaps it's just coincidence that Luton had their highest ever league finish during their ban on away fans? Isn't it naiive to think that increasing the away support by 25 percent would have no effect on the confidence of the away team?
Not relevant but related. I went to Luton that season with Sunderland. Few funny stories about how we got in but must have been 1000 round the ground who cheered when we scored. Happy days.

We aren't going to sell out to our own fans so can someone tell me why we couldn't give Sunderland another thousand in the north . And please don't anyone say that with more away support that's a disadvantage. Cos it never makes any difference- sorry
Stupid boy !!

Colin B - Count to 10 before replying!

I've counted to a million and still feel angry when reading the ridiculous post from Sandy!!!

In no particular order here are the reasons why we should not give Sunderland an extra 1,000 tickets.

1 - Why should we?

2 - The League regulations stipulate 10% of capacity to away fans. 1,800 is approximately 15%.

3 - The concourses do not make for a comfortable experience for home fans if away fans have over half the stand.

4 - No one else, other than completely tin pot outfits like Wycombe and the Oystens at Blackpool, do such a thing.

5 - It is an advantage to the away team to have a large amount of fans. If it wasn't then teams would not generally be better at home.

6 - We have sold season tickets in the area that we would have to give them, so would need to move season ticket holders, causing at the very least dissatisfaction, and in many cases anger.

7 - We have only got about 400 unsold North Stand seats left, with most of those likely to go between now and Saturday. We don't need to do it.

8 - It is a false economy to P**s off your home fans for one off games by moving them. Short term gain, long term pain.

9 - Oxford United Football Club is not some sort of charity that should bend over and take it up the a**e from every visiting club that thinks of itself as a "big club"

10 - Halfway line in the North Stand are some of the best seats in the house. Why should we give them to away fans?

11 - Why should we?

Off to sit in a darkened room while constantly repeating "Sandy, have some f*****g pride man" until my neck and temple veins stop pulsating!!!!

I've counted to a million and still feel angry when reading the ridiculous post from Sandy!!!

In no particular order here are the reasons why we should not give Sunderland an extra 1,000 tickets.

1 - Why should we?

2 - The League regulations stipulate 10% of capacity to away fans. 1,800 is approximately 15%.

3 - The concourses do not make for a comfortable experience for home fans if away fans have over half the stand.

4 - No one else, other than completely tin pot outfits like Wycombe and the Oystens at Blackpool, do such a thing.

5 - It is an advantage to the away team to have a large amount of fans. If it wasn't then teams would not generally be better at home.

6 - We have sold season tickets in the area that we would have to give them, so would need to move season ticket holders, causing at the very least dissatisfaction, and in many cases anger.

7 - We have only got about 400 unsold North Stand seats left, with most of those likely to go between now and Saturday. We don't need to do it.

8 - It is a false economy to P**s off your home fans for one off games by moving them. Short term gain, long term pain.

9 - Oxford United Football Club is not some sort of charity that should bend over and take it up the a**e from every visiting club that thinks of itself as a "big club"

10 - Halfway line in the North Stand are some of the best seats in the house. Why should we give them to away fans?

11 - Why should we?

Off to sit in a darkened room while constantly repeating "Sandy, have some f*****g pride man" until my neck and temple veins stop pulsating!!!!
Wow. Big club thing again (point 9 if you had lost concentration). I'm starting to think there are chips on shoulders or something. You keep mentioning the big club thing, not us. We are generally referred to as big club, sleeping giant, blah blah, in the press but our fans don't push that.

We could have another about potential mind you.

Wow. Big club thing again (point 9 if you had lost concentration). I'm starting to think there are chips on shoulders or something. You keep mentioning the big club thing, not us. We are generally referred to as big club, sleeping giant, blah blah, in the press but our fans don't push that.

I think that was more general than Sunderland specific, even if you did go all Billy Big boots and try to get extra tickets... ?

Do you know what?

Pretty much every away fan we have on here goes down a similar path. They start off being fairly friendly, maybe even a little bit complimentary about us. They find their feet and post a little more regularly. We're a fairly amenable bunch, so we tolerate them, maybe even exchange posts with them.

But then it happens. It always happens. They get a little bit chippy, sarcastic, and forget that they're a guest. And that's exactly what you've done.

When I want your advice on whether I can pay attention or not I'll ask for it. I don't come onto an Oxford United forum to be told to pay attention by a bloody Sunderland fan. I'll be f*****g glad when this Saturday's game is over and you disappear back to your northern wasteland.

I think that was more general than Sunderland specific, even if you did go all Billy Big boots and try to get extra tickets... ?
What is Billy Big Boots about asking for extra tickets? That has been requested for most away games. No matter what esteem you hold Sunderland in there us no questioning our away support. It is and always has been incredible, big club or not.

We sold more tickets for Woking in our conference days so let's drop this 'big club' 'sleeping giants' shite!

We know that for many people, disposable income has fallen significantly in recent years and therefore there are fans who are unable to go to every game. It therefore makes sense to give a commercial drive to a handful of games spread throughout the season rather than flooding fans with adverts for every game.

We had a push for Boxing Day and now Sunderland. I expect we'll do Wycombe, Charlton at Easter and Donny for our last home game (despite being mid table by then!!)

Sunderland really are no different to the likes of Bolton and Sheffield United, and less of a draw that Blackburn in recent times. A team with some history and a decent following, but no more. I'd even put them behind Portsmouth and Luton as far as stand out fixtures.

It will be great to get another 3 points, even sweeter to do it over Charlie and his smug mug, but otherwise it's just a game and the idea we should give them a single ticket extra is a joke.

Do you know what?

Pretty much every away fan we have on here goes down a similar path. They start off being fairly friendly, maybe even a little bit complimentary about us. They find their feet and post a little more regularly. We're a fairly amenable bunch, so we tolerate them, maybe even exchange posts with them.

But then it happens. It always happens. They get a little bit chippy, sarcastic, and forget that they're a guest. And that's exactly what you've done.

When I want your advice on whether I can pay attention or not I'll ask for it. I don't come onto an Oxford United forum to be told to pay attention by a bloody Sunderland fan. I'll be f*****g glad when this Saturday's game is over and you disappear back to your northern wasteland.
I will most likely disappear after this game but have appreciated being a guest and did not want to offend. Just got a bit irritated by the ' big club' jibes.

This is the Sunderland match thread so feel free to ignore if you only want a viewpoint from outside the northern wasteland.

Ffs bit of fun you precious little ( stop! Inside voice)

No idea why though, isn't that like saying "penalties don't count" when looking at goalscoring charts?

Because t doesn’t really matter who we play if we are at home on Boxing Day, the crowd will be higher than normal, similarly for a decent cup draw or a last game of the season looking for promotion. So I thought I’d look at what the biggest crowds were without factors like it being a cup game. Will post the full list (might have missed a few) tomorrow.

Manor Ground attendances : Oxford Utd v Sunderland

Mar 1971 - 7,735 D
Oct 1971 - 10,735 W
Oct 1972 - 8,881 W
Sept 1973 - 9,073 L
April 1975 - 13,004 W
Aug 1975 - 9,073 D

Nov 1988 - 6,353 L
Jan 1989 - 7,237 FA Cup W

Apr 1990 - 6,053 L
Dec 1991 - 6,140 W
Feb 1992 - 9,954 FA Cup L
Sept 1992 - 6,002 L
Jan 1994 - 5,877 L
Dec 1997 - 8,659 D
Feb 1999 - 9,044 D

Average - 8,251

Notable players that have played for both clubs:

Chris Maguire, John Byrne, David Rush, Martin Gray, Mark Angel, Marco Gabbiadini,
Andy Melville, Dean Whitehead, Craig Russell, Anton Rogan, Colin Todd, Phil Gray,
Billy Whitehurst and Jerome Sinclair.

Manor Ground attendances : Oxford Utd v Sunderland

Mar 1971 - 7,735 D
Oct 1971 - 10,735 W
Oct 1972 - 8,881 W
Sept 1973 - 9,073 L
April 1975 - 13,004 W
Aug 1975 - 9,073 D

Nov 1988 - 6,353 L
Jan 1989 - 7,237 FA Cup W

Apr 1990 - 6,053 L
Dec 1991 - 6,140 W
Feb 1992 - 9,954 FA Cup L
Sept 1992 - 6,002 L
Jan 1994 - 5,877 L
Dec 1997 - 8,659 D
Feb 1999 - 9,044 D

Average - 8,251

Notable players that have played for both clubs:

Chris Maguire, John Byrne, David Rush, Martin Gray, Mark Angel, Marco Gabbiadini,
Andy Melville, Dean Whitehead, Craig Russell, Anton Rogan, Colin Todd, Phil Gray,
Billy Whitehurst and Jerome Sinclair.
Remember Gabbiadini on loan for us. What a joke.

1 - Why should we?

11 - Why should we?

Yeah, but apart from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom