Summer 2018 Official Transfer Thread ****

Given the spine strength of the squad at gk, cb, midfield and Henry in the hole (it should not be forgotten how good he was once finally played in his best position) there is a real opportunity to sign quality in the forward positions

In the past - rightly given our size - we’ve had to make do with one marquee signing.

But with so many salaries being freed up we might be able to ‘go big’ on two proven forward players

Sure, we need two full backs but they should not be expensive at this level.

We might even be able to free up a bit more cash if Rothwell goes. A talented player but I won’t be weeping if he goes. A succession of managers have failed to get the best out of him and no one really knows his best position. I suspect it is Henry’s so he may be surplus regardless

Henry’s importance to the team really can’t be understated.

For a team that didn’t score many during the final stretch (and perhaps for good reason as our shape was designed to protect our own goal, more than attack the opposition), he was our only regular scorer.

Henry will be as important again next season, although we still need cover for when he’s injured/suspended.

If we do lose Rothwell I’m not sure we have a natural player for that position, although I personally would be interested to see how Hall does there if required. His movement is sharp, he’s very good at covering ground with the ball and he certainly has a great shot on him if given sight of goal.

Can't see Cameron Norman scoring 20+ goals.

And now as the club descends into greater chaos, we lack a first team coach. The Happy Bus might be commandeered for this role, leaving Dave T at the side of the road.

Descends into chaos?

Ahh FFS. Hopefully this means Karl has some players already lined up.

Only 6 figures. They've had our pants down
Agreed but unfortunately with only one year left we'd be fortunate to get a lot more. Hopefully we've got a decent sell on with clauses otherwise we're going to miss out on a lot of money.

Where is the six-figure fee mentioned?
Good job that KR was able to announce Eastwood staying before this was finalised, otherwise the doom-mongers would have been out in force.

If I were doing the PR at the club, I would time the RL announcement so that we had a new player lined up for the day after he was sold, given that it’s been long in the offing. We shall see.

With Ledson gone and Rothwell probably going as well (though I hope not) we will have lost our two best midfield players. The rebuild is looking more and more massive as time goes on.

I think Brannigan is, or will be, a better player than Ledson. He's at least as good at tackling and just seems a bit more composed.... And surely his shooting must be better!

As for Rothwell, he does move forward quickly with the ball, but more often than not it doesn't lead anywhere. Again, I think Hall is a better player in this kind of role (both seem a bit injury prone).

I'd like Rothwell to stay, but think we might be able to get a bit more creativity all round in our midfield the coming season.
With Ledson gone and Rothwell probably going as well (though I hope not) we will have lost our two best midfield players. The rebuild is looking more and more massive as time goes on.

I think Brannigan is, or will be, a better player than Ledson. He's at least as good at tackling and just seems a bit more composed.... And surely his shooting must be better!

As for Rothwell, he does move forward quickly with the ball, but more often than not it doesn't lead anywhere. Again, I think Hall is a better player in this kind of role (both seem a bit injury prone).

I'd like Rothwell to stay, but think we might be able to get a bit more creativity all round in our midfield the coming season.

I reckon that they are different players. Ledson could play with incredible intensity and could tackle as well as anybody at United over recent years.

Brannigan as you suggest is more composed, better on the ball and rarely gives the ball away. His shot against Blackburn in the first five minutes (whilst just missing) suggested that he has a better shot on him than Ledson (which you would expect!)

I reckon we may have it as a loan with an option to buy in January/next season. That way it works for all parties.
-Sheffield get rid of a player they don't want
-Carruthers stays on his current wage and if he likes it here takes a pay cut
-We get who we have been chasing and can buy if we think he's good enough.

Back
Top Bottom