• Information about the new forum home page: here.

Transfer News Summer Transfer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smyth and Rodrigues were also absolutely useless that day
Don’t disagree, it has to be a summer where we try and clear out a lot of the dead wood, that’s not saying that they aren’t appreciated but the players nowhere near the side the last few months or have been away from the club like your Findlay’s,Smyth,Thorniley and the like, we have to try and be utterly ruthless in some areas. Appreciate not everyone will agree but championship is another level and we have to move on players who won’t contribute, even if it is saying they are free to find other clubs for players under contract still.

Don’t disagree, it has to be a summer where we try and clear out a lot of the dead wood, that’s not saying that they aren’t appreciated but the players nowhere near the side the last few months or have been away from the club like your Findlay’s,Smyth,Thorniley and the like, we have to try and be utterly ruthless in some areas. Appreciate not everyone will agree but championship is another level and we have to move on players who won’t contribute, even if it is saying they are free to find other clubs for players under contract still.

We can say that, but they have a contract so it’s kind of meaningless. I suppose we can start to treat players under contract badly that we want to get rid of. That also has a knock-on impact both on our players (who see their friends and colleagues being hung out to dry), and on any other players, we want to sign. Word gets around pretty quickly in a small world like football.

Des made much of his pitch that Oxford now do things the right way-discussing the future with players before leaking to the press about who’s on the retained list for example.

I commend him for that.

Last edited:
Frankly that Coventry performance means nothing as Moore wasn’t fit and we see what happens when he’s not in our defence. If he was fit that day we probably don’t concede 6. Thorniley got found out that day, exactly why he should be nowhere near the side.
Bristol city away was it for me with Thorniley, Coventry just confirmed it.

From Div 3 to Div 2 Jim already signed Aldridge ready for it , Billy Hamilton , Dave Langan , John Trewick improvement without losing the special team spirit
Worth noting that Aldridge and Hamilton were both signed from mid table 3rd Division clubs (Aldridge had never played any higher) for fairly modest fees, Langan had been released by Birmingham, and Newcastle let Trewick go on a free transfer.

Hardwick, McDonald, Briggs, Shotton, Hebbard, Brock all went through the leagues with us.

That as well, but thorniley was done like a kipper on more than one occasion that day, imo we will need:

X2 keepers
X2 CB’s
X1 RB
X2 CM
X1 RW
X1 LW
X1 CAM
X2 ST

It sounds like a lot but it’s what we will need to survive seeing as we can have a squad of 29 I believe
All we need is Steve Evans as manager and we’d be about half way there well before the end of May!!

All we need is Steve Evans as manager and we’d be about half way there well before the end of May!!
Rather have Stevie Wonder in charge than Steve Evans 😂 but take your point. We do need a fair few changes though. I think the owners will be aggressive, they’ve funded losses in league 1, no reason they won’t do the same in the championship while we are sorting the stadium situation out. They will want us to be going into that stadium as a championship club, we will have a competitive budget.

Connolly and Campbell free agents, both fit what will be required up top for the championship.
Harris has been great this season, but can equally move along the line.
Goodwin signing has yet to prove he was good enough for Div 1, so the Championship will be a step further.
Hopefully he’ll follow the likes of Coburn, who’s managed it easily.

We have to be realistic it’s going to be a tough ask to stay in the Championship, and it’s likely we’ll have one of the smallest budgets if not smallest in the league. We will be favourites with the bookies to be relegated.

Initially that could work in our favour as other teams may well take us too lightly. To me it feels as if a good start will be really important in our survival, we will need to build a confidence and belief that we belong in the Championship, otherwise it could be a very long season.

Having said all of that, with a fairwind, a bit of luck and avoiding injuries to key players who knows? When I look at clubs like, Millwall, Preston, QPR, it gives me a some hope that we can survive and surprise a few people in this league.

I hope we are looking at beyond next season in terms of squad building, it’s not just about survival it’s about building a squad of young, hungry players that can compete in the Championship but can also help us come back up if we get relegated. I’d be looking at the better League 1 players who we think can make the step up, balanced with Premier League loans.

It’s going to be really interesting to see who we are able to attract to our football club this summer.

Worth noting that Aldridge and Hamilton were both signed from mid table 3rd Division clubs (Aldridge had never played any higher) for fairly modest fees, Langan had been released by Birmingham, and Newcastle let Trewick go on a free transfer.

Hardwick, McDonald, Briggs, Shotton, Hebbard, Brock all went through the leagues with us.
And Andy Thomas

We have to be realistic it’s going to be a tough ask to stay in the Championship, and it’s likely we’ll have one of the smallest budgets if not smallest in the league. We will be favourites with the bookies to be relegated.

Initially that could work in our favour as other teams may well take us too lightly. To me it feels as if a good start will be really important in our survival, we will need to build a confidence and belief that we belong in the Championship, otherwise it could be a very long season.

Having said all of that, with a fairwind, a bit of luck and avoiding injuries to key players who knows? When I look at clubs like, Millwall, Preston, QPR, it gives me a some hope that we can survive and surprise a few people in this league.

I hope we are looking at beyond next season in terms of squad building, it’s not just about survival it’s about building a squad of young, hungry players that can compete in the Championship but can also help us come back up if we get relegated. I’d be looking at the better League 1 players who we think can make the step up, balanced with Premier League loans.

It’s going to be really interesting to see who we are able to attract to our football club this summer.
Qpr are the wealthiest club in the championship with the owners worth more than 14 billion

And Andy Thomas
And Les Phillips. We signed him from Birmingham for a very small fee when we were in Division 3. He was a fringe player when we went up from Division 3 and then 2. But then surprised everyone by becoming an ever present in Division 1. One of those players (there are always 2-3) who surprise everyone and make the step in a promoted team.

And Les Phillips. We signed him from Birmingham for a very small fee when we were in Division 3. He was a fringe player when we went up from Division 3 and then 2. But then surprised everyone by becoming an ever present in Division 1. One of those players (there are always 2-3) who surprise everyone and make the step in a promoted team.
Signed from Birmingham transfer deadline day along with Aldridge. Les came from Birmingham for £5k and didn't break into the side properly until we were in the First division.

• React
Reactions: Ian
I'll leave the worrying about the exact money paid to each player to the finance people at the club, and just quietly celebrate if we re-sign Josh Murphy, because I enjoy watching him. (So basically, if they consider him to be worth the money need to keep him - if indeed there is such an amount - then I'll be unconditionally happy, and not obsess over whether I disagree with them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom