Summer 2018 Official Transfer Thread ****

Striker - Deffo
LB - Deffo

RB - Disagree. Long, Norman, McMahon & even Hanson showed Tuesday he can do a job there

For me, I think we need another commanding CM. Mous isn’t getting any younger. Perhaps that can wait till summer though.

CB is the other obvious one. No chance Curtis Nelson signs a new deal.

I think Nelson will be gone in January

I think Nelson will be gone in January

I agree.

We will miss him but I really don’t think he is the player he was, whether that be due to the injury or the fact he has a foot out the door already! I can’t question his commitment but we used to see him brining the ball out of defence confidently and the occasional lung busting runs down the wing!

The big positive for me is the way Dickie has regained the form of the end of last season, he did a great job on Eaves against Gillingham and appears to be responding well to a more settled (ish) defensive unit with Mous plugging the holes.

I agree.

We will miss him but I really don’t think he is the player he was, whether that be due to the injury or the fact he has a foot out the door already! I can’t question his commitment but we used to see him brining the ball out of defence confidently and the occasional lung busting runs down the wing!

The big positive for me is the way Dickie has regained the form of the end of last season, he did a great job on Eaves against Gillingham and appears to be responding well to a more settled (ish) defensive unit with Mous plugging the holes.
If he does let’s hope we get a decent price to recoup what we spent, also I believe there is a sell on? If so then we need to get back what we’ve paid and hopefully a little bit in the pocket for the club.

Assuming Nelson is off... A young up and comer or established experienced CB?

Some reasonable options at LB out of contract. Mason at Doncaster would be a great addition

Some reasonable options at LB out of contract. Mason at Doncaster would be a great addition
Not sure how Greg Leigh is doing in Holland - According to wiki he’s only played 5 games for Breda - but he’s a left back I’ve always rated when I’ve seen him play against us.

I'm not so sure. Dickie is still young so I'd prefer a more experienced player along side him. I really think Raglan should be given a go.

We've also got Kelleher out on loan. Norman looks like he has the physicality to play centre half and of course we have Mous' and long.

My preference for signings would be at Left back, Striker and persuade Graham to terminate his wolves contract to play for us instead.

If Nelson goes we’ll need a new centre back, ideally a left footed centre back.

At different times over the last few seasons, whichever right footed centre back has done the left centre back job at times has looked uncomfortable. With Eastwood behind, Mous in front I wouldn’t be averse to a left footed Dickie type experienced centre back coming in. Anyone know of any decent / realistic under 23 left footed centre back backs who have played 30+ league games out there?

Tough one, because we have to look longer term as well.

The revival and tightening up at the back has been down to Mous as much as anything else. So you don't want to have to move him from his current position. However, long term I don't think having him there (or, if I'm being honest in the team at all) is feasible if we are realistically going for promotion AND consolidation one division higher.

Same goes for all positions. Love Ruffels as a player, but championship standard? RB with McMahon, Norman, Long OK for now, but later?

This is why replacing Nelson if (when) he goes in January is crucial both short term and long term.

As I've said before, it's not just up to us as to whether the loans go back to their parent clubs. But I'd like to see Mitchell, Smith, Garbutt and Carruthers off our roster and replaced by better options. Plus one extra striker. Won't happen, but we may, MAY just sneak into playoff contention if we continue picking up good results.

If we are looking for an experienced CB I’ve heard rumours of Alex Pearce 30 would be interested in coming here, not getting in the team or squad of 18 at derby, Wallingford lad who did excellent for Reading, as always wages maybe a problem tho

Wouldn’t be surprised to see quite a few new faces coming in hopefully we can get rid of some of the loans which are wasteful now & the ones who are out injuried for the season

Jon Obika replacement for new striker

Rob Hall replacement Jordan Graham

Mitchell for a permanent number 2

Luke Garbutt for a decent LB

Sam Smith for a better loan striker from a premiership U23 squad

Possibly another Centre back for either Raglan or Nelson

We can only have two new loans now as the maximum for a season is eight.

I’d vote to send back Garbutt and Smith and replace them like for like - second try at a left back and striker. Think the club may try to extend Mitchell’s loan in that case as he at least fills a spot properly.

Think we all know that Ranger is coming in to replace Obika and Graham may well sign as an extra wing option to replace Hall. Nelson is off in the summer if not before so possibly a centre half if they can find a decent enough one willing to sign permanently.

This is assuming, of course, that the likes of Browne and Holmes actually stay for the season rather than being recalled, and that was can actually convince Reading and Everton to take their duffers back!

Now that Robbo is being open about which, and how many, players blew us out in the summer, hopefully people will temper expectations for January.

Robbo was writing cheques in the media our bank couldnt cash.

Nothing wrong with that ambition, but hopefully quells any doubts that our current squad is anywhere near first choice in many cases.

Now that Robbo is being open about which, and how many, players blew us out in the summer, hopefully people will temper expectations for January.

Robbo was writing cheques in the media our bank couldnt cash.

Nothing wrong with that ambition, but hopefully quells any doubts that our current squad is anywhere near first choice in many cases.

OK - I'll bite. Where is this list of players that 'blew us out'? Genuine question, as Tom Eaves is the only name I've seen mentioned, and he din't 'blow us out', we got a firm 'no' from his chairman.

Last edited:
We can only have two new loans now as the maximum for a season is eight.

I’d vote to send back Garbutt and Smith and replace them like for like - second try at a left back and striker. Think the club may try to extend Mitchell’s loan in that case as he at least fills a spot properly.

Think we all know that Ranger is coming in to replace Obika and Graham may well sign as an extra wing option to replace Hall. Nelson is off in the summer if not before so possibly a centre half if they can find a decent enough one willing to sign permanently.

This is assuming, of course, that the likes of Browne and Holmes actually stay for the season rather than being recalled, and that was can actually convince Reading and Everton to take their duffers back!

You can also send Carruthers back as well

OK - I'll bite. Where is this list of players that 'blew us out'? Genuine question, as Tom Eaves is the only name I've seen mentioned.

Lyle Taylor, Jason Cummings, Hope Akpan, David Ball, Jack Payne, Eoin Doyle off the top of my head.

Back
Top Bottom