Stirling and VAR

Foley

After the 'penalty' last night I just don't get how people can be against VAR.
On the basis that it will be designed to stop obvious errors that is what it will do.
Of course 'experts' on TV will argue about marginal decisions and decry VAR but things like last night simply won't happen where VAR is available.

On the basis that it will be designed to stop obvious errors that is what it will do.
Of course 'experts' on TV will argue about marginal decisions and decry VAR but things like last night simply won't happen where VAR is available.

Agreed - I was at a Ligue 1 match earlier in the season and VAR was used to disallow one goal and award another so result-changing interventions.

Of course, Stirling or his teammates could have told the ref what happened......

Agree they could have told the ref but rarely happens in modern sport..

I didn't think Jude Stirling was still playing?

I'll say it again - retrospective punishments. That would soon stamp it out.

Errors from refs are one thing (and have always been part of the game from Sunday park football to world cup finals) but cheating is unacceptable. A three match ban and a healthy fine (based on a percentage of earnings) for 'simulation'.

Yep, I'm still against it. I'll happily accept the odd mistake by a ref if the alternative is a 5 minute wait for the VAR to make a decision. Football is about the emotion of the moment. If you take that away you lose so much of what's good about the sport.

I'll say it again - retrospective punishments. That would soon stamp it out.

Errors from refs are one thing (and have always been part of the game from Sunday park football to world cup finals) but cheating is unacceptable. A three match ban and a healthy fine (based on a percentage of earnings) for 'simulation'.

It wasn't a dive though, he has gone to shoot and kicked the ground and tripped over. There is no way Sterling meant to dive.

It wasn't a dive though, he has gone to shoot and kicked the ground and tripped over. There is no way Sterling meant to dive.
Yes, but he knew it wasn't a penalty. I was talking generally and in this case t's a sin of omission rather than commission maybe (and less heinous a crime than actually diving), but he should have spoken up - and judging by his words after the game he knew that.

Yes, but he knew it wasn't a penalty. I was talking generally and in this case t's a sin of omission rather than commission maybe (and less heinous a crime than actually diving), but he should have spoken up - and judging by his words after the game he knew that.
I don't disagree but you could argue that the refetee makes the decisions so let them.
In cricket Stewart Broad got a ball and was clearly out but the umpire missed it. The argument was the umpires make the reckons so I will let them as they get it wrong for both sides.
It would be good in my view had Stirling been honest but it happens less and less.

Having seen plenty of laughable decisions given by VAR in the A-League this season and the fact it is a Cheaters Charter as it is currently used then I'm against it. The same bad decisions are being made by the officials just with an added step involved. Handballs which are clearly not deliberate still get given when hit from point blank (ie. a couple of feet at most). As for the Cheaters Charter, it is noticeable that forwards are throwing themselves down in the box and claiming a penalty (which of course then gets checked under VAR so lots of stoppages), even if the forward initiates any contact they are getting given, yet if they aren't given then there is no comeback on the forward for diving. VAR doesn't stop bad decisions by Officials so keep it as it is.

Of virtually all the A-League games I've seen, the pundits have ended up talking about poor VAR decisions rather than the game itself. One in particular the decision was so bad that Mark Bosnich went on a 5 minute rant.

Having seen plenty of laughable decisions given by VAR in the A-League this season and the fact it is a Cheaters Charter as it is currently used then I'm against it. The same bad decisions are being made by the officials just with an added step involved. Handballs which are clearly not deliberate still get given when hit from point blank (ie. a couple of feet at most). As for the Cheaters Charter, it is noticeable that forwards are throwing themselves down in the box and claiming a penalty (which of course then gets checked under VAR so lots of stoppages), even if the forward initiates any contact they are getting given, yet if they aren't given then there is no comeback on the forward for diving. VAR doesn't stop bad decisions by Officials so keep it as it is.

Of virtually all the A-League games I've seen, the pundits have ended up talking about poor VAR decisions rather than the game itself. One in particular the decision was so bad that Mark Bosnich went on a 5 minute rant.
I get your point but you say VAR doesn't stop bad decisions?
You are surely not suggesting that Man City would have still had a penalty decision last night with VAR??

I get your point but you say VAR doesn't stop bad decisions?
You are surely not suggesting that Man City would have still had a penalty decision last night with VAR??

It will stop some bad decisions but then it will create some.

One jumps to mind when a Central Coast player (iirc the team) had the ball point blank blasted at him by a defender on the goal line and it went in after hitting his chest and just about brushing his arm (his arm didn't move). The Ref gave a goal but just about everything is reviewed so VAR got hold of it and told the Ref to have a look. He did and changed his mind disallowing the goal. It was not a clear and obvious error, in fact the original decision was a perfectly good decision.

Another example, a Ref gave a free kick for a foul outside the box as it all happened outside the box with maybe the forward's arm going over the corner of the box. Even though it all happened outside the box for some reason the VAR official called the Ref to have a look who then gave a penalty. The explanation given by the Officials for the decision didn't make it any clearer as to why either. This was the one where Mark Bosnich went on an epic rant.

So as said earlier, all VAR is really doing is adding another layer to the process (and time) of still getting bad decisions from Officials. Using the examples of the Aussie officials, if Darren Deadman was using it I would continue to expect the same level of poor decision making from him as if he was without VAR.

Back
Top Bottom