Summer 2018 Official Transfer Thread ****

Is it true Jay Emanuel Thomas refused to run? Just heard from a friend who’s close with QPR but wondered if anyone here knew if this is true.
Wouldn't surprise me. Always had a bit of an attitude problem. I can recall him playing at Grenoble Road and making Dean Morgan look positively spritely in comparison.

Two Dean Morgan references on here in one day. The legend lives on.

Just seen the interviews with Dan Harris and the three new lads on iPlayer and have to say I’m feeling a bit of a buzz of excitement and anticipation on what might be starting to happen with our football club. Great interview, as usual, with Dan who’s bursting with enthusiasm with everything that’s happening around the club, and all three of the new guys seem impressive young men listening to their interviews. Green shoots are definitely starting to show and I’d say there’s indications that we’ve got lots to look forward to in the coming weeks and months.

Not normally like me to be too gloomy. BUT....I have thought from the word go that Tiger is full of hot air, and not a lot else. I have just been reading about the three boys we signed today for the u. 23 squad. One of them is ex Southampton (fine), while the second was released by Mansfield (hmm) and the third is a Sunday League player who won a competition run by a magazine....really? So this is honestly the back-up to the first team?! In L1 (as at most levels tbf) the good pros at that level will generally move where they get offered the best deal. The fact that we have signed no-one either means that: a) we do not have the budget to compete with the better L1 teams, or: b) that we are negotiating with 4-5 very good lower league players who will all sign in the next 14 days or so, and who will help us become a top 8-10 team in L1 next season. I know which of the two options my money is on......

Not normally like me to be too gloomy. BUT....I have thought from the word go that Tiger is full of hot air, and not a lot else. I have just been reading about the three boys we signed today for the u. 23 squad. One of them is ex Southampton (fine), while the second was released by Mansfield (hmm) and the third is a Sunday League player who won a competition run by a magazine....really? So this is honestly the back-up to the first team?! In L1 (as at most levels tbf) the good pros at that level will generally move where they get offered the best deal. The fact that we have signed no-one either means that: a) we do not have the budget to compete with the better L1 teams, or: b) that we are negotiating with 4-5 very good lower league players who will all sign in the next 14 days or so, and who will help us become a top 8-10 team in L1 next season. I know which of the two options my money is on......
Calm down! Dont be a nervous Nellie!

Although Johnson-Fikula was released by Mansfield, he originally came through the Notts Forest academy and has good pedigree. Taverner is described as a natural goalscorer and was identified by the recruitment department. Enthusiasm, a burning desire to succeed and an understanding of the opportunity that they’ve been given shines through in their interviews. Let’s give them a chance.

Although Johnson-Fikula was released by Mansfield, he originally came through the Notts Forest academy and has good pedigree. Taverner is described as a natural goalscorer and was identified by the recruitment department. Enthusiasm, a burning desire to succeed and an understanding of the opportunity that they’ve been given shines through in their interviews. Let’s give them a chance.
Hmm. Let's see......

Exactly, let's see and give them a chance.
I assume that these signings have ben made by Dan Harris/ KR? On that basis then let's back them. These guys will be back up to the first team players and hopefully 3-4 of the U23's will become top first team players.
I'm all for being open minded and all that. But if you have been released by Mansfield/have never played pro football at any level but have won a competion run by 442 magazine, then it is really really really unlikely you will cut it at a club that (supposedly) aspires to be one of the better L1 clubs. Good luck etc, but if this is the level we are pitching at, then I reserve the right to be underwhelmed . ..

I'm all for being open minded and all that. But if you have been released by Mansfield/have never played pro football at any level but have won a competion run by 442 magazine, then it is really really really unlikely you will cut it at a club that (supposedly) aspires to be one of the better L1 clubs. Good luck etc, but if this is the level we are pitching at, then I reserve the right to be underwhelmed . ..

Because there have never been late developers. Clearly Stuart Pearce and Kevin Phillips never happened.

Because there have never been late developers. Clearly Stuart Pearce and Kevin Phillips never happened.

f**k em. And Ian Wright. I’d never heard of them before they developed at a later age so they must never be trusted. Bin off the recruitment team too while we’re at it as well. ;)

I know his name has come up in various threads and I will never claim to be in the know but as an aside, a friend of mine is a sponsor at Wycombe and was told by Gareth Ainsworth yesterday that 'Oxford are all over Luke O'Nien'. There are a few clubs showing interest but supposedly Robinson is very keen and we are ready to offer a fee.

O'Nien has a year to go on his contract and Wycombe don't want to sell to Oxford.
He played very well for them last season, if C5 highlights are anything to go by.

I’m not impressed by this Rickets bloke. He couldn’t even break into a very poor and floundering Oxford Team!

Who are you expecting us to sign for an under 23's squad? This is about putting together a group of young and hungry players who will be playing regularly with the hope of working their way into the first team. Only a few weeks ago, some were saying that this was all hot air from Tiger and wouldn't happen, now we have a very strong youth set up and players coming in to boost this. And this is in addition to plans for the first team squad, not as a cheap alternative. Players will come in, and judging by everything we've seen in recent weeks, then I think we will see some decent investment.
But then I guess it's easier to moan than look at all the positives?

You have every right to be underwhelmed, fed up, depressed or even to be sitting in the corner rocking back and forward muttering Tiger's full name while pulling your teeth out but it does seem to me a little short sighted to dismiss a player out of hand just because of where he has been released from. The beauty of the U23s is that our very impressive recruitment team can take a few more risks as players are not on fees and are only on one year contracts. They have an excellent record (Pep's influence apart) of bringing in young talent so why not give them and the players the benefit of the doubt and actually see how they perform?

Last edited:
They're players brought in for free, on 1 year contracts (presumably pretty low wages) to play in the U-23 team. They're supposed to be gambles, not proven players or Chelsea youth England internationals.

Back
Top Bottom