Sunderland Away

Witney Wag

First post so be kind

How many do you think we will take to Sunderland? I see that our old mate Charlie is wooing them with his natural charm and it would appear that he has taken a leaf out of DEs book on how to get the fans on your side. I was sent this from a mate who is a season ticket holder at Sunderland. He reckons that Charlie is a real hit at the club and the fans love him. Are we sure it’s the same Charlie who used to post on here, have we got him wrong?

Sat in the Fleur de Lis pub last night having a pre-match pint in the corner next to the gaming machine when in walked a blue suited businessman.

On closer inspection, I'm sure it was Charlie.

We took our drinks outside as the pub was roasting hot and there he was drinking with the lads.

Love this new regime, connecting with the fans after a 250+mile journey down on a Wednesday.

Blue suit?

How dare you?!

Anyway, did he buy everyone hot dogs?

First post so be kind

How many do you think we will take to Sunderland? I see that our old mate Charlie is wooing them with his natural charm and it would appear that he has taken a leaf out of DEs book on how to get the fans on your side. I was sent this from a mate who is a season ticket holder at Sunderland. He reckons that Charlie is a real hit at the club and the fans love him. Are we sure it’s the same Charlie who used to post on here, have we got him wrong?

Sat in the Fleur de Lis pub last night having a pre-match pint in the corner next to the gaming machine when in walked a blue suited businessman.

On closer inspection, I'm sure it was Charlie.

We took our drinks outside as the pub was roasting hot and there he was drinking with the lads.

Love this new regime, connecting with the fans after a 250+mile journey down on a Wednesday.
I wonder why he wasn't with the other half of the duo..

How are you all getting there?

Just tried trains again from Kings X going Friday and back Sunday and staying in Newcastle and it's silly money!

I’m staying at my mates. Driving up on Friday and coming back Monday. Family outing weekend away.

Just had a look at their forum.

Going to win 5 nil or 6 nil or 7nil. Going to P**s the league etc. The crowd won't be near 35k because we won't bring many either.

Astounding how quickly a chip can return to a clubs shoulders. They have just had two relegations in a row.

One defeat and we will see how hard their 'team' fight for them.

Now I believe we are going to do them. Always preferred Newcastle.

800-900, Which is superb considering it's around 9 hours altogether.
We had sold 800 before the game yesterday so the win would have boosted the numbers. I'm expecting between 1300 and 1600.

We had sold 800 before the game , so the win would have boosted the numbers. I'm expecting between 1300 and 1600.
Really? Hadn't looked at the numbers, Our fans our amazing! i expect atleast 1200 in that case,which is incredible for 500+ miles . Couldn't convince the boss to allow me another Saturday off as i've gone to the last 2 away games so i've got to miss it,If he thinks he can stop me from going Wycombe then he has another thing coming!

How are you all getting there?

Just tried trains again from Kings X going Friday and back Sunday and staying in Newcastle and it's silly money!
Car. Early start from Gloucestershire. See you all on the M1.

Very much looking forward to the match but hoping it not like my previous two visits - not particularly proud of what happened but it is quite a funny (true) story.
First visit was for the FA cup game at Roker in about 1989 ( I think) when we managed a 1-1 draw with Martin Foyle scoring. Anyway before the match I went out drinking with a couple of Oxford fans and my Sunderland supporting friend ( who's posted on here as Sinner in another thread) in Newcastle and then in Sunderland. Drank far too much - Sinner being a mad northern type insisted on being an oxford fan for the day - singing Oxford songs loudly outside Roker park then coming into the away end at Roker where their can only have been a few hundred at most Oxford fans. He proceeded to wind up the Sunderland fans across the fence which he seemed to find amusing but was warned by police. Anyway Martin Foyle equalised and I went into mad celebration running down terracing jumping up and down etc and the next thing I know I'm arrested taken down into city centre charged and released a couple of hours later to find Sinner and his mates waiting for me in the pub next to the police station - of course he thought it all very funny and we continued our drinking session ending up in South Shields night clubs if memory serves me right. My wife was not so amused as we had just had first child I then had to travel back up to court etc which again Sinner came along to and found very funny.

Anyway 1998 - yes the 7-0 I returned this time at SoL. Persuaded my wife that we were now grown up and sensible and nothing could possibly go wrong. Especially because by this time I had got to know Bob Murray (the then SAFC chairman) who had offered tickets for directors box - which I decided to turn down as wanted to go in Ox end with mates. Anyway same kind of scenario out before the match - not quite as much beer as before but singing Oxford songs in the pub crawl on the way to SoL, getting some strange stares from locals but all very good natured and happy. Into the stadium (Sinner has season ticket so doesn't come in OUFC end this time) - 3-0 down at half time. Have a beer and chat to various friends during half time - decide to have an extra one and a roll up as everyone goes back in - tap on shoulder - yes officer as I down my pint - I'm arresting you for being drunk in a sports ground - your joking! - No I'm not - frog marched towards cells - past Sunderland fans shouting stuff - one of whom is Franky loony who I met in 1989 asks me how I am? tell him I've felt a lot better - taken to duty sergeant - pull myself together a bit tell police I've only had two pints (in 1988 made mistake of saying only had 5 pints and they used this in evidence) - put into cell which gradually fill up with couple of Oxford fans and a few Sunderalnd - life starts to pass before my eyes imagine losing job and divorce etc - after match finishes some released then a bit of a commotion outside cell - copper comes in and asks me if I really know Bob Murray (find out later Sinner has been telling them they've 'bitten off more than they can chew he knows Bob Murray'- not sure this helped - I say yes - about 20 mins later comes back and releases me - Sinner outside waiting for me crying with laughter saying 'pinch me pinch me I must be dreaming!!'

Anyway we going to be in the Dun Cow next to the Sunderland Empire to start with on Saturday before probably moving on to Jameson's where apparently you need to be reasonably early. What could possibly go wrong!!!!

Back
Top Bottom