Stoneground WHITE flour available in South Oxfordshire

One more thing - some of the larger supermarkets with in-store bakeries will actually give you fresh, dried yeast if you ask nicely. Actually, they’re not allowed to give it you, but they’ll sell it you for 1p.

Definitely not in my Waitrose (Abingdon). They have white for sure.

That's where I got mine. Perhaps this is age-related. I shall check after I use my soon-to-arrive Northumbrian malarkey.

I’ve been making sourdoughs from the same starter for about 12 years. I Waitrose own brand Canadian Strong flour, or good old Allinsons. The co-op one is pretty good. And yes, Added Ingredients in Abingdon are good too.

Right. Waitrose Canadian white flour maybe wonderful (probly), ok or not, but it's not stoneground, I surmise, otherwise it would be dearer and they would shout about it on the label, like the Waitrose Canadian wholemeal. I was in Waitrose,Wallingford yesterday and checked it out while recalibrating the milfometer (low readings). This matters because a. stoneground absorbs more water (as my recent Asda 69p flour (nice loaf, btw) and underway now Wessex Mills 195p efforts prove*) and b. allegedly and quite believably it tastes better.

I'm using Wessex Mills because the Bear shop has it and it's convenient for when I'm coping with Archibald, and because my much-vaunted Northumbrian stoneground white flour's not been delivered by Amazon yet.

* I could add into that parenthesis that I have made a wholemeal stoneground loaf (using Waitrose Canadian etc) and the water measure from Hamblins was just right. Also that I have a photograph of this loaf, and it's nice - trust me.

Last edited:
This here is a loaf made with a sourdough starter and white stoneground flour.

In the foreground is Lady Cannell's personal handbag, as I know there's a lot of interest in how the Cannells tote their s**t around,

What? No platinum card??
After all this time I find that You sir, are just the soup of the hoi polloi!
Shock doesn’t even come close baker boy!??

How’s it taste with a bit of ‘I can’t believe it’s not butter’ couple of chunks of PEK in there and I’d bite your hand off!

Back
Top Bottom