• Information about the new forum home page: here.

Transfer News Summer Transfer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ipswich proved last season that you can make the move up but without a doubt they had a terrific squad in League 1.

To let players like Leigh and Edwards leave they knew they had to improve. They were very clever with loan signings as well.

They had 6/7 players in League 1 who could easily play in the Championship,and they still improved on that,we don’t have that luxury.

We probably have 3 /4 players who would be wanted by Championship clubs.

Murphy, Brannagan, Moore and Goodrham. The others in our side could be good squad players but Des has a lot of work to do

Ipswich proved last season that you can make the move up but without a doubt they had a terrific squad in League 1.

To let players like Leigh and Edwards leave they knew they had to improve. They were very clever with loan signings as well.

They had 6/7 players in League 1 who could easily play in the Championship,and they still improved on that,we don’t have that luxury.

Murphy, Brannagan, Moore and Goodrham. The others in our side could be good squad players but Des has a lot of work to do
I think Rodrigues will continue to be a big player for us next season

According to the latest Dub podcast McGuane has Championship suitors which is why we triggered his extension.

Ipswich had a wage budget of 19m in League One.

I think we are underestimating the physicality and jump in quality in the championship. I trust Waldron and co will do a good job this summer, but we have a big challenge ahead in terms of squad quality and pure numbers.

Ipswich had a wage budget of 19m in League One.

I think we are underestimating the physicality and jump in quality in the championship. I trust Waldron and co will do a good job this summer, but we have a big challenge ahead in terms of squad quality and pure numbers.
Planet Football had Ipswich at £11.3m in the last season in the Championship.
They came second despite their salaries being 16th in the top salaries ( if the £11.3m is correct)

Yes we need to be up around the 10 to 12million mark to give ourselves a chance of staying up

Yes we need to be up around the 10 to 12million mark to give ourselves a chance of staying up
6 were under £10m last season and 3 under £8m.
I think that we need great recruitment and Des will hopefully show what a really good coach he is.
I would guess that our budget would be £7m to £8m?

6 were under £10m last season and 3 under £8m.
I think that we need great recruitment and Des will hopefully show what a really good coach he is.
I would guess that our budget would be £7m to £8m?
Was that in league 1 or the championship ?

I think we will need to hit the loan market hard. Granted, a lot of other clubs in a similar position to ours will be doing the same, but never the less, we need to bring in a couple of good ones. Des I think is a guy a lot of people wouldn't mind playing for, so that helps also.

As to the above link to Luke Berry, would be a solid depth/spot starter, but we would need to get a bit better quality. Would be a decent start to our transfer business mind.

I think we will need to hit the loan market hard. Granted, a lot of other clubs in a similar position to ours will be doing the same, but never the less, we need to bring in a couple of good ones. Des I think is a guy a lot of people wouldn't mind playing for, so that helps also.

As to the above link to Luke Berry, would be a solid depth/spot starter, but we would need to get a bit better quality. Would be a decent start to our transfer business mind.
Absolutely, some fans won't like it but it does give you access to a better standard of player than would join us permanently. Des has already been out visiting Premier League clubs to sell the club, I'm pretty sure this is the route we're going to go, along with good young talent and a few older heads.

We absolutely have to be aggressive while we have the lure of Championship football so that even if we fall short we put ourselves in a great position to bounce back up again, keeping the bulk of team together out of a sense of loyalty will almost certainly bring us back down in a barely better position that we were this season just gone. We have to act like a team who want to compete at this level and that involves being very hard nosed regarding the playing staff. I expect us to sign enough players for a whole new first 11 and some subs as well and spend some proper money.

Absolutely, some fans won't like it but it does give you access to a better standard of player than would join us permanently. Des has already been out visiting Premier League clubs to sell the club, I'm pretty sure this is the route we're going to go, along with good young talent and a few older heads.

We absolutely have to be aggressive while we have the lure of Championship football so that even if we fall short we put ourselves in a great position to bounce back up again, keeping the bulk of team together out of a sense of loyalty will almost certainly bring us back down in a barely better position that we were this season just gone. We have to act like a team who want to compete at this level and that involves being very hard nosed regarding the playing staff. I expect us to sign enough players for a whole new first 11 and some subs as well and spend some proper money.
I am hoping by this you mean you want us to sign more than 11 players, not that you think none of our current starting 11 is capable of holding their places in the championship next season?
Brannagan, Goodrham, Rodrigues, Moore and Murphy if he stays I think are all capable enough to make the step up and not just be squad players. A couple of those you could maybe make an argument against that but I personally still think all 5 would be good enough to start for us. I agree we need good recruitment of probably around 10 players, but i think saying we need a “new first 11” is pretty ridiculous (if that’s what you meant)

I am hoping by this you mean you want us to sign more than 11 players, not that you think none of our current starting 11 is capable of holding their places in the championship next season?
Brannagan, Goodrham, Rodrigues, Moore and Murphy if he stays I think are all capable enough to make the step up and not just be squad players. A couple of those you could maybe make an argument against that but I personally still think all 5 would be good enough to start for us. I agree we need good recruitment of probably around 10 players, but i think saying we need a “new first 11” is pretty ridiculous (if that’s what you meant)
It's the former, we clearly have some players who are capable of stepping up. There's a danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you make wholesale changes but we have to bring standards up through the squad.

I broadly agree with the players you mention but even that leaves us needing to replace over half the starting line up if we want to compete. We were also pretty unanimous in saying we had little strength in depth last season in terms of options off the bench. Going up a level won't help with this which is why we need some serious numbers in. If it turns out they push the current players up another level and they keep their place then all the better but competition is never a bad thing.

Although I do get what you are saying and don’t necessarily disagree, how will bringing in loan players put us in a better position to bounce back if we go back down to league 1? They’ll all return to their parent clubs and we will back to square one, needing to rebuild the squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom