Summer 2018 Official Transfer Thread ****

Great signing at this level.

Interesting how many transfers went through today across the football league. I think we might start seeing more players coming in very soon.

That source isn't the most reliable I'd suggest! Not to say that we won't sign him but I doubt the person behind this has any idea!

Well KR did say he loves his wingers....or maybe we misinterpreted what he meant and he was just professing his likeing for a KFC type snack. Would be elated but can't see it happening.....want KFC now ?

This 'source' is claiming Jordan Graham is set to return. Cannot see it myself, especially with Wolves extending his contract. Surely they will want him to be playing regularly at Championship level?

IF it did happen, even on loan, I think it is quite possibly the best signing we could hope for (within reason..).

Ignoring the source. There would be a logic in him joining on loan as he hardly played last season and so he needs to play this season. Plus, even though things have changed he enjoyed his time here.

Much as having excellent players join us on (hopefully!) season long loans is exciting, I really think the most important signings for the long term future are going to be the perhaps less well known ones that join us permanently.

A decent mix of both would be great. Even Blackburn who could easily afford players took decent ones on loan as well, the young lad from Newcastle scored a hat full. I certainly wouldn’t be upset if we had 3-4 on loan of the quality of Samir. As like with roofe, sometimes a decent loan spell can actually convince the player to return

Well I agree - in the short term. As we found with Payne last season a loan player is a flimsy peg upon which to hang your hat. They are generally not as committed to the club as a permanent signing and are liable to be whipped out from under you half way through the season. And there is little continuity from season to season when four or five of your (hopefully) better players leave every time, with no financial reward. You are right of course in that you might be able to sign them up permanently, but that is very much the exception rather than the rule.
So yes, of course - getting in players you might not be able to attract or afford on loans is an excellent way to bolster to the team, but I still say that for stability and continuity, your permanent signings are the ones that are most important and are the ones you have to build the team around.

Well I agree - in the short term. As we found with Payne last season a loan player is a flimsy peg upon which to hang your hat. They are generally not as committed to the club as a permanent signing and are liable to be whipped out from under you half way through the season. And there is little continuity from season to season when four or five of your (hopefully) better players leave every time, with no financial reward. You are right of course in that you might be able to sign them up permanently, but that is very much the exception rather than the rule.
So yes, of course - getting in players you might not be able to attract or afford on loans is an excellent way to bolster to the team, but I still say that for stability and continuity, your permanent signings are the ones that are most important and are the ones you have to build the team around.
yep ..... investing in , developing and having faith n belief in our own prospects coming through the ranks IMO is a better option than loanees (especially ones such as those Man city wasters last season for example!)

yep ..... investing in , developing and having faith n belief in our own prospects coming through the ranks IMO is a better option than loanees (especially ones such as those Man city wasters last season for example!)
Sort of agree, but on the other hand, if a loanee turns out to be shite....as often happens..... then he can be fired out at the end of his loan. No cancelling contract and paying compo. Harsh fact of life, I am afraid.

The difference with Carruthers is he has played for Robinson before, so unlike Payne who it sounds like wasn't signed with Clotet's blessing, Samir is here because KR wants him. Still lots of risk though.

I do think long term loans is going to be a football reality for L1 and L2 clubs. With the amount of money sloshing around above. teams can afford to hold onto players and wait it out on the contract. For clubs like OUFC, it will always a balance.

Happy with this calibre of signing. Hopefully the next 5-6 players coming in will be of similar standards.

Yes, I wasn't specifically referring to Carruthers. He is a known quantity to KR (and vice versa) so we know what we are getting. However, the principle is the same - if he is brilliant and becomes a mainstay of the team, CW might recall him and we are severely disadvantaged from Xmas onwards. I do accept that loans are a face of life in L1 and L2 (and in the Championship as well), and of course loans of the known quality of Carruthers are much more likely to make a positive difference than a couple of Man City youngsters who were patently out of their depth. In my mind, those are two very different types of loan.
However, I maintain that there are huge risks to becoming reliant on loan signings in anything but the short term.

Much as having excellent players join us on (hopefully!) season long loans is exciting, I really think the most important signings for the long term future are going to be the perhaps less well known ones that join us permanently.
These kind of permanent players are the model that was originally set up.
We need to start getting in the permanent spine of the squad the permanent players that were talked about, those possibly on the list shown to Eastwood.

These kind of permanent players are the model that was originally set up.
We need to start getting in the permanent spine of the squad the permanent players that were talked about, those possibly on the list shown to Eastwood.

couldn't agree more, never have done and never will like the loan system.
2 Decent players leave the building (no loans there then) and once again we are not in control of parts of our squad due to loans that presumably can be recalled .
Players come here and talk the usual, great club etc but rarely hang around to progress with us, would much prefer a squad of our own players that can progress together with the odd tweak each season rather than overhaul season after season.

I’m afraid I have to agree with what others have said about the signing of Carruthers. As good a player as he is there is an element of ‘meh’ about him coming here. The chances are,come January, we’ll hear a similar interview as his Oxford Mail one with a photo of him holding a Sunderland/Barnsley/Blackburn shirt. I hope I’m wrong but we’ve seen it too many times before.

Back
Top Bottom