Summer 2018 Official Transfer Thread ****

Just hope we can keep hold of Nelson, although if Obika goes I won’t be to worried

Get a sense of realism guys. We cannot afford the player wages we need to help us progress to the next level, so the loan player model is our ONLY option to progress. If these loan players help us get there, great. But equally if they can use OUFC to kickstart their stagnating career, then fair play and good luck to them. IF the loan model works and we got promoted then we would have far more players knocking on our door and we'd have a far healthier budget to spend in wages. I just wish some of the oufc supporters he would grasp (and support) the situation we are in.

Get a sense of realism guys. We cannot afford the player wages we need to help us progress to the next level, so the loan player model is our ONLY option to progress. If these loan players help us get there, great. But equally if they can use OUFC to kickstart their stagnating career, then fair play and good luck to them. IF the loan model works and we got promoted then we would have far more players knocking on our door and we'd have a far healthier budget to spend in wages. I just wish some of the oufc supporters he would grasp (and support) the situation we are in.

But we can only play 5 loans at any given time, and if they do well for us all well and good but if they’re doing well before the January transfer window them what’s to stop greasy bollock clubs offering more and take them from us and we have to start all over again which would hinder our progress. We’ve lost 2 top quality players so far this close season, yes we may have a bit of compo but I think that goes to slippery. So yes we need permanent players and some loans but we can’t rely on loans.

You get the best players you can, in whatever way you can afford.

I wish people would stop talking about 'the model' like it was some magical, radical, halcyon thing. Like it wasn't something that most (if not all) lower league teams tried to do to some degree.

Difference was it all came together for us for a while. Great scouting: Great players: Great coaching: Decent amount of luck.

Anyone who thinks it was something we could coast up the divisions with, with nary a glitch, needs to wake up.

Agreed, but that's the risk we have to take. I appreciate we could lose a quality player like Payne again, and i know its frustrating, but at the same time we could poach the next shining star from a club in a lower league. It's a dog eat dig world. Let's have trust that KR gets the balance between loan, perm and youth just right! COYY

Think ur getting a bit ahead of your self baz. We have signed 1 loan player, not 5/6. And he’s a very decent quality. He might go back in jan, it might also be the case the we’ve had assurance that he won’t, or we’ve agreed a future fee. Some of the best players we have had in recent years have come in on loan. Roofe, graham, baldock.

Also, if he helps us to the top of the league, and then gets recalled, we're in a better position to ask other clubs for their talent on loan in the second half of the season.

I wish people would stop talking about 'the model' like it was some magical, radical, halcyon thing. Like it wasn't something that most (if not all) lower league teams tried to do to some degree.

Difference was it all came together for us for a while. Great scouting: Great player

Anyone who thinks it was something we could coast up the divisions with, with nary a glitch, needs to wake up.
Every company needs a business model. The one you're advocating worked wonders for Bury, last season.

Also, if he helps us to the top of the league, and then gets recalled, we're in a better position to ask other clubs for their talent on loan in the second half of the season.
From the tone of this thread it seems OUFC is becoming no more than a feeder club..grooming players for the next step up.... with our limited resources perhaps thats all we can expect. Who was the last player to commit long term? I can only think of Jake Wright. I suppose thats the way of the football world at present, mores the pity.

Great signing although I think it’ll be a dejavu moment again a la Payne come January.

We’ll get a much better feel of where things are going based on our permanent signings (of which I hope they start to trickle in soon).

One way or another (as I’ve said on another thread) there will be answers to a lot of questions as there’s a number of positions we need to fill.

I trust those responsible with recruiting players and will wait to see how they are supported in that quest. Neither KR or SD are unknown quantities and it’s possible to look at all of their previous transfer business.

Our owner (in recent months) has come up trumps with Brannigan and Dickie so I’ll leave it a little longer while I’m distracted by the World Cup.

It’s going to be interesting. Keeping Nelson to partner Dickie with Eastwood behind will certainly ensure some good foundations.

From the tone of this thread it seems OUFC is becoming no more than a feeder club..grooming players for the next step up.... with our limited resources perhaps thats all we can expect. Who was the last player to commit long term? I can only think of Jake Wright. I suppose thats the way of the football world at present, mores the pity.

I remember people moaning about that when we were potentially going to be a feeder club for Monaco under the Satori bid lol.

Hold on a minute, who says we haven’t got the funding, we have a new owner and supposedly a billionaire potential investor on the horizon, we are all making judgements but in fact could be the new Man City Of League 1 in two months time, let’s see what happens....

Hold on a minute, who says we haven’t got the funding, we have a new owner and supposedly a billionaire potential investor on the horizon, we are all making judgements but in fact could be the new Man City Of League 1 in two months time, let’s see what happens....
I hope not!

Difference was it all came together for us for a while. Great scouting: Great players: Great coaching: Decent amount of luck.

Short sighted view.

The “model” offers sustainability. We are not a premiership team, we are a team in size that we should be aiming for Championship football. If the model allows us to continually strive for that then I am supportive. I would rather this than spunking a load of cash on journeyman pros who offer nothing but a drain on our wage budget for average players, as we saw last season. Stick with it I say.

Think ur getting a bit ahead of your self baz. We have signed 1 loan player, not 5/6. And he’s a very decent quality. He might go back in jan, it might also be the case the we’ve had assurance that he won’t, or we’ve agreed a future fee. Some of the best players we have had in recent years have come in on loan. Roofe, graham, baldock.

Not getting ahead Dave I believe if we can have permanents to achieve our goal then that would be better than having a team containing 5 land who Maybe gone in Jan then we have to start all over again. Yes Roofe was aloan when we acquired as permanent at the end of the season, Grah although he is good he was only hear for a short time and Baldoxk was quality just hoped when he joined us for another season his manager wouldn’t recall him, bloody muppet he was his manager, Ive forgot who?

Short sighted view.

The “model” offers sustainability. We are not a premiership team, we are a team in size that we should be aiming for Championship football. If the model allows us to continually strive for that then I am supportive. I would rather this than spunking a load of cash on journeyman pros who offer nothing but a drain on our wage budget for average players, as we saw last season. Stick with it I say.

There's no middle ground then?

I don't recall suggesting 'the model' be abandoned in any case.

There's no middle ground then?

I don't recall suggesting 'the model' be abandoned in any case.
Your post suggested no middle ground, in actual fact read quite dammingly of it. It is the best way to generate income at our level.

Every company needs a business model. The one you're advocating worked wonders for Bury, last season.

Care to explain to me what model it is that I'm advocating?

Your post suggested no middle ground, in actual fact read quite dammingly of it. It is the best way to generate income at our level.

What? It suggested no such thing!

I pointed out that 'the model' probably isn't as unique or infallible as some think, and that the great success we had with it should perhaps be considered extraordinary.

Last edited:
What? It suggested no such thing!

I pointed out that 'the model' probably isn't as unique or infallible as some think, and that the great success we had with it should perhaps be considered extraordinary.
So you freely admit it has been a success but advocate moving away from it.....

Back
Top Bottom