Summer 2019 Outgoings

Hanson has turned out to be a very odd signing. At the time, Derby supporters were pretty dismissive of him - saying he was a 5/10 midfielder most games. I think we've seen that - so suddenly he has become a right back who is easily bettered by Sam Long. I have to say that I'm not quite sure what Hanson's strengths are supposed to be - and for a player we apparently paid a lot of money for and signed up for four years (!!!) that's not a good thing. He is 23 - let's hope there is still some development potential there, because he is far less than the finished article as it stands.
He doesn’t seem to have the positioning to be a full back but is very feisty in the tackle, I can see him being a good replacement for Mous eventually

Carruthers is a bit of an odd one. A couple of weeks ago I would have said him coming back here next season was nailed on but Sykes has now basically overtaken him and he’s not getting in the team. I know Sykes is doing well but I wonder if there’s more to it? Maybe Carruthers recovery from injury hasn’t gone as well as reported..? Just a guess. As it stands, he’s not done enough to consider re-signing him.

As for Kelleher, as others have said, it’s hard to judge a player we haven’t seen much of! But by all accounts he’s doing more than ok at Macc. If we release him, I get the feeling it could end up being one of those situations where we let him go for nothing and then Macc sell him to a championship club for decent money in 12 months time leaving us wondering why we let that happen. All depends if Robinson rates him or thinks he can get better I suppose..

Kelleher we have option of an extra year on.

Baptiste is out for 9-10 months with his injury I believe so won't be fit until atleast January.

Wasn't Baptiste injured at the start of January?
If that's the case wouldn't he be expected to be back around October time?

It was a "conservative" estimate of 8 to 10 months from early Jan. So I guess there is a small chance he couldn't even be back for start of season.

I’d be very surprised to see him back before Xmas. As much a like the lad, and his obvious talent. We don’t need to rush back our prized asset.

He’s a future Ngolo Kante. Will go for mega bucks in time.

I agree completely that Hanson was a panic buy but so was Kelleher, who was transferred after we lost out on Lindsay. So, getting back to the thread, next season our team might be developed around a core of a couple of panic buys who supporters express doubts about. What positions will we be looking to recruit to? The failed loans this year for Smith, Garbutt and Carruthers have not cleared the water. Interesting times.

It was a "conservative" estimate of 8 to 10 months from early Jan. So I guess there is a small chance he couldn't even be back for start of season.
He won't be back for start of the season. Even if he's recovered by August he's then got to get to match sharpness. Probably looking at late September at the earliest.

Robinson has said that Hanson was not his signing.

Which I’ve always thought very odd, it begs the questions ‘Who did sign Hanson? Tiger? Recruitment team?

I’ve nothing against the player, seems steady enough at fullback or midfield and definitely likes a tackle, but certainly not exceptional at this level.

I’ve nothing against the player, seems steady enough at fullback or midfield and definitely likes a tackle, but certainly not exceptional at this level.

I don't think he's that bad, but the point is that he is ours for another three and a bit years and has yet to show exactly what his place will be in that time. Four years is a HUGE contract at this level.

I don't think he's that bad, but the point is that he is ours for another three and a bit years and has yet to show exactly what his place will be in that time. Four years is a HUGE contract at this level.
And almost certainly quite an expensive one.

Controversial opinion maybe, but I wouldn't cry if Mous left. Whilst he has definitely been better in the DM role, I think there are better in the league. For a supposed Leader he sure does breed uncertainty. I'd be happy to shop around for a better version.

I think there's a good chance on Graham, Carruthers, Kashi and Hall to stay, the rest will be either too expensive (Browne) or not good enough (Garbutt). If Sinclair continues to bang, then I'd be happy for the clubs to pull out the stops to keep him, whether we can or not will be determined by how deep Thohirs pockets are!

Controversial opinion maybe, but I wouldn't cry if Mous left. Whilst he has definitely been better in the DM role, I think there are better in the league. For a supposed Leader he sure does breed uncertainty. I'd be happy to shop around for a better version.

I think there's a good chance on Graham, Carruthers, Kashi and Hall to stay, the rest will be either too expensive (Browne) or not good enough (Garbutt). If Sinclair continues to bang, then I'd be happy for the clubs to pull out the stops to keep him, whether we can or not will be determined by how deep Thohirs pockets are!
Hall would have to be on a pay as you play

I think that Mackie is on pay as you play.
I'd like to see us become able to pay him as little as possible next season. Assuming that Robinson is still manager and is still wedded to 1-up-top, we should try to retain Sinclair and Jonte Smith, and add 2 more players who can handle that role.
After a truly dreadful start Mackie has done an adequate job for us in a decent old pro sort of way, but he is very limited, gives away frustrating free-kicks, and doesn't score goals.

If Sinclair continues to bang, then I'd be happy for the clubs to pull out the stops to keep him, whether we can or not will be determined by how deep Thohirs pockets are!

Jerome Sinclair, Watford’s £4m man and age-group England international, to stay at Oxford..?

Aye - and we’ll probably find Lord Lucan hiding in Thohir’s deep deep pockets too.

Jerome Sinclair, Watford’s £4m man and age-group England international, to stay at Oxford..?

Aye - and we’ll probably find Lord Lucan hiding in Thohir’s deep deep pockets too.
He'll be 23 in September, and 3 days ago had scored 1 league goal in his career, Watford signed him over 3 years ago, they probably won't want to sell him this year, but I can't imagine they view him as someone with much chance of breaking into their squad

Back
Top Bottom