Summer 2019 Outgoings

depends how he does for the rest of the season
That's the Catch-22 though isn't it? If he plays very well and scores goals then Watford will either decide to take him back and look at him for next season or (more likely) take him back to see if he can get a loan at a Championship club with a view to flogging him to get some of their money back. If last Saturday turns out to be a one-off (I don't think it will, I think he has looked good all along) and he turns into Jon Obika for the rest of the season we probably wouldn't want him anyway even if we could afford him!

The only way we will see him next season is if he does reasonably, is happy here, we stay up and Watford loan him to us again to see how he develops. Even in the slightly unlikely event that's what Watford wanted to do, I suspect it would only be up to Christmas .

He'll be 23 in September, and 3 days ago had scored 1 league goal in his career, Watford signed him over 3 years ago, they probably won't want to sell him this year, but I can't imagine they view him as someone with much chance of breaking into their squad

I assure you he won’t get a free transfer at 23.

That's the Catch-22 though isn't it? If he plays very well and scores goals then Watford will either decide to take him back and look at him for next season or (more likely) take him back to see if he can get a loan at a Championship club with a view to flogging him to get some of their money back. If last Saturday turns out to be a one-off (I don't think it will, I think he has looked good all along) and he turns into Jon Obika for the rest of the season we probably wouldn't want him anyway even if we could afford him!

The only way we will see him next season is if he does reasonably, is happy here, we stay up and Watford loan him to us again to see how he develops. Even in the slightly unlikely event that's what Watford wanted to do, I suspect it would only be up to Christmas .
agree with that. Robinson seems keen to try and get him for next season as long as he carries on how he's started. would like to see him with an experienced striker signed as well, then with Mackie , Smith?? and the youngsters we should be ok up top

Like most squads we will have a fair bit of churn this summer:

Will have to replace 13 players, plus McMahon.

Those that remain, especially in midfield look like a decent squad to build a team around...Brannagan, Baptiste, Sykes, Whyte, Henry, Mousinho. We will once more be left with Mackie as our only striker, plus only Dickie, Ruffels and Eastwood the defensive main stays.

View attachment 1179

Those that remain, especially in midfield look like a decent squad to build a team around...Brannagan, Baptiste, Sykes, Whyte, Henry, Mousinho. We will once more be left with Mackie as our only striker, plus only Dickie, Ruffels and Eastwood the defensive main stays.
... and Sam Long in defence, recently signed an extention to his contract

Given our performances so far this season we clearly do not have a squad that can challenge for a top 8 finish, unless of course you hold the view that a better manager would have achieved more. Of those that are out of contract I would only look at Browne, Sinclair and Graham as potential targets.

Given our performances so far this season we clearly do not have a squad that can challenge for a top 8 finish, unless of course you hold the view that a better manager would have achieved more. Of those that are out of contract I would only look at Browne, Sinclair and Graham as potential targets.
Fair enough but there have been occasions where teams have struggled one season and made the Top 8 the following year. Shrewsbury most recently.
On the basis that we will probably have a load of new players coming in plus hopefully some of the U23s coming through , recruitment of 4 to 5 players who will make a big difference is key

Give both Napa and smith a chance to, not sure about hall if we get Browne, Sinclair and Graham but not sure we can get any of them

View attachment 1179

I think of those remaining players, you could make a case for Eastwood, Brannagan, Whyte and Henry being lured elsewhere (inc McMahon), but I reckon only max two of them would leave.

In terms of Hanson, I think we need to use any remaining games if/when we're safe from relegation, plus pre-season, to figure out what his best position is. We've paid the money for him, so let's work out how we can get the best out of him. It could be that it turns out to be a good centre half, who knows?

With Smith, I reckon we'll give him and extension, and with Napa still young surely he'll get an extension too. With Hall, I'd love to keep him, but only as a luxury player on pay-as-you-play deal. Regarding Kashi, who knows? He isn't starting now, so I don't think he's that crucial that we should be paying a fee for him if we do turn his loan into a permanent. Nelson's gone, Garbutt was never the player we thought we were getting, and Kelleher with the centre-back departures of Raglan in January and Nels expected in the summer, he could maybe make himself a fourth-choice CB.

If Carruthers is available for cheaps then he's an option worth exploring, plus if Graham is available in the summer (which I'm sure he will be when you look at high-flying Wolves) then he's a player who would want to be here and knows how important it is to be at a club where the fans appreciate you. It would just be about finances, which, if we did lose a big name, the funds could be used for this guy. If Sinclair is available for a loan again, then we should look to get him in.

Looking around there are many players out of contract in league 1 this summer that would be good additions:

Curtis Tilt
Marc Bola
Niall Mason (have just spotted he is currently suspended for a sexual assault charge - no thanks!)
Joe Aribo
Michale Kelly (possibly)
Scott kashket

Looking around there are many players out of contract in league 1 this summer that would be good additions:

Curtis Tilt
Marc Bola
Niall Mason (have just spotted he is currently suspended for a sexual assault charge - no thanks!)
Joe Aribo
Michale Kelly (possibly)
Scott kashket
Kashket?

Yup, in the top 10 for touches in the box P90, can carry the ball, gets into good positions to both score and create. Lacks an end product but at 23 and out of contract could certainly be seen as a back up striker/winger who could improve with coaching.

Yup, in the top 10 for touches in the box P90, can carry the ball, gets into good positions to both score and create. Lacks an end product but at 23 and out of contract could certainly be seen as a back up striker/winger who could improve with coaching.
Value?

Back
Top Bottom