General Subscription boxes

oufc1991

Did anybody else get the email about the new subscription boxes being produced I believe by the terrace there 22.99 a month

Do they say what you are likely to receive? I don't really see the point in these unless you get a lot more value of goods than the £22.99 per month. Why not just choose what you want, when you want it and then pay the price advertised? I can only deal with so many mugs, towels etc. and so it's not for me - each to their own though.

Honestly, I love that the club is thinking outside the box (if you'll pardon the pun) and coming up with alternative products and ways of generating revenue, but you'd have to be absolutely mad to sign up to this. That's about £270 a year for 12 instalments of what will presumably be the tat they can't shift from the club shop. Wild

Honestly, I love that the club is thinking outside the box (if you'll pardon the pun) and coming up with alternative products and ways of generating revenue, but you'd have to be absolutely mad to sign up to this. That's about £270 a year for 12 instalments of what will presumably be the tat they can't shift from the club shop. Wild
Sadly, have to agree. I do, once in a while, look at what the on-line shop is offering and, frankly, I find it hard to see anything that I would want to spend money on. Every season Mrs Lounger and I invest in a new replica shirt and we have over the years purchased coats, jackets, scarves, gloves, hats, etc. but to subscribe to a 'jamboree bag' of stuff every month for £22.99? I think not. There is not even a description of what will be in this box other than a collectible card(?) It's like one of those daft magazines that allow you to build a replica of the "Millenium Falcon" - first issue just £1.50 followed by 2000 at £9.50
I think somebody in the marketing department has lost it completely.

So after 18 months you will also have 18 random trading cards, to trade with other fans like a sticker album to complete a set?

Surprised they haven't announced it like a De Agostini part-works. First box only £5, followed by £23 a month for the next 17 months. [edit: Manor Lounger got there first with this take on it]

I am not sure who is responsible for this, is it the club asking the terrace to do this or vice versa, agree it seems a strange idea to me , I’m out on this as idea

The thing is it’s not really that cheap when you add it up it’s a non contractual purchase tho but still I wouldn’t personally get one or 18 I think the club or terrace have failed big time on this project who wants a tatty top or countless mugs as others have said I’d rather pay what the club as asking at the shop

The Terrace did this independently and I signed up for a few months over Christmas to see how it went. Each box contained items not available through the club shop or the terrace, some of which was great (exclusive Oxford til I die mug, money box), some less so (a tacky bottle opener, mouse mat, and a kilner jar that currently holders my suger cubes at work!!!). There was also a huge blanket that my little one now has on his bed and several mugs that means everyone at work now gets coffee in an Oxford one!!!

I'd guess that you probably get £30+ worth of stuff so decent value, but it's a gamble with what you get. It's good to see that this is now being linked directly to the club which hopefully means that more exclusive items can be included and the club maintain their cut.

If you get merchandise worth more than the subscription, how much is the club actually making out of it? Considering the Terrace will be taking their cut as well as the cost of making the products.

If you get merchandise worth more than the subscription, how much is the club actually making out of it? Considering the Terrace will be taking their cut as well as the cost of making the products.

I would assume both will have to cut their take but get the benefit of a greater level of sales, to a degree guaranteed (for this) that they can plan for and so less waste/risk.

Subscription boxes (aka crates) have been big business for a number of years in a number of niche markets. Things like wrestling are full of them, as well as various sectors and interests you’d see represented at ComicCon.

A guy I know does the design for one of the more popular crate subscription services, called Wrestle Crate: https://www.wrestlecrate.co.uk/

It’s usually a way for wholesalers to get rid of excess stock nobody wants so that it can be dressed up as something new and exciting by a third party, or for cheap and easy to make items to be made in bulk and sold in a job lot. They’re based on needing to constantly get new people to sign up as you’re lucky if anybody signs up for more than three months.

Looked at doing one at my old company and it was pretty much a given that it would be lucky to make it past six months before nobody was interested.

Will be interesting to see if The Terrace can make this work across the different clubs they have deals with.

Last edited:
Don't there pay a licence fee to the club? Whether it's a% of sales or a one of fee, I'm not sure.

Subscription boxes (aka crates) have been big business for a number of years in a number of niche markets. Things like wrestling are full of them, as well as various sectors and interests you’d see represented at ComicCon.

A guy I know does the design for one of the more popular crate subscription services, called Wrestle Crate: https://www.wrestlecrate.co.uk/
Lower league football is niche!? OMG

I am not sure who is responsible for this, is it the club asking the terrace to do this or vice versa, agree it seems a strange idea to me , I’m out on this as idea
The Terrace have been doing sub boxes since last summer (Club Terrace)

Back
Top Bottom