National News Student "Prison"...........

My son started at Nottingham a few weeks ago, he's not in the hall mentioned above and currently not moaning even though all his lectures have been online. Surely we need to realise that these are still kids, most away from home for the first time, in a strange city, in a box room which is £4k a year, in a weird world with a killer pandemic where even our glorious leader doesn't know the rules and his mate in charge of the world's biggest "democracy" has been struck by a disease which he was in denial about before. And it's 1 (one) student who asked not to be named providing the "substance" for the article. I'll tell him he's a beatnick (sic) snowflake next time I speak to the self centred (sic) cotton wool wrapped tw@ that isn't worth a toss.

Enjoy your bite!

Last edited:
My son started at Nottingham a few weeks ago, he's not in the hall mentioned above and currently not moaning even though all his lectures have been online. Surely we need to realise that these are still kids, most away from home for the first time, in a strange city, in a box room which is £4k a year, in a weird world with a killer pandemic. And it's 1 (one) student who asked not to be named providing the "substance" for the article.

They claim conditions are so bad some are being collected by their parents and leaving’.
Which suggests more than one student at that university is bemoaning their situation.
However, like I said before, follow the rules, use some common sense......, and two weeks will fly by. It’s only two weeks ffs.

They claim conditions are so bad some are being collected by their parents and leaving’.
Which suggests more than one student at that university is bemoaning their situation.
However, like I said before, follow the rules, use some common sense......, and two weeks will fly by. It’s only two weeks ffs.

Read it again, it's anecdotal from the father of "another student", possibly correct for this hall but not for others - my lad can exercise (doesn't want to) and can mix with a limited group (In line with current restrictions) but I guess that a 100% increase so suits your agenda with the count up to a magnificent 2

Last edited:
@stokeu has a good point. Young people are having a massive existential crisis right now. Apart from graduates, I’ve got PhD students and postdoctoral researchers who are really worried and uncertain about what their future holds. Everything they’ve lived through up til now has been based on what people have done before and suddenly everything has shifted and there’s no script. I can’t help because I got to move around the world at that stage. My daughter is 17 and was supposed to go on music tour this year. Going to Austria, Germany is a big deal for a west aussie which she did masses of fund raising for. That got canned. The fact she can’t go is “first world problems” no question, but is still a big shifting of goalposts for someone at a formative stage.

That’s my old hall and the corridor pictured is from Matlock block where I was housed. The rooms are very small but you do have a sink so toilet facilities are fine (for a student).

Good to see that they replaced the windows we broke (accidentally) after a night of heavy drinking and high jinks. Mind you, it was over 20 years ago.

Read it again, it's anecdotal from the father of "another student", possibly correct for this hall but not for others - my lad can exercise (doesn't want to) and can mix with a limited group but I guess that a 100% increase so suits your agenda with the count up to

Let’s face it, whoever is being quoted in this article won’t be the only student(s) complaining about their situation. There is nothing anyone can say that will attract sympathy from me; my daughter went to university, first time living away from home, looked at it positively, worked hard, played hard and earn’t a decent degree. Different times, yes, but any challenges that arose she, and her housemates, just got and dealt with them. As they arose. No complaints. She didn’t know what those challenges might be in advance like today’s students did with the possibility of local or national lockdowns and restrictions!

Since when were 18 year olds 'Kids" I'm pretty sure they are defined as adults. Its only because the modern 18 year old has been driven everywhere by mummy all their life that they still act like kids.

Since when were 18 year olds 'Kids" I'm pretty sure they are defined as adults. Its only because the modern 18 year old has been driven everywhere by mummy all their life that they still act like kids.
I feel an “OK boomer” coming on.

Jeez...like the challenges are still the same. Whether to have another drink in the Uni bar and whatever she chose to do next with whoever, or fail her thesis in Interpretive Dance in Sub Saharan Africa would be my guess as opposed to going out and getting a virus that could kill you whilst adhering to the law that restricts movement, contacts etc.

Jeez...like the challenges are still the same. Whether to have another drink in the Uni bar and whatever she chose to do next with whoever, or fail her thesis in Interpretive Dance in Sub Saharan Africa would be my guess as opposed to going out and getting a virus that could kill you whilst adhering to the law that restricts movement, contacts etc.
A reasonable grade in her Law degree set her up nicely thanks. No expectations that anything should be handed to her on a plate. Work hard for it and you can achieve a great deal. No disrespect intended to you as a parent by the way.

My son started at Nottingham a few weeks ago, he's not in the hall mentioned above and currently not moaning even though all his lectures have been online. Surely we need to realise that these are still kids, most away from home for the first time, in a strange city, in a box room which is £4k a year, in a weird world with a killer pandemic where even our glorious leader doesn't know the rules and his mate in charge of the world's biggest "democracy" has been struck by a disease which he was in denial about before. And it's 1 (one) student who asked not to be named providing the "substance" for the article. I'll tell him he's a beatnick (sic) snowflake next time I speak to the self centred (sic) cotton wool wrapped tw@ that isn't worth a toss.

Enjoy your bite!

I was referring to the hard done by types in the article, don`t take it personally. :)
Those complaining that they got a chicken dinner delivered rather than their vegan/veggy option.
Well that suggests to me that that they are getting fed and aren`t hungry.
They have a roof over their heads and are getting their education they are paying for, albeit it in a different way.
It`s 2 weeks of staying in with most of the mod cons..... its not a prison or a life time.

Back
Top Bottom