Summer 2018 Official Transfer Thread ****

No, I think we’ve got deals on a deal sheet submitted. At least one more possible tonight. Unless the club tweets ‘that’s it’ we have until 7 to get the deal done.
Ha ha like the one they just tweeted. That’s it.

I absolutely love the guy who posted on the oxmail comments. Something along the lines of ‘so Real Madrid didn’t come in for Obika then’.

Carruthers only expected to be out for two months rather than three as it’s a tear rather than a rupture.

KR confirms that we’re looking at a sixth loan to help cover this.

I want another loan signing before the end of the month, and Curtis Nelson to sign atleast a 2 yr contract. Wishful thinking maybe.

I think overall it's been a good window.

Retaining Eastwood and Nelson is obviously massive (would be even better if that latter would sign an extended contract too). It was a shame to lose Ledson, but it was always to be expected.

On the the face of it, McMahon and Garbutt are promising signings (trying to remove Saturday's showing from my memory), and Norman seems like a very good prospect as backup. Some more competition/cover at left back wouldn't have been a bad thing, though.

I'm glad that we signed Hanson, and I think having him in the team will free up Brannagan a lot more, which will be a big positive. Derby fans seem to suggest he needs to find a position and play there regularly, which he should get a chance to here. That said, I still think we're lacking a little bit in midfield. If Brannagan was to pick up an injury, there's no one in there that can drive forward, so it'd be good if we could pick up a free agent (what happened to Rohan Ince??).

The three behind the striker has obviously been strengthened with the arrival of Holmes. He genuinely is one of the best players in the league, so I'm very excited to see him play. Hopefully Hall can stay fit this season, because a three of Hall, Henry and Holmes will be very strong at this level, and hopefully exciting to watch. I think the only thing we may be lacking as absolute raw pace - someone that can run in behind full backs or beat them on the outside.

I still feel we are a bit short up front. I don't want to jump on the Obika bashing bandwagon, but he really is a frustrating player to watch, and I'm also yet to be convinced that he'll stay fit. Smith looks to have something about him, but I think it's a bit much to put all of our hopes on him. He's young and still inexperienced, and will no doubt take time to find his rhythm. Therefore, with Carruthers now out for a few months, I'd like to see us dip into the loan market again to find a bit more of an experienced striker.

So all in all, as I say, it's been a good window. I do think a proven league 1 striker would have made it a great window, but maybe I'm just being greedy! I think we've got a solid first 11 at League 1 level. Now I just hope we can put last week's debacle behind us with a win tomorrow, and really get the season started.

Bring on the play-offs (or autos, I'm not fussy).

Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Did Robinson say that he had a loan player all lined up but it had been put on hold because of the goalkeeper situation? Or did I imagine it al!!:(

Nothing mentioned on RO 6:30 bulletin. All that was mentioned was the big cup game coming up. I suppose if we’re targeting out of contract players then tonight’s deadline is irrelevant.

Nothing mentioned on RO 6:30 bulletin. All that was mentioned was the big cup game coming up. I suppose if we’re targeting out of contract players then tonight’s deadline is irrelevant.

Agreed - unattached players can still be signed up until January provided they did not have a club
when the transfer window closed on August 9th.

Just longer to get them match fit.

Yeah, any player signed in September who hasn’t had a club all summer, with no ore season at all is going to miles away away from match ready.

Plus you have to question why no one else has been willing to take a punt on them over all those months.

How many free agent signings during a season (not summer ones) come off?

Conor Washington released by QPR - looks like he'd be a decent signing for us. Sheff Utd meant to be interested however

EDIT - Now confirmed at Sheffield

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom