Summer 2018 Official Transfer Thread ****

After all the talk of talking to top players and needing two, really disappointing nothing has materialised.

It didn’t have to be done today. We were never in for a loan as we already have the maximum allowed in a match day squad. I am sure we will still try to get a free agent or two done.

Today was always going to be a frustrating day, watching a lot of the other clubs in the league bringing in reinforcements, while our hands are tied in the loan department.

Theres been some stunning striker signings in our league. Joe Mason at Pompey, Jamie Ward at Charlton, and Zach Clough at Rochdale.

I think well regret it to be honest.

Theres been some stunning striker signings in our league. Joe Mason at Pompey, Jamie Ward at Charlton, and Zach Clough at Rochdale.

I think well regret it to be honest.
Stunning really.
So do you reckon they will score what 25 goals based on stunning?

I don't think another loan was really practical. I'm also not convinced about signing free agents at this time of year either though, which IMO leaves us a couple of players short - arguably three (LB - or a utility defender, striker, defensive midfielder).
There's leaving your transfer business late (despite what was said!) and there's this ....

Ok so we didnt get our target BUT who else feels Baptiste can probably step up to be THAT midfielder? The back heel drag back for our first goal v Newport was Ronaldo like, as was his goal. Hasnt looked out of place and Garbutt had a good game too. Suppose we will see today as I assume Baptiste starts - if he plays well then maybe a regular, with Henry playing further up as a true 10 and behind the lone striker . It is a forward we are short of (grom what I have seen), especially if we get injuries, as we have looked toothless when the midfield is suffocated. Either Smith or Beeks need to step up and start scoring, or at least get into space, which isnt happening. Way too static especially Obika. Think we have enough in the squad to be comfortably top half without having singed anyone and youngsters developing quickly.

Ok so we didnt get our target BUT who else feels Baptiste can probably step up to be THAT midfielder? The back heel drag back for our first goal v Newport was Ronaldo like, as was his goal. Hasnt looked out of place and Garbutt had a good game too. Suppose we will see today as I assume Baptiste starts - if he plays well then maybe a regular, with Henry playing further up as a true 10 and behind the lone striker . It is a forward we are short of (grom what I have seen), especially if we get injuries, as we have looked toothless when the midfield is suffocated. Either Smith or Beeks need to step up and start scoring, or at least get into space, which isnt happening. Way too static especially Obika. Think we have enough in the squad to be comfortably top half without having singed anyone and youngsters developing quickly.

I'd suggest Baptiste can do it considering his performances so far. He will have dips in form but there is obviously real potential there.

I'd suggest Baptiste can do it considering his performances so far. He will have dips in form but there is obviously real potential there.

I would never have called his progress so far at the start of pre-season.

Even after the first couple of league games, I'd assumed he'd end up being farmed out on loan to the Conference!

One we missed out on. I reckon he would’ve made the difference for us if we’d been successful in getting him. He reminds me of a more mobile Andy Carroll, just what we were looking for in the lone striker role. Holds the ball up, wins headers and bullies defenders. Sounds like the Gillingham chairman wanted silly money for him (his prerogative) but I can’t help wondering if we’d prioritised this position whether we could have got him or somebody of a similar standard, with similar experience at the right age.

://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/17227325.gillingham-danger-man-tom-eaves-was-an-oxford-united-target-karl-robinson/

One we missed out on. I reckon he would’ve made the difference for us if we’d been successful in getting him. He reminds me of a more mobile Andy Carroll, just what we were looking for in the lone striker role. Holds the ball up, wins headers and bullies defenders. Sounds like the Gillingham chairman wanted silly money for him (his prerogative) but I can’t help wondering if we’d prioritised this position whether we could have got him or somebody of a similar standard, with similar experience at the right age.

://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/17227325.gillingham-danger-man-tom-eaves-was-an-oxford-united-target-karl-robinson/
Aye, instead we signed a load of attacking midfielders. We have so many that Henry has to play further back

Unrealistic target I think, scored over 20 in all competitions last season he would of been worth a fair few million as Roofe scored 18 in L2 - 26 goals all together & got 3 million

Back
Top Bottom