Stewart Donald to buy Sunderland

Suggest recommending humble pie as Chartle could do with some of that after his comments about Tiger's takeover here and how your takeover has been financed.
Do you know how it has been financed - been a few myths flying around?

Do you know how it has been financed - been a few myths flying around?

Only based on what has been said on here. Basically Charlie got his knickers in a twist over the monies owed to Darryl Eales, our previous owner, being secured on future transfer fees, and then Oxford being called debt free, yet it appears the same has happened at Sunderland except secured against the PL parachute payments.

Only based on what has been said on here. Basically Charlie got his knickers in a twist over the monies owed to Darryl Eales, our previous owner, being secured on future transfer fees, and then Oxford being called debt free, yet it appears the same has happened at Sunderland except secured against the PL parachute o .
Think it is slightly different.
The club have £125m worth of debt which Ellis Short has written off. It was offered to SD but he refused, which was good as it would have meant the club owed him £125m which he could have taken out tax free. So current debts written off, which was a worry. Hats off to Ellis.

SD requested he pays Ellis Short over two years, to free up capital for our promotion push, and that has been secured against the parachute payments. However those payments will not be used to pay Ellis Short, unless it all goes Pete Tong. So the club debt free, but SD owes ES £40m.

Happy days hopefully

The club have £125m worth of debt which Ellis Short has written off. It was offered to SD but he refused, which was good as it would have meant the club owed him £125m which he could have taken out tax free. So current debts written off, which was a worry. Hats off to Ellis.

SD requested he pays Ellis Short over two years, to free up capital for our promotion push, and that has been secured against the parachute payments. However those payments will not be used to pay Ellis Short, unless it all goes Pete Tong. So the club debt free, but SD owes ES £40m.

Happy days hopefully

So the same really then, Tiger's payment to DE secured against future transfer payments, whereas Stewart Donald's is secured against parachute payments.

Happy days hopefully

I thought you lot had 50m of bank debts as well?

I thought you lot had 50m of bank debts as well?
No - all £125m written off - no debt at all
SD had to prove he had £50m spare (in his piggybank) to finace his plan

Short wrote off all debt - around £125 million, which included bank debt. Incredible gesture from ES.

Donald agreed to pay £40 million for the club over the next 2 years. This is secured against parachute payments. He has paid around £5 million so far.

Sunderland had weekly running costs of around £500k-a-week at the time of the takeover. SD is also responsible for paying past transfer fees of at least £25 million.

Quote from CM:
The way in which Ellis has allowed us to do it is to pay some of the £40m in stages, to help us with the cash flow requirement this summer.

The reality when you do this kind of deal, and there is still money outstanding on the deal, is that the person who has that money outstanding will want to take security against something so that if the owners then didn’t pay, he would have something to cover his money.

"That money is secured against parachute payments but that is just him making sure he gets the full value of the £40m from us.

A tad hypocritical, ‘eh?!

It would be a logical move if it is a decent length contract as he wouldn't need to move. Though it depends if he is willing to drop into the NL.
I'm not convinced he needs to, he would do well in League 2. That being said, I can't see him moving and there are a lot of northern teams in League 2.

On Stewart Donald, guy loves a train set doesn't he!

I'm not convinced he needs to, he would do well in League 2. That being said, I can't see him moving and there are a lot of northern teams in League 2.

On Stewart Donald, guy loves a train set doesn't he!

That was my thought on him moving there due to proximity more than anything. Wonder if Forest Green would be interested considering he played for them previously.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Taylor in League One next season. A big spending club in the league or two below (Wrexham anyone?) would entice him I’m sure, but I do feel he is being written off slightly by some.

Yes he’s had a poor season, but there are contextual reasons which help to explain that.

Much will depend on how long he wants his next contract to be for I imagine, as well as it’s value.

• React
Reactions: Ian
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Taylor in League One next season. A big spending club in the league or two below (Wrexham anyone?) would entice him I’m sure, but I do feel he is being written off slightly by some.

Yes he’s had a poor season, but there are contextual reasons which help to explain that.

Much will depend on how long he wants his next contract to be for I imagine, as well as it’s value.
I would be really surprised if Wrexham would go for him ( Mullen is a far more prolific striker).
He didn't score at Oxford and some suggested that was due to formation/ 1 upfront. At Port Vale he played alongside Harrison ( who he previously scored a hat full for Bristol Rovers). I wondered whether Taylor would simply start scoring again at Vale but his record has not suggested that he is still the player that he was.
Like you I reckon a L2 club could go for him. Good luck to him regardless as he has been a teriffic player for Oxford.

If a league 2 club might go for him that doesn't rule out him returning...

• React
Reactions: MJB
Back
Top Bottom