Summer 2018 Official Transfer Thread ****

So you freely admit it has been a success but advocate moving away from it.....

I think it's naive to expect the levels of success we had to be a given going forward.

I advocate nothing.

Simple enough?

I think it's naive to expect the levels of success we had to be a given going forward.

I advocate nothing.

Simple enough?
It’s not naive to expect a certain level of success. It doesn’t change overnight but I accept it may get harder.

OUFC have parleyed Rothwell, Lundstram and Lego, who we paid very little for, into over £2 million worth of transfew fees. That is the model working right there. We won't get every signing right though.

Brannagan is hopefully the next player in that model. Young, talented, keen for playing time. A win, win for both club and player.

I’m afraid I have to agree with what others have said about the signing of Carruthers. As good a player as he is there is an element of ‘meh’ about him coming here. The chances are,come January, we’ll hear a similar interview as his Oxford Mail one with a photo of him holding a Sunderland/Barnsley/Blackburn shirt. I hope I’m wrong but we’ve seen it too many times before.

Once before?

I’m afraid I have to agree with what others have said about the signing of Carruthers. As good a player as he is there is an element of ‘meh’ about him coming here. The chances are,come January, we’ll hear a similar interview as his Oxford Mail one with a photo of him holding a Sunderland/Barnsley/Blackburn shirt. I hope I’m wrong but we’ve seen it too many times before.
Many times?

OK my memory isn't great but I can remember Baldock and Payne. Who are all of the many others?

You could also suggest that when Baldock left we got in JJ Kenny, got to Wembley and were promoted. So that surely was a big success?

We have got in a very good player who appears to get on very well with KR. Surely that is a good thing. If he does really well and Sheffield United can sell him for a lot of money yes there is a risk. But the good thing for that will be that he will have been here and done very well and hopefully got us near the top.

couldn't agree more, never have done and never will like the loan system.
2 Decent players leave the building (no loans there then) and once again we are not in control of parts of our squad due to loans that presumably can be recalled .
Players come here and talk the usual, great club etc but rarely hang around to progress with us, would much prefer a squad of our own players that can progress together with the odd tweak each season rather than overhaul season after season.

I wonder if KR is having to box clever with finances. But why would Tiger talk about 8 or so players coming in soon, if we are having to resort to the loan market straight away, before bringing in permanent players in, who would surely take a far more longer term view in their outlook.
Many times?

OK my memory isn't great but I can remember Baldock and Payne. Who are all of the many others?

You could also suggest that when Baldock left we got in JJ Kenny, got to Wembley and were promoted. So that surely was a big success?

We have got in a very good player who appears to get on very well with KR. Surely that is a good thing. If he does really well and Sheffield United can sell him for a lot of money yes there is a risk. But the good thing for that will be that he will have been here and done very well and hopefully got us near the top.

But having played only 9 games in 2 seasons, which possibly is why they couldn't sell him, there is a clearly the injury risk.
As it stands, we are off to Ireland in a couple of weeks, with less than a thread bare squad, when KR wanted his business done early, having met so many agents.
There are either issues bringing in the talked of 8 or so players needed, or coincidentally, all have similar reasons why there are delays.

I imagine fans of every club in this division (except maybe Peterborough and Plymouth) are having the same frustration regarding incoming transfers so far.

The only thing I can see from this is that we're willing to be patient and not pay over the odds just so we can bring a player in a week earlier ahead of other teams. We certainly can't have that attitude with 5-6 different targets we're looking at, word gets around between agents and that becomes the norm for us for the next few windows.

According to Tiger, offers have been tabled. Maybe players are looking between different clubs. And the players that have come in so far have talked about the new training ground and plans for the club as ambitious.

In regards to Samir, Sheffield United wanted to sell. They could have waited all summer for an offer without success, and still managed to find him an acceptable loan on the last day of the window if everything fell through. So perhaps we have a clause in there somewhere. If he fits in well the first half of the season, we're prepared to pay the X amount that's required. And if Samir enjoys himself playing for us (and promotion is on the cards), he'll be more amicable in terms of wage demands.

I am really trying not to moan at the moaners but I do wonder what some people expect.

Tiger and KR have committed to developing an under 23's squad to help supplement the first team. We have seen Chrissy Allen (who some wanted as our manager) take up the post with Dan Harris doing great work with the academy. We have brought in some young players for next to nothing but some question why we are wasting our time with untested kids.

We are then looking at bringing in several first teamers, and KR has spoken about deals being started early. Samir Carruthers looks to be an example of someone we have identified early and have taken the time to get the right deal for us. This may well allow us to put our resources into other deals that will bring players in on perminent contracts, or gives us a chance to 'try before we buy' as KR did before taking Samir at MK Dons.

Only a year ago we were stung buy bringing in 'old crocks' as some suggested, and spent a lot of paying out contracts. So the idea that long term contracts arethe only way to bring players in is a little bizarre. A loan may not be perfect, but far from a reason to panic or proof that we are abandoning our 'model'.

Progress has been slower than some would have hoped for, but all indications appear to show that we are moving in the right direction. Sunderland, with their 20,00 season tickets, Satori's millions and cash to burn, have just brought in a defender on a free transfer from an unknown Turkish second division team! Maybe things are not so bad here after all!!

I wonder if KR is having to box clever with finances. But why would Tiger talk about 8 or so players coming in soon, if we are having to resort to the loan market straight away, before bringing in permanent players in, who would surely take a far more longer term view in their outlook.

But having played only 9 games in 2 seasons, which possibly is why they couldn't sell him, there is a clearly the injury risk.
As it stands, we are off to Ireland in a couple of weeks, with less than a thread bare squad, when KR wanted his business done early, having met so many agents.
There are either issues bringing in the talked of 8 or so players needed, or coincidentally, all have similar reasons why there are delays.

Wiki shows that he played 61 times in the last 2 seasons, hardly a crock?!

couldn't agree more, never have done and never will like the loan system.
2 Decent players leave the building (no loans there then) and once again we are not in control of parts of our squad due to loans that presumably can be recalled .
Players come here and talk the usual, great club etc but rarely hang around to progress with us, would much prefer a squad of our own players that can progress together with the odd tweak each season rather than overhaul season after season.

Many times?

Yup because that’s how transfers work, loan first means we obviously couldn’t buy anyone [emoji85]. I bet ur one who moans when we sign a left back as a striker is priority. Transfers don’t happen in order of importance or value, u get the deals done when u can. Signing Samir on loan proves nothing other than we have just signed a very good attacking midfielder on loan

This is not the player he was talking about ....

Now this is interesting. I, like many Oxford fans, assumed it was Samir or Todd Kane being talked about. Having thought about it, it can’t be Kane they are on about either. He is out of contract at the end of the coming season and will be 25, so unless Chelsea are planning on offering a new deal soon (which is unlikely) then he won’t have any value to them next summer whatever he does here.
I’d imagine the player in question is surplus to requirements at their current club, has a couple of years left on their contract but whose value isn’t that high at the moment. One good season with us however could see that change, so they loan him out and get more money for him next summer. We however would rather sign them on a permanent deal so that we reap the benefits. So who could that be?

Step forward Mr. Graham ?

When are the players back in training?? If it’s the 01st July then I can see 3-4 players coming in next week

Now this is interesting. I, like many Oxford fans, assumed it was Samir or Todd Kane being talked about. Having thought about it, it can’t be Kane they are on about either. He is out of contract at the end of the coming season and will be 25, so unless Chelsea are planning on offering a new deal soon (which is unlikely) then he won’t have any value to them next summer whatever he does here.
I’d imagine the player in question is surplus to requirements at their current club, has a couple of years left on their contract but whose value isn’t that high at the moment. One good season with us however could see that change, so they loan him out and get more money for him next summer. We however would rather sign them on a permanent deal so that we reap the benefits. So who could that be?

Step forward Mr. Graham ?
A dreamer of beautiful dreams.

When are the players back in training?? If it’s the 01st July then I can see 3-4 players coming in next week
The players are going out to Ireland next Monday. Karl said they are going out a week early to train when preseason was announced so they will be going out on the 2nd.

I suspect players will start going in at the end of next week for there inital assesments on there fitness.

Payne is being positioned on this forum as a failure in terms of transfer policy. I don't buy that. Without his goals and assists we would have been relegated.
He certainly helped to keep us up. Dragged himself off the touchline to get back into the fray. If he becomes available then try to sign him up. Quality at our level.

Yup because that’s how transfers work, loan first means we obviously couldn’t buy anyone [emoji85]. I bet ur one who moans when we sign a left back as a striker is priority. Transfers don’t happen in order of importance or value, u get the deals done when u can. Signing Samir on loan proves nothing other than we have just signed a very good attacking midfielder on loan
With a bit of coaching he could be the next Franz Beckenbauer.

Many times?

Ok, maybe I’m expecting too much but it pissed me off the first time it happened and then when it happened again, for me, it was too much. I’d just like to see a non-recall clause added for a player who is going to be a key player for us this season, so much so that KR said he was the player he wanted to make his priority. Who knows? Hopefully that is the case.

Anyway, we’ve all got differing views on the loan system. I have to say I’m not a fan of it but accept it seems to be the modern way for lower league clubs to significantly (albeit temporarily) improve their squads

Back
Top Bottom