National News Student "Prison"...........

Those complaining that they got a chicken dinner delivered rather than their vegan/veggy option.
Well that suggests to me that that they are getting fed and aren`t hungry.
I suspect you'll sneer (nothing new there) but as someone who doesn't eat meat I would be as likely to eat a dog turd as a bit of chicken. So if people are being provided with food, it might be a good idea to give them something they'll eat.

I can just hear the 'if they are hungry enough they'll eat it' responses from the usual suspects on here - but they are not in prison and in fact are paying a lot of money for their accommodation. Not eating meat is not some trendy fad (for many people) it is a serious decision, and the least those providing meals can do is to respect that. I wonder if they are catering to other students' dietary requirements (ethical, religious and medical)?

From what I can remember that first experience of halls of residence were prisons back in the 1970's even without Covid. I fought on the London Road terrace when that was social acceptable and no I am not proud of that but it was a breeze compared to the first term at uni, just a personal view and yes not social acceptable.
Have had similar conversations with guys going into the armed services that first change in life was always the most difficult and no doubt always will be.
That said it is a great basis to move forward in life. We all grow up at different stages in life, some too early and some never do but this bland they should man up is why too many end up discussing life's problems with psychologists in later life or worse.

Last edited:
I suspect you'll sneer (nothing new there) but as someone who doesn't eat meat I would be as likely to eat a dog turd as a bit of chicken. So if people are being provided with food, it might be a good idea to give them something they'll eat.

I can just hear the 'if they are hungry enough they'll eat it' responses from the usual suspects on here - but they are not in prison and in fact are paying a lot of money for their accommodation. Not eating meat is not some trendy fad (for many people) it is a serious decision, and the least those providing meals can do is to respect that. I wonder if they are catering to other students' dietary requirements (ethical, religious and medical)?

Swap with your roomies? Don`t eat the chicken? Order a Just Eat? Deliveroo? ....... its two weeks.... well its probably only one now!

I can not believe you paired ethical with religious............ different topic completely but religious slaughter should not supercede animal welfare. Period.

Totally agree but not understanding this emotional change in the first move from home is just nonsense. It is perhaps the first big change most young adults face and we have faced in for years. The only difference is this years uni intake are expected to just be different.
I'm sure going to real war is worse but everybody I knew who went to war bottled those experiences up to the detriment of their life because man up is what they were indoctrinated to do.

Swap with your roomies? Don`t eat the chicken? Order a Just Eat? Deliveroo? ....... its two weeks.... well its probably only one now!

I can not believe you paired ethical with religious............ different topic completely but religious slaughter should not supercede animal welfare. Period.
Blimey, a squirrel.

I made no comment on what the ethical, religious or dietary requirements were - never mind if they were anything at all to do with any sort of meat or how it was killed. (Maybe not eating pork at all, people with intolerances, those with allergies etc?) Animal welfare is a completely different discussion (and a bit rich coming from someone who seemingly thinks it is OK to kill animals solely for his own enjoyment anyway!).

Some people just like to froth.
I don’t know who this was aimed at, but if it’s generally aimed at those who are more than slightly frustrated and irritated by people of any age saying life is unfair then yep, I’ll take the hook, I like to froth.
It’s good for the soul.

My uni was designed by a prison architect and had a very "prisony" feel to it - glad I'm not stuck in there until Xmas.

Listening to interviews with these kids they are being a bit melodramatic about the situation, but they've saddled themselves with some £50k of debt for this bullshit. Combine that with terrible job prospects on the other side and I suppose you can let them off for moaning.

Do you have kids @Essexyellows and did you go to college yourself?

I`m currently a student at Leicester College! Foundation degree with ILM. I know..... late developer. Funded by the Apprenticeship Levy. :)

Prior to that I completed a self funded degree with the University of Leicester distance learning, not "job related".

When I left school, post O levels, I got a job with an apprenticeship spending one day a week at Oxford CFE, probably long demolished.
40 something years ago only the top percentile went to University now it seems to have become a right of passage with something like 40% going to "Uni".
Interesting read on the true value of a UK Degree:

I`m currently a student at Leicester College! Foundation degree with ILM. I know..... late developer. Funded by the Apprenticeship Levy. :)

Prior to that I completed a self funded degree with the University of Leicester distance learning, not "job related".

When I left school, post O levels, I got a job with an apprenticeship spending one day a week at Oxford CFE, probably long demolished.
40 something years ago only the top percentile went to University now it seems to have become a right of passage with something like 40% going to "Uni".
Interesting read on the true value of a UK Degree:

Industrial Light and Magic ? The Star Wars / Disney special effects studio . Well I never expected that.

Labour has a lot to answer for with their “50% of school leavers to go to university pledge” and apparently we were told we won’t have enough plumbers bricklayers and butchers post brexit. What was wrong with old fashioned trades and apprenticeships?

Industrial Light and Magic ? The Star Wars / Disney special effects studio . Well I never expected that.

Labour has a lot to answer for with their “50% of school leavers to go to university pledge” and apparently we were told we won’t have enough plumbers bricklayers and butchers post brexit. What was wrong with old fashioned trades and apprenticeships?

A skill gained is never lost. ;)
That was my first apprenticeship.....

Don’t tell me, you got a third at the university of life but saved a fortune in tuition fees

When I left school the only folk who went to University were the "cream of the crop" and the University system we currently see had not been privatised and operated very differently.
The studious types went from O level to Sixth form and had an option of 3 A levels.
If you done well in your A levels then you could apply for a maintenance grant to go University where the education was state funded.
Around 1 in 7 over 18`s went to University although there were only around 40 or so Universities.
Students sat annual exam`s with a minimum pass required of 40% with 1 re-sit or you were out.
The "scores" from the annual exams were added up and averaged with the "Finals" to grade the degree.

Then Mrs T decided to unleash the free market into further and higher education................. and we end up where we are today.

My older sister was the first person in our family to go to University and got a First Class Honours in Fine Art, and now works in the Bodleian after an eclectic career in journalism, archives and libraries.

When I left school the only folk who went to University were the "cream of the crop" and the University system we currently see had not been privatised and operated very differently.
The studious types went from O level to Sixth form and had an option of 3 A levels.
If you done well in your A levels then you could apply for a maintenance grant to go University where the education was state funded.
Around 1 in 7 over 18`s went to University although there were only around 40 or so Universities.
Students sat annual exam`s with a minimum pass required of 40% with 1 re-sit or you were out.
The "scores" from the annual exams were added up and averaged with the "Finals" to grade the degree.

Then Mrs T decided to unleash the free market into further and higher education................. and we end up where we are today.

My older sister was the first person in our family to go to University and got a First Class Honours in Fine Art, and now works in the Bodleian after an eclectic career in journalism, archives and libraries.

My bleary eyes read 'archives' as 'anchovies' at first scan. That really would be eclectic.

Back
Top Bottom