EPL Stoke City

Gary Baldi

From the frying pan into the fire. They've appointed Paul Lambert as manager. A quite terrible appointment.

To be fair with the massive gap in standard even in the prem itself you are always likely to see the same faces regardless of their track record to a certain extent..
Wouldn't it be nice to see the so called Top Managers at clubs like Stoke and then you would soon discover how good they really are, much easier to manage a big club full of stars and with endless funds.

Mark Hughes changed the stereotype that hung around Stoke and had them 9th on 3 occasions but even that wasn't enough once they had a dip in results.

I guess Paul Lambert is more of a conservative manager that may set them up not to get beat to help preserve their prem status which with all the money about is all club owners care about.

To be fair with the massive gap in standard even in the prem itself you are always likely to see the same faces regardless of their track record to a certain extent..
Wouldn't it be nice to see the so called Top Managers at clubs like Stoke and then you would soon discover how good they really are, much easier to manage a big club full of stars and with endless funds.

Mark Hughes changed the stereotype that hung around Stoke and had them 9th on 3 occasions but even that wasn't enough once they had a dip in results.

I guess Paul Lambert is more of a conservative manager that may set them up not to get beat to help preserve their prem status which with all the money about is all club owners care about.
It's ALL about the obscene amount of tv money available with Premiership status and survival sadly....it has been for some seasons too....both FA Cup (oldest club football competition in the world) and League cup (with a list of illustrious previous winner's ;)....oh,& scum :sick: )have been devalued by prem players being rested,weakened sides fielded, and deliberate disrespect shown to lower league sides.

Nothing says 'preparing for life in the Championship' than employing Paul Lambert.

I think that's one relegation place sewn up in the PL this year.

"Mark Hughes changed the stereotype that hung around Stoke"

Yep he was building for the future,trying to get the team keeping the ball on the ground and playing football.
Oh wait,he just gave 37 year old Peter Crouch a new 1 year contract !

To play Devil's Advocate in Lambert's favour - the guy's never actually been relegated.

Took Norwich from League One to Premiership and then kept them up for a season; at Villa, his teams were pretty tedious, but they were also underfunded (in Premiership terms) so he had to play a bunch of younger players. Who knows - they might have gone down the year he was sacked....but they certainly dropped without a fight the year after he'd left.
Was pretty uninspiring at Blackburn & Wolves - but he had less than a season at each, and finished mid-table both years.

He's certainly not an exciting appointment - would've been great to see them give a younger up-and-coming manager a shot - but there's been worse hires.

Its quite funny watching the locals go into meltdown after they were arguing who would be best out of Brendan rogers and Sean dyche. He is already know an as PFL on some message boards, the f being none too complimentary

Its quite funny watching the locals go into meltdown after they were arguing who would be best out of Brendan rogers and Sean dyche. He is already know an as PFL on some message boards, the f being none too complimentary

Well the ones that matter sang "Paul Lamberts barmy army" for about 10 minutes solid at OT last night.

I think one of the most depressing things in football is seeing the way fans turn on a manager who has previously brought them some level of success. I guess managers go into this with eyes wide open, and know that one day, if they stick around long enough, they will hear the chants and see the banners. I imagine Mark Hughes will console himself by viewing his bank balance and enquiring as to the availability of a post-breakfast tee-off time.

To balance this, one of the funniest things is when the new manager is not the one the fans imagined they would get.

Lambert = cheap option, who's position at Stoke City will probably be reassessed at the end of this season (if not before)

Last edited:
I thought Hughes would of managed to keep Stoke up. Unfortuantly the club listened to the fans and got rid.

Maybe it is a lesson to football fans of being careful what you wish for.

This might give Stoke fans a reality check that they this massive club they all think they are.

Back
Top Bottom