• ****Join the YF Fantasy EFL League: HERE. ****

Transfer News Summer 2024 Transfer Window Thread

I guess that the issue is that we have 3 left backs.
Greg Leigh came to Oxford yo play first team football and couod now be third choice. Will he want to stay and try and fight for his place ( when his style is less typically Des's), or want a move?
However one of those left backs is 33 and only on a one-year deal.

I think it'd be short-sighted to get rid of Leigh now when in all likelihood it'd mean that this time next year we'll likely be looking at Currie as our only left back.

If we can keep all three happy, we should absolutely try and keep all three so that we go into next year with Leigh and Currie competing for the spot.

However one of those left backs is 33 and only on a one-year deal.

I think it'd be short-sighted to get rid of Leigh now when in all likelihood it'd mean that this time next year we'll likely be looking at Currie as our only left back.

If we can keep all three happy, we should absolutely try and keep all three so that we go into next year with Leigh and Currie competing for the spot.

Agree with this, on top of Leigh being used in the left back position, I can also see him being used slightly further up the field as a sort of defensive winger or deep sitting wide player. His first 6 months with us were solid and he looks so aggressive in the mid section of the pitch going forwards along the left touch line;IMO that’s where he shines, slightly further up the field. We will need strength in options this season and I think having Greg around would be beneficial.

I’d be surprised that Cumming signed if he wasn’t given assurances that he’d be number one - or at least start the season with the shirt. His career is at the juncture where he needed a permanent move and to be first choice somewhere.
I don’t think anyone can, or should, expect assurances that they are guaranteed to start. The whole idea is that we are building a squad with depth, with competition in all positions.

What do we need?

Goalkeeper, right back, centre back, 3 wingers and a striker.

My preference would be one new permanent CB who's first team ready and can challenge Moore and Brown (who 'have the shirts' as far I'm concerned), and then another in on loan as high quality back up. Thornily hasn't looked up to speed since his return, unfortunately, and so I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. Hopefully Negru has a good season at Salford and comes back ready to challenge.

Wouldn't be surprised if two of the wingers and the RB were loans - there seems to be a shortage of the kind of wingers Des likes, and I'm not sure we've got the ££££ to be able to bring in the quality we need on a permanent. That said, we've worked the OOC market well so far, so who knows?

If Edwards can regain fitness and put his injury problems behind him, I'd be happy for him to stay, and I'm more confident of that now having seen how Goodwin, Browne, Murphy, were given time to get fit rather than being rushed back.

I think if the Al Hamadi loan comes off, that's us sorted for strikers unless someone else on @bigboyoufc's shortlist unexpectedly becomes available.

Keeper is a slightly tricky one. I was a bit surprised Cumming spoke so openly about someone else coming in to challenge for the number 1 shirt, and it'd feel odd to bring in a young loanee because that'd be a short-term option, could undermine Cumming's confidence, and would be a waste of a loan spot when Cumming has looked more than capable.

What do we need?

Goalkeeper, right back, centre back, 3 wingers and a striker.

View attachment 21234

Thorniley is left footed isn't he? Can he cover RCB ?

I would say we need

A GK in on loan to give competition to Cumming and needed cover, Eastwood can be third choice.

A new CB that can cover both RCB and LCB so ideally one comfortable with both feet and have slightly more pace than our current CB's. Would be an ideal one for a loan player from the premier league to come in.

New Right back possibly another position that could be filled up with a loanee to give Kioso cover and much needed competition.

New RW to give competition for Dale, a permanent or a loanee to fill the position.

New LW or possibly two depending on wether we give Edwards another contract.

A new striker.

Think we will have a decent squad for the season then.

I think Harris will play wide this coming season but with the obvious option of playing the main striker role if needed. Al Hamadi and Goodwin and maybe one more young striker on loan, along with Harris, will make up our four central striker options - in my opinion.

I think Harris will play wide this coming season but with the obvious option of playing the main striker role if needed. Al Hamadi and Goodwin and maybe one more young striker on loan, along with Harris, will make up our four central striker options - in my opinion.

Possibly Jamie Donley on loan from Spurs and Al hamdi on loan from Ipswich to be the two strikers coming in.

My preference would be one new permanent CB who's first team ready and can challenge Moore and Brown (who 'have the shirts' as far I'm concerned), and then another in on loan as high quality back up. Thornily hasn't looked up to speed since his return, unfortunately, and so I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. Hopefully Negru has a good season at Salford and comes back ready to challenge.

Wouldn't be surprised if two of the wingers and the RB were loans - there seems to be a shortage of the kind of wingers Des likes, and I'm not sure we've got the ££££ to be able to bring in the quality we need on a permanent. That said, we've worked the OOC market well so far, so who knows?

If Edwards can regain fitness and put his injury problems behind him, I'd be happy for him to stay, and I'm more confident of that now having seen how Goodwin, Browne, Murphy, were given time to get fit rather than being rushed back.

I think if the Al Hamadi loan comes off, that's us sorted for strikers unless someone else on @bigboyoufc's shortlist unexpectedly becomes available.

Keeper is a slightly tricky one. I was a bit surprised Cumming spoke so openly about someone else coming in to challenge for the number 1 shirt, and it'd feel odd to bring in a young loanee because that'd be a short-term option, could undermine Cumming's confidence, and would be a waste of a loan spot when Cumming has looked more than capable.
In terms of strikers most of the targets have moved to different clubs so I reckon it will just be al hamadi and a youngster on loan

Unless Harris plays on the wing, which is possible, isn't say Al Hamadi, Harris and Goodwin enough forwards if we stick to one up front?

Hopefully Goodwin should be fit for the coming season. Need a back up though.
Has Knightbridge gone on loan as he’d more likely be available at some point.
Our squad must be nearly complete although I’m hoping that there will be no outgoings of senior players at the last moment

Back
Top Bottom